Laramie Boomerang says it's Christensen

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Here is a link to the article:

http://www.laramieboomerang.com/article ... 488621.txt

Mizzou Asst. Head Coach Wyoming bound

By BOB HAMMOND Boomerang Sports Editor

Veteran Missouri assistant head coach Dave Christensen is in line to become the next head football coach at the University of Wyoming, according to a source close to the situation.

Christensen and his wife, Susie, reportedly flew into Laramie Saturday night from Kansas City following Missouri’s 40-37 loss to Kansas at Arrowhead Stadium. They were scheduled to meet with UW officials last night.

According to the source, a deal between Christensen and the University of Wyoming has been reached in principle, but it was still in the hands of the attorneys and was not yet official.

UW officials would neither confirm nor deny the report other than to say that UW athletics director Tom Burman “would not comment on any candidate or any particular situation until a deal was in place.”

According to the source, Christensen and his wife were to remain in Laramie overnight before returning to Columbia later today for a Missouri seniors’ function. They would then return to Laramie early this coming week for a press conference to announce his hiring.

Earlier this week, Burman, UW president Tom Buchanan and UW Senior Associate Athletics Director of Eternal Affairs Kevin McKinney were reported to have met and talked with three candidates for the Wyoming position. They met with Christensen in Columbia, Mo.; Nebraska wide receivers coach Ted Gilmore in Lincoln, Neb.; and former Louisville and Michigan State head coach John L. Smith in Lansing, Mich.

Wyoming has been actively pursuing a new coach since letting Joe Glenn go a little less than a week ago. Glenn had a six-year record of 30-41 overall, including a 15-31 mark in the Mountain West Conference.

Christensen is considered by many to be one of the top offensive coaches in the nation, and has coached under Gary Pinkel since 1992. He has been Pinkel’s offensive coordinator since 1997, and has coached the offensive line the past 16 seasons. Christensen is in his eighth season as Assistant Head Coach — the highest-ranking assistant on Pinkel’s staff.

This past spring, Rivals.com ranked Christensen as the nation’s No. 1 offensive coach.

Heading into yesterday’s game with Kansas, Missouri was averaging 45.7 points and 512.3 yards per game.

Missouri’s unique no-huddle spread offense has drawn numerous accolades since Christensen conceived and installed it prior to the 2005 season.

Last season, the Tiger offense was one of the nation’s most potent offenses, scoring a school-record 558 points (smashing the old mark of 399), and ranking among the NCAA’s top 10 in three major categories — total offense (5th at 490.29 ypg), scoring offense (8th at 39.86 ppg) and passing offense (9th at 314.07 ypg).

Christensen’s offense produced no fewer than three major national awards candidates. Then junior quarterback Chase Daniel was a Heisman Trophy finalist (finishing fourth in final Heisman voting), while senior tight end Martin Rucker and freshman wide receiver Jeremy Maclin were both consensus First Team All-Americans, marking the first time in MU history it has had two consensus first teamers in a single year.

Prior to joining Pinkel’s staff at Toledo in 1992, Christensen has been an assistant coach at Idaho State, Washington, Spokane Falls Community College, Eastern Washington and Western Washington. He also served as a high school coach in Everett (Wash.) and Sehome (Wash).

Christensen, who played at Washington from 1980-82, earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in sociology from Western Washington in 1985 and a Master of Science degree in college instruction/sports science from Eastern Washington University in 1988.

Christensen and his wife, Susie, are the parents of three children — Katie, D.J. and Emily.

Bob Hammond’s e-mail address is bobh@laramie boomerang.com
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
one-smooth-poke
Ranch Hand

Welcome home Dave Christensen. Guess my source was on the money. I think this is a great hire. But, as with all leaders, it will depend on who he surrounds himself with.
TheBuckhole
Buckaroo
Has liked: 2 times

Sounds like we got a real football coach, as opposed to the cheerleader we let go earlier this week.
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

I am excited about the hire, but I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch, until the deal is done he could be stolen by a bigger program.
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
one-smooth-poke
Ranch Hand

Everything is done. Waiting on DC's lawyer to look it over and him to sign (and the Trustee's). It is a done deal. Also, apparently he wants to talk to his players at Mizzo before the announcement is made. There is talk of a presser tomorrow afternoon.
SnipeyPoke
Buckaroo

He will be out of his environment with less talent and a harder sell for recruiting. Hopefully he can do the same with less so we can hire another one in 2 years...
Go Pokes!
Wyocowboyj
Buckaroo

Do you think that some of the other interviews may be looking for the Coordinators? That would be awesome if we get DC as the HC and then we got a Ted Gilmore to be the OC with the assumption that DC will only be in Laramie a short time and then we would had the reins to Gilmore. Wouldn't that be gret DC as HC, Gilmore as OC, and Van Diest as DC. Both of the later would work for a few years as an understudy and when DC turns this program around and heads to the bigger payday we have our new HC already on campus (ala Boise State) does this sound familiar? I remember hearing just about the same thing in Burmans press conference on the ongoing search. Just a thought but could be in the works.
one-smooth-poke
Ranch Hand

From what I have been told, the other interviews were legit. They were for heach coach positions. With that being said, there was in interesting "snippet" that got out. Apparently Gilmore MAY (strong emphasis on MAY) be interested in a OC job. However, as always, the coach determines his own staff. So, the AD has brought up Gilmores "interest" but that is entirely up to DC. Besides, would we really want to bring in a HC where the AD dictates whom he will hire?
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 34 times

DC is a great hire. With him on board... who does he go after on defense? Does he stay local and keep Breske and English?
ImageImageImageImage
one-smooth-poke
Ranch Hand

English may stay. Breske is up in the air. On going talks today. Announcement is coming today or tomorrow by 4pm.

On a side note. I have to laugh out loud. The "other board" is supposed to have all these "contacts" and the Wyonation board constantly scoops them. Great job to everyone who "knows" someone. We scooped them on the Glenn firing and scooped them on the DC hire. I am laughing so dam hard! They have even been posting what we are posting here (after we have posted it)! Ian has no connections...lol. He is constantly getting scooped.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

He may be a great hire BUT when the rest of the nation hears who we announce as our next Head Coach, they will be saying: "WHO? Never heard of him." I think many high school players will also be asking: "WHO is that?"

We had a chance to get a big name guy here and we squandered it away and hired another small time coach. We had a chance to REALLY bring some much needed recognition to our University and football program.

I also think Missouri has only been as good as they have been because the Big 12 north is so weak. The greatest thing that ever happened to Missouri was Nebraska & Colorado falling apart and Kansas st. no longer a power. It's not because Missouri finally stepped up and started competing.
I'm good for 3!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 34 times

I don't really have any "contacts", I stumble across a lot of info from a friend who's connected with the team.. if it wasn't for him, I'd be walking around here talking to myself. :) But it's good that we can get news like this, good for the fans of Poke Nation (and WyoNation!), and to bring some credibility to this site.. hopefully making it one of the top Cowboy sites out there. I don't try to one-up GWG, I just chug along and keep hoping people stop by. :thumb:
ImageImageImageImage
one-smooth-poke
Ranch Hand

MrTitleist wrote:I don't really have any "contacts", I stumble across a lot of info from a friend who's connected with the team.. if it wasn't for him, I'd be walking around here talking to myself. :) But it's good that we can get news like this, good for the fans of Poke Nation (and WyoNation!), and to bring some credibility to this site.. hopefully making it one of the top Cowboy sites out there. I don't try to one-up GWG, I just chug along and keep hoping people stop by. :thumb:

I am about the same way. I got a couple "bro's" who are in the athletics department higher up who throw me a bone every now and again. Thats how I knew about DC coming to Laramie for the 2nd interview, which was really to sign the contract and look through the facilities and to talk to any of the Glenn staff that was interested in staying on. English will stay (or so I hear) with a nice little pay raise. Breske is unknown. "Rumor" is that 3 or 4 other assistant coaches and position coaches will come with him from Mizzou. That would be nice! Especially if they are familiar with his system of offense.
WyNative
Ranch Hand

This will be great IF he can recruit the players he needs to run his system. A good system ain't poop if you don't have the talent to run it.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 237 times

Definitely, WR is the position we have to seriously upgrade to be successful in his system. A QB is the most important position for his offense, but I think we might be ok there. I wouldnt be surprised if he brings in a JUCO QB although.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 237 times

Cornpoke wrote:He may be a great hire BUT when the rest of the nation hears who we announce as our next Head Coach, they will be saying: "WHO? Never heard of him." I think many high school players will also be asking: "WHO is that?"
Wow, I am of the opinion the rest of the nation will be "how did wyoming get a guy like that" and "why would he choose wyoming." Of the potential hires, I think we clearly got the best (youd seriously prefer John L Smith or Ted Gilmore?). HS players will know of Chase Daniel and the MO offense. Plus, he recruits TX and OK (the places we used to recruit when we were successful).
Cowduck
Cowpoke

OrediggerPoke wrote:
Cornpoke wrote:He may be a great hire BUT when the rest of the nation hears who we announce as our next Head Coach, they will be saying: "WHO? Never heard of him." I think many high school players will also be asking: "WHO is that?"
Wow, I am of the opinion the rest of the nation will be "how did wyoming get a guy like that" and "why would he choose wyoming." Of the potential hires, I think we clearly got the best (youd seriously prefer John L Smith or Ted Gilmore?). HS players will know of Chase Daniel and the MO offense. Plus, he recruits TX and OK (the places we used to recruit when we were successful).
Agreed, I think this is easily the best hire we could have made. Recruits nationwide sure know what kind of offensive numbers Mizzou has been putting up over the last several years and they sure know who Brad Smith and Chase Daniel are.

To be honest, I think we made a better hire than Tennessee did, and that is not even considering cost. Dollar for dollar, not even a contest.

I like the rumors that Gilmore might be interested in the OC job as well.
armchaircoach
Buckaroo

This looks like a really good hire.
Now who will come with him? If it is typical, expect at least two young coaches from Missouri. Maybe a holdover or two from Wyoming and then a mix of young and old from Coach Christensen’s contacts around the Big 12. I really think Marty English has the best chance at being retained, but then again he may have some other chances as well. Lance Robinson could also be retained in my estimation; he has done a good job with the D-Line. From the O-staff, maybe Jovon, the grad assistant to work with receivers.
Just my view—we will see.
Should also be interesting to see where the former staff coaches end up.
We will go to the Junior College ranks to find a quarterback.
WyoCow85
Buckaroo

As for the cords...

Offense. Dave Christensen will DEFINITELY be making this hire and it will definitely be someone specific. COUNT ON THAT! We hired DC for several reasons I imagine, but without a doubt one of the main ones was his incredibly unique offensive scheme. DC will likely be involved in our offense in a fashion similar to Mike Shanahan in Denver. Whoever is our OC will be an extension of DC. I can't wait to see the no huddle spread run here, although I imagine it will look a little weak next year with the roster we currently have.
Defense. No idea here, and I doubt its Breske for two reasons, although I would love to see him back. He is really a solid coach, and schemes very well. Our 4 wins this year can be directly tied to his scheme. That said, I doubt it is him for two reason. First, new coaches really don't like to make hires from the previous staff, for obvious reasons, and secondly and probably most importantly, Glenn and his staff have a pretty tight bond. Thats why they have been together so long, even though its looking like some of them, Breske in particular, may be more attractive as HC's than Glenn himself. If Glenn doesn't seem on track for another job immediately, and Breske doesn't get any HC offers, which I doubt he will, I could see him accepting an offer to stay, but I doubt DC offers. That all said, I would love to see him back.
Snowman_55
Ranch Hand

We had a chance to get a big name guy here and we squandered it away and hired another small time coach. We had a chance to REALLY bring some much needed recognition to our University and football program.

I also think Missouri has only been as good as they have been because the Big 12 north is so weak. The greatest thing that ever happened to Missouri was Nebraska & Colorado falling apart and Kansas st. no longer a power. It's not because Missouri finally stepped up and started competing.
I disagree...I think any one who knows college football sees Christensen as one of the top Assistant coaches in college football. Rivals named him best Assistant last season. Regardless of the weak Big 12 North, Missouri has had an offense that ranks near the top of the nation repeatedly. Honestely I think most people will wonder how Wyoming snagged him, because his name was popping up as a candidate on lots of vacancy lists.
Everyday I wake up and realize it's a great day because I am not a BYU or CSU fan! GO POKES!!!