I am having a difficult time judging where the men's team...

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

Is at, at this point in the season. I mean, we have a barn-burner, one point game with Texas State (97-96), which in turn (Texas State) gets their asses handed to them by Northern Colorado 105 - 93. Then, we outplay Denver (which we haven't for years) but they were 0 & 3 coming in, with one of their losses going to the mighty Northern Colorado 71 - 66.

Is it maybe that the talent hasn't jelled? I think we do have some talent!!
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
bullpoke
Buckaroo

McPeachy wrote:Is at, at this point in the season. I mean, we have a barn-burner, one point game with Texas State (97-96), which in turn (Texas State) gets their asses handed to them by Northern Colorado 105 - 93. Then, we outplay Denver (which we haven't for years) but they were 0 & 3 coming in, with one of their losses going to the mighty Northern Colorado 71 - 66.

Is it maybe that the talent hasn't jelled? I think we do have some talent!!
Hey McPeachy.. I think there are lots of things to take into account.. Both TT and Den shot LIGHTS out vs our D.. If you were there or watched the Den game you would see that some of them were wide open shots.. but some of them were seriously 8 ft behind the 3 point line going in still.. I watched one play where the other team moved the ball VERY well and we rotated pretty good they swung it around and into the post where the back side zone guy (brandon) was there to still the pass.. But a few times (most vs Afam) if the guy Drove on afam.. we would have to "help" out and they would kick out to an open guy.. (hence out part)..
The "jelled" part.. not sure that will happen.. imo this is the KEY to us being very good or us losing some games that we could have won.. One play Brandon was dribbling at the key.. he yelled at Afam to come get the ball.. Afam said under his breath (he was realllly close to me).. call the ______ play.. I DIDNT LIKE to hear that... coach has his work cut out to make these guys run "his system" whatever that is.. and to have control over them... (see my post about him waving the guards over during a timeout and they just very slowly walked over to him) I would have said keep on slowly waking right to the end of the bench...there is NO way they could have been apart of that timeout.. HENCE why I am still down on this team..

But make no bones about it if you watch b ball you will see Most of these guys can play ball... and dang good.. hence why I could get excited but that same thing makes me pessimistic that no way these guys Hussle over to the coach.. etc...

Lets not sugar coat anything the teams we have played are not that good.. But as I said before like you there is some talented guys..
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 48 times

Comparing like opponents in college basketball isn't as helpful as you might think. You have to realize that Northern Colorado shot 65% from 3 point range and 60% overall in their win over Texas State. Hell, they would have hung with any team in the nation shooting like that. Look, we beat two teams back to back with the most oppsoite styles of play there could possibly be. That's not an easy thing to do even for a good basketball team, especially with a lot of young players. Of course, the North Carolina's of college basketball would have manhandled both teams no matter what, but we don't have those types of athletes and we probably never will. The MWC is a bit down this year as far as baketball goes. As much as I hate to say it, BYU looks like the team to beat again. The good thing is that BYU is definetely beatable and not out of our league. If we can get some big conference wins early we may gain some momentum and surprise a lot of people this year. I can't emphasize enough how much of a help I believe Thiam will be to this team. Oh, one last thing. We have the leading scorer (Muojeke), leading rebounder (Johnson), and the lading assist man (Ewing) in the MWC so far this season. We can't be that bad if we have three different guys leading those categories.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

Good points Bullpoke and RealUW...

I hope they can all get on the same page...if not, it could be a very "underachieving" type of year.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
one-smooth-poke
Ranch Hand

TheRealUW wrote:Comparing like opponents in college basketball isn't as helpful as you might think. You have to realize that Northern Colorado shot 65% from 3 point range and 60% overall in their win over Texas State. Hell, they would have hung with any team in the nation shooting like that. Look, we beat two teams back to back with the most oppsoite styles of play there could possibly be. That's not an easy thing to do even for a good basketball team, especially with a lot of young players. Of course, the North Carolina's of college basketball would have manhandled both teams no matter what, but we don't have those types of athletes and we probably never will. The MWC is a bit down this year as far as baketball goes. As much as I hate to say it, BYU looks like the team to beat again. The good thing is that BYU is definetely beatable and not out of our league. If we can get some big conference wins early we may gain some momentum and surprise a lot of people this year. I can't emphasize enough how much of a help I believe Thiam will be to this team. Oh, one last thing. We have the leading scorer (Muojeke), leading rebounder (Johnson), and the lading assist man (Ewing) in the MWC so far this season. We can't be that bad if we have three different guys leading those categories.

I think she was refering to University of Northern Colorado. NOT Univeristy of North Carolina