Pokes beat Denver

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 50 times

I came away pretty impressed with the win over DU this weekend. I actually was able to watch the second half of the game on the mtn and thought that we were playing much better than I thought we were by watching gametracker for the first half. DU runs the perfect offense and defense for their talent level. They take away the advantage more athletic teams have and turn the game into a shooting contenst. They were hitting some very deep threes that almost no team could defend against. I thought our close-out defense was pretty good. We need to learn to anticipate where the next pass is going and be on our way there before the pass actually happens. Ogirri looked very conifident and wasn't afraid to take the open three when it was there. We need him to keep firing away and not lose confidence in himself. This game provided much more to the Pokes than just another win against a "poor" opponent. It is very easy to get discouraged against a team like DU when you play good defense for 30 seconds only to have them knock down a three from 5 feet behind the arc. A lot of teams would have let those 3-4 point leads DU had to balloon into 8-12 point leads, but UW never let it happen. This was great experience for the younger guys.