Down Goes UNLV

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
sharpshooter
Buckaroo

Okay Ogirri and Ewing scored 39 combined.....
Still upset with the turnovers....
But offensive fouls and walks in the paint.....
Nevill isn't in the paint and we should dominate down low.
The switching and the tough man D was great.
I wish we could have broken the 3point record of UNLV.....

The guards need to get shots.....
The bigs have to play tough.....
Switching and playing guards shows determination....

Good Job Pokes....
TCU...PAY BACK.....
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Except for the turnovers, it's almost as if Shroyer and the team have been reading this forum and paying attention. We haven't been on them enough about the turnovers, though.
nirv117
Ranch Hand

24 turnovers and we still win is amazing. We actually rebounded this game (our size helped) and that made a big difference because UNLV couldn't hit anything.

Our switching defense did work out ok today. We still have a few players who need to lear to switch fster, or go in front of the screen.
God is a Cowboy
PokeNer
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

I am pleased with the win, but we can't play like that and expect to win out.

UNLV shot 19% from 3 point land, and we shot 44%. If UNLV knocks down the threes at their season average (36%), then we lose this game. UNLV had plenty of wide open looks from 3 point land, that didn't fall.

We need to cut down on the turnovers. We can't expect to have BYU come in here, turn the ball over 24 times, give up 20+ 3 point looks (including 2 or 3 fouls while shooting the three :evil: ) and win. They are one of the top three point shooting teams in the country, and likely won't have an off night like UNLV did.

We need to learn to put teams away. We were cruising at one point, had a 17 point lead, got lackadaisical on defense, gave up a big three, turned the ball over and let UNLV right back in it.
I won't be surprised if every team from here on out does a full court trap when we have the ball. How many of those turnovers were due to the trap? Several of them occurred when there was a wide open guy standing there waiting for the ball. Shroyer needs to get some tips from Legerski on how to beat the press.

However, I really believe that if we play up to our potential we can win out.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

I thought Schroyer had it pegged in his post game interview. Spacing was poor and passing was not crisp. I don't know how many times Ogirri throws a lazy pass that gets picked off. Rebounding was very good. I thought intensity was very good throughout. Also, if we had a big guy who could really finish at the hoop, we would get pressed less. Johnson drives and picks up offensive fouls. No one is afraid of our bigs down low. Anyways, a very good win and Ewing was the old Ewing, first time all conference performance. He was the best player on the floor last night.