Mens Bball... My take after spending some time

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
bullpoke
Buckaroo

I went to the last 2 games and sat on the floor.. what I learned and watched probably doesnt suprise anyone but here it goes...

Talent WOW we have some talent on this team.
Ewing is a great player and will get his usual 18 points give or take and will control the team..
Ogi is starting to find his shot and will bust them up all yr.. games he is on we will probably pull away, games hes not will make em close but he will shoot 10+ shots a game. .most being from the 3. They call him smooth.. and I see why he kind of "glides" around out there. Seems "lazy a bit on D as it seems like he just figures he can glide around (hard to explain) but still ok on the D side.
Afam is a STUD on the O side of the ball, he has a lot to learn but has some skills was passing much better the past game where he could have shot it but dished for an even BETTER shot (tho maybe not a better one as some of his moves end up with huge old dunks! :) His D is his bigggg weakness.. But he gives us so much more than Derm IMO... But a little more Depth is always good..
Johnson is a tough work horse. He has some veryyy nice post moves and rebounds well. Great player and plays good D.. It will be good to see Thiam as johnson will get some fouls from match up issues on and off..

Linkson is good for mins each game that Adam is in foul trouble.. (as he will be a lot cuz he plays 150%) man adam gives it his all even with 4 fouls aint no slow down for him. I was wayyyyy suprised to see him play dude can finish around the rim forget the linkskin fringer rolls I like the 2 handed monster put back dunks of adam! Biggest surprise of the season is Adam and Afam.. Adam isnt one to thump his own chest just goes out does his thing gets boards etc.
Davis plays GREAT D and is a roll player with the O.. (which is ok as we have plenty of people who want to be the O guys)
We have missed a few FT's esp end of games.. but they all LOOK good.. good follow throughs etc.. Not worried at all about FT's.. will be a strength most of the yr.
Good coaching adjustments, going with the 1-3-1 looked veryyy good.. seemed to help our players out to.. cant wait to see more of that stuff.

A few down things I saw.. We call a TO and Ew and Ogi just walk slowly over towards the coach.. he motioned to them once to get over.. they walk slowly more.. he motions again (waving his arm) they slowly walk over.. GET YOUR FREEKING BUTS OVER there boys.. drop the attitued and freeking get over there..it was a 30 sec and by the time they got there it was over.. realllly bugggged me....
Also a few times right by me I could hear one player yelling to another come get the ball.. and the other player under his breath said call a _______ play then.. Didnt like to see that.. as he said that he was just a few feet away and I was the only one who could hear that...

BOYS there will be some up and downs this yr.. but man this is a fun team.. get out and support them.. its time to go check them out..
Best Talent on a WYO team in a LONGGGG time.. and imo the reason to get most excited is ADAM.. he may not score 15 points every game.. but HE GETS huge boards.. Blocks.. (oh my he had some of the ) put backs.. and most important plays 110% Isnt looking to be the Star.. but he will be one..

Oh and bobacar??SP??? is freeking huge... that is all.. I talked to him.. oh wait.. I talked to his belly button..
And I talked with Derm he will be back in aprox 4-6 more weeks...
Talked with Brandon and he was very polite.. all seemed like very nice kids.. all of them gave my kids High fives.. and made there days...
one-smooth-poke
Ranch Hand

It is not a secret that I am NOT a Schroyer fan. With that said, is anyone suprised that Wyoming if 5 and 0? With this superb OCC schedule? Really? We should be 5-0 and we should have dominated Denver. Come on, this is a team that hasnt won a road game in something like 36 tries. And DU hung in there with them. I certainly was not impressed with the inside position play. DU did not have anyone that could match up with the Pokes big men, yet they did very little. I hate to say it, but in the next couple of weeks, it is gonna get ugly for the pokes and it will not get any better. The defense absolutely sucked, and offensively, there are some glory boys who are gonna prove to be ball hogs.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

one-smooth-poke wrote:It is not a secret that I am NOT a Schroyer fan. With that said, is anyone suprised that Wyoming if 5 and 0? With this superb OCC schedule? Really? We should be 5-0 and we should have dominated Denver. Come on, this is a team that hasnt won a road game in something like 36 tries. And DU hung in there with them. I certainly was not impressed with the inside position play. DU did not have anyone that could match up with the Pokes big men, yet they did very little. I hate to say it, but in the next couple of weeks, it is gonna get ugly for the pokes and it will not get any better. The defense absolutely sucked, and offensively, there are some glory boys who are gonna prove to be ball hogs.
Only 2 current players had seen the Princeton offense. It isn't easy to play against and DU made some bail out shots. Overall however, our defense looked decent to me. Wyoming was never in trouble, even though DU played close most of the way.

If you look at DU's record, they play everyone close...no blowout losses.

Also, check out Cal State Bakersfield. They are now 3-2 with a big win over a struggling Pepperdine team. We beat them by about 30.

This team is young and will continue to get better.

Go Pokes!
bullpoke
Buckaroo

one-smooth-poke wrote:It is not a secret that I am NOT a Schroyer fan. With that said, is anyone suprised that Wyoming if 5 and 0? With this superb OCC schedule? Really? We should be 5-0 and we should have dominated Denver. Come on, this is a team that hasnt won a road game in something like 36 tries. And DU hung in there with them. I certainly was not impressed with the inside position play. DU did not have anyone that could match up with the Pokes big men, yet they did very little. I hate to say it, but in the next couple of weeks, it is gonna get ugly for the pokes and it will not get any better. The defense absolutely sucked, and offensively, there are some glory boys who are gonna prove to be ball hogs.
OSP.. I to am not a Sch Fan.. as I dont like a 4 out 1 in.. and I dont think he has control of his team members like other coaches do.. BUT with that being said.. You need to look at other things.. Im not saying we are going to win the Conf or NC.. but this team has some things I havnt seen in a LONG TIME.. Our Schedule Does SUCK no doubt about it.. But Denver was hitting 3's from 10 ft behind the 3 point line.. Id let any team shoot that as they will make 1 out of 10.. Our 1-3-1 rotation was actually pretty good, as Den moved the ball very well.. If you watched that game its like pulling teath.. I also didnt say we had the BEST Post guys, what I said is Adam is a fighter.. he boxed one guy out.. clear over to the cheer leaders.. when was the last time you saw that??? How about when was the last time you saw a Big guy from wyoming take a rebound and dunk it on someone...??? Can I be excited to see a FR from cody wyoming that DID that?? yup bet.. I agree about Offensively there are some glory boys who could be ball hogs... with that being said Afam has already come a ways.. He drove in from the 3 point line.. (base line) and had a pretty easy lay up.. but DISHED IT to (cant remember) but an easy dunk.. I think we play soft man up but I did think we played Hard with the 1-3-1 trap.. we moved hustled and showed that maybe we can work hard??? Dude I dont care if you like these guys or not.. enjoy.. they do have some stuff we havent seen in a LONG time..
I also think we will lose some prob on the road to Boise.. but you need to watch these boys...
PokeNer
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

I've been to four of the games so far, and I really think this team has huge upside. Afam has progressed a ton since the first game, and seems to be gelling well with Wadell. The first few games I went to, it was guaranteed that when Afam got the ball, he was going to shoot. Last game, he had some amazing assists, mostly to Wadell.

I hate to bag on anyone, but Linskens is horrible. His hands are horrible, he is afraid to rebound, and can't box out. He may be 7'0" but he gets out-jumped by players that are 6-5. Adam (he should be nicknamed Drago, as he looks like he was pulled right out of Rocky IV) needs to get the majority of the minutes, with Linskens filling in when Waddel is in foul trouble.

All the other players, have been impressing me though. Ogirri played lights out against Denver, and hit some well timed threes. Afam is insanely athletic. If Johnson gets back to his late-season form from last year, he will help the team out a bunch. I'm excited to see what Thiam can do, and I am excited to see how far we can progress this year. I really think we will be pretty competitive in the MWC, and could see us in 3rd or 4th at season's end.
bullpoke
Buckaroo

Your sooo right about Linskins...only reason he should be on the floor is when Wad gets into foul trouble.. I think this is why they are starting Linsk well 2 reasons.. Cuz Wad brings in sooo much excitment..etc.. and 2nd to help manage fouls.. tho I dont agree with it.. im ok with it kind of.. i say let him play and IF he gets a foul THEN bring in Linsk.. cuz what if he doesnt?? then you just PLAYED a worse player when your better one could have been in playing..

Afam passed MUCH better this last game.. I hope that continues..And one more thing as far as the MWC.. is anyone looking unbeatable?? BYU has played a schedule as bad as ours and was down most of the 1st game good team but beatable.. one by 10 at home to another team..AF will be back to the bottom.. NM doesnt look that good.. UNLV has lost to 2 good teams.. but they will be in the hunt.. SD lost to the only good team they have played. TCU sucks.. CSU will ALWAYS suck :) Utah lost to Southern Bapt??? D2 school.. We got a LONGGGGGGG ways to go but as of right now Id say we got just as good of a shot as ANYONE in this conf this yr..
PokeNer
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time

Over on the MWC board they were talking about how good CSU looks, and that they might contend for a championship in a few years. Are they watching the same CSU team that lost to Saint Martins, a DII school?? :lol:

I think we will start to see who the Pokes are through the next few games, along with a lot of the other teams in the MWC. Boise State will be a good test, as will Northern Iowa. I honestly think that we could be 10-0 going in to the UCLA game, if we play up to our potential.

I think BYU and UNLV will come out on top, but it's possible the Pokes could fight it out with SDSU, and Utah for 3rd - 5th and maybe an NIT berth.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times

I still think it's a little early to predict, but the next 3 weeks should show what level of team we have this year. I think our defense is getting better every game - although playing a Scott coached team (DU) makes it hard to tell. I got tickets for the Shootout in Casper so I could see Thiam and what impact he will have and we should have Dermody back by the middle of January. Winning on the road is key to the outcome of this season.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
wyo 1
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 4 times

we won road games at csu at utah at lamar i think, all last year.
one-smooth-poke
Ranch Hand

wyo 1 wrote:

we won road games at csu at utah at lamar i think, all last year.

Wyo1: DU hasnt won a road game in that long.
wyo 1
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 4 times

sorry OSP, i thought you was talking about the POKES. my bad.
one-smooth-poke
Ranch Hand

Schoyer is already starting the rethoric that Glenn used. Throw the players under the bus. I am telling you guys, these road games are gonna be tough. For those who were all up over the 5-0 start....we were playing DII teams and a DU team that couldnt buy a road win. It is gonna be a long season. Enjoy Schoyer...
one-smooth-poke
Ranch Hand

bullpoke wrote:I went to the last 2 games and sat on the floor.. what I learned and watched probably doesnt suprise anyone but here it goes...

Talent WOW we have some talent on this team.
Ewing is a great player and will get his usual 18 points give or take and will control the team..
Ogi is starting to find his shot and will bust them up all yr.. games he is on we will probably pull away, games hes not will make em close but he will shoot 10+ shots a game. .most being from the 3. They call him smooth.. and I see why he kind of "glides" around out there. Seems "lazy a bit on D as it seems like he just figures he can glide around (hard to explain) but still ok on the D side.
Afam is a STUD on the O side of the ball, he has a lot to learn but has some skills was passing much better the past game where he could have shot it but dished for an even BETTER shot (tho maybe not a better one as some of his moves end up with huge old dunks! :) His D is his bigggg weakness.. But he gives us so much more than Derm IMO... But a little more Depth is always good..
Johnson is a tough work horse. He has some veryyy nice post moves and rebounds well. Great player and plays good D.. It will be good to see Thiam as johnson will get some fouls from match up issues on and off..

Linkson is good for mins each game that Adam is in foul trouble.. (as he will be a lot cuz he plays 150%) man adam gives it his all even with 4 fouls aint no slow down for him. I was wayyyyy suprised to see him play dude can finish around the rim forget the linkskin fringer rolls I like the 2 handed monster put back dunks of adam! Biggest surprise of the season is Adam and Afam.. Adam isnt one to thump his own chest just goes out does his thing gets boards etc.
Davis plays GREAT D and is a roll player with the O.. (which is ok as we have plenty of people who want to be the O guys)
We have missed a few FT's esp end of games.. but they all LOOK good.. good follow throughs etc.. Not worried at all about FT's.. will be a strength most of the yr.
Good coaching adjustments, going with the 1-3-1 looked veryyy good.. seemed to help our players out to.. cant wait to see more of that stuff.

A few down things I saw.. We call a TO and Ew and Ogi just walk slowly over towards the coach.. he motioned to them once to get over.. they walk slowly more.. he motions again (waving his arm) they slowly walk over.. GET YOUR FREEKING BUTS OVER there boys.. drop the attitued and freeking get over there..it was a 30 sec and by the time they got there it was over.. realllly bugggged me....
Also a few times right by me I could hear one player yelling to another come get the ball.. and the other player under his breath said call a _______ play then.. Didnt like to see that.. as he said that he was just a few feet away and I was the only one who could hear that...

BOYS there will be some up and downs this yr.. but man this is a fun team.. get out and support them.. its time to go check them out..
Best Talent on a WYO team in a LONGGGG time.. and imo the reason to get most excited is ADAM.. he may not score 15 points every game.. but HE GETS huge boards.. Blocks.. (oh my he had some of the ) put backs.. and most important plays 110% Isnt looking to be the Star.. but he will be one..

Oh and bobacar??SP??? is freeking huge... that is all.. I talked to him.. oh wait.. I talked to his belly button..
And I talked with Derm he will be back in aprox 4-6 more weeks...
Talked with Brandon and he was very polite.. all seemed like very nice kids.. all of them gave my kids High fives.. and made there days...
I USE THIS THREAD AS A REMINDER OF WHO ALL IS ON THE SCHROYER BUS TO LOSER-VILLE. SCHROYER SUCKS AS A COACH AND SHOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN HIRED. TOM BURMAN HIRED A "BUDDY" WHO HAD A LOSING RECORD. WHY IS ANYONE SUPRISED THAT THE POKES BBALL TEAM IS TERRIBLE? THIS YEAR, WE WILL BARELY ACHIEVE A .500 RECORD.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times

We still have a week before our next game - time to really tell everyone how you feel. Give em hell boys.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Laps. That is the answer to all the problems. Run laps on the track. Five miles a day, THEN practice when the boys are tired. Then practice free throws when they are really tired. By the end of the season there will be no physical reason they can't keep up with anyone. Then talent and coaching will account for any losses.
(make sure Shroyer also runs the laps to lose some lard)