Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
WyNative
Ranch Hand

NM
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

This is just flat out ugly - in every aspect.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 50 times

Not a good showing by the Pokes today, but frankly, it's exactly what I expected. I know it might be hard to believe right now, but we WILL beat BYU in Laramie. I think it's pretty evident that we are a middle of the pack MWC team at best. I really thought the talent was here this year to make a bit more noise in conference play, but I was flat out wrong with that assessment. I do think the guys Schroyer signed in this recruiting class are all very good players and will have this team towards to the top of the conference in another year or two. Anyone know what's going on with Quinton Thomas? He verballed too us a long time ago but still hasn't signed a letter yet. His services would be of great help to the Pokes.
WyNative
Ranch Hand

BULL poop
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Well, I was wrong again. Not only did we not compete, but the 2 players that I thought would come up big played awful, Ewing and Ogirri. I'm a Brandon Ewing fan. But he has been downright pitiful in all of our road conference games this year. Tyson Johnson made chip shots look like 1/2 court shots in degree of dificulty.
Our defense was consistent tonight. We didn't defend inside or outside.

I have to agree with the prior post. We are a 6th or 7 th place team in the conference. We win close games at home and get blown out on the road. I see a 6-10 or 7-9 finish this year.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Even outside obsevers agree that we looked disinterested and lazy. This game and UCLA have been pathetic. IMO, getting your ass kicked should make you play harder, but it doesnt seem so with this team. I think we are a team that can beat anyone at home and have the talent to be a top team, but we will finish 6 or 7.
PL_Julian
Buckaroo

Well, I was wrong again. Not only did we not compete, but the 2 players that I thought would come up big played awful, Ewing and Ogirri. I'm a Brandon Ewing fan. But he has been downright pitiful in all of our road conference games this year. Tyson Johnson made chip shots look like 1/2 court shots in degree of dificulty.
Our defense was consistent tonight. We didn't defend inside or outside.

I have to agree with the prior post. We are a 6th or 7 th place team in the conference. We win close games at home and get blown out on the road. I see a 6-10 or 7-9 finish this year.bladerunnr
WyoNation Buckaroo

Not sure what game you were watching but let me point out some things for you.

The team had 11 assists,Ewing had 8 of those.Your boy Schroyer has made each and every play called go to Afem and Ogirri with no set designed to get Ewing an open shot. BTW Ogirri and Afem each had 5 turnovers.Ogirri who was toasted by Ferdette but the staff thinks he is such a good defender.

Schroyer has done what no other MWC team has been able to do and that is handcuff Ewing. Ewing is leading the conference in scoring and assists not because of Schroyer but in spite of him. Ewing should have been having a 1st team MWC year but will probably get overlooked again this season

Well lts take a look at how well we are taking care of the ball and sharing...We can see the improved offense and who is looking to play team ball...remeber Brad Jones had 100 assists each season he played and also was a leading rebounder.

Waddell 7 assists 29 turnovers
Ogirri 54 assists 42 turnovers
Johnson 43 assists 43 turnovers
Muojeke 32 assists 73 turnovers
Ewing 113 assists 53 turnovers
Thiam 19 assists 18 turnovers
Liskens 6 assists 12 turnovers
Davis 15 assists 15 turnovers
Diakite 0 assists 9 turnovers
Danmully
Ranch Hand

i think brad jones was one of the most underratted players to ever wear the brown and gold. imo his soph and junior years he was the best player on the team. Didn't seem to fit in with shroyers plan for the team last year and it quite possibly could of cost us a conference championship, atleast we would have been more competive with him in a more active role. How many years untilwe start competing for a championship?
PL_Julian
Buckaroo

Danmully wrote:i think brad jones was one of the most underratted players to ever wear the brown and gold. imo his soph and junior years he was the best player on the team. Didn't seem to fit in with shroyers plan for the team last year and it quite possibly could of cost us a conference championship, atleast we would have been more competive with him in a more active role. How many years untilwe start competing for a championship?
I agree.this team is soft. brad was one of the toughest players I have seen...I think this team has more talent than last years team but they are soft and have no cajones..In fact if this years team had the toughness of last years team we would probably be undefeated.....But Schroyer doesn't want that.he is a control freak who wants all the credit and micromanages the play on the floor.Don't forget we are up against Utah State and he is so buzy talking to Ogirri that he gets a 10 second call. He is also the same coach that sat brad when we could have beaten UNm last season for a tech but he himself got one 2 games later....No fight,no pride,no tougness.He coaches this like a CYO team.
Danmully
Ranch Hand

on another note how awesome would it be if linskins would get it together and next year we could have 2 seven footers(Boubacar Sylla) playin well. Next years starters 1-luster/Davis, 2-Afam,3-Dermody, 4-Thiam, and 5-Sylla?/Waddel. Pretty intriguing group. By no means has shroyer won me over, but i have some hope for the future.
PApokesPhan
Ranch Hand

he definitely hasnt won anyone over yet, but that lineup could be dangerous if Sylla shows ability and Linskens brings his game next year.

There will also be Arthur Beoudo (sp?) for the guard spot and Diakite at forward.

Also the recruits look pretty decent. Amath M'Baye looks like a very skilled athlete, Dietz could become a contributor, Manzano seems like hed help the guard spot and it will be great if Quentin Thomas signs on
Danmully
Ranch Hand

I think he has won over a lot of people who hated mcclain. Mcclain should probably been fired but people need to respect what he did for the pokes. He had two conference championships and i might be wrong but the last time we won the conference in anything was in the 80's. Maybe we were co-Champs with tiller In 96?
sharpshooter
Buckaroo

In regards to Ogirri and Fredette getting open....
Our bigs do a horrible job of allowing our guards to fight through screens and hedging...
If your not going to help and you get stuck with a shooter, then you better be able to guard them....