Martinez case completed

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
nirv117
Ranch Hand

According to the boomerang
http://www.laramieboomerang.com/article ... 926600.txt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He started serving 45 days in jail yesterday. The felony charge was dropped - and a plea bargain was reached.
God is a Cowboy
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 106 times

He got lucky. This could have been way worse for Luke. The defendant in the case did him a big favor.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

Judging by his Twitter posts I'd say he's a bit unwilling to take responsibility for what he's done.
ImageImageImageImage
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

I think this is the outcome that we all expected. A felony for a bar fight would have been extreme. Although we can all agree that the details are completely ridiculous and anyone kicking an unconscious person deserves their punishment.

I also doubt Luke's attorney (Mr. Fleener) advised him on the content of his Twitter posts. Luke's posts are not apologetic and seem to lack responsibility. Knowking that the Twitter posts will be cited in the Casper Tribune article, Luke really dropped the ball. I don't think Judge Donnell would be very appreciative of the Twitter posts either. Good thing the Order was signed before they came out.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

I'm glad for Luke.
A felony and years in prison for a bar fight would have been insane.
A good kid made a bad mistake.
Plus the other kid was a punk from everything I have heard.
Anyways, that is my 2 cents.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

the 45 days in the clink, is probably what the doctor ordered, i agree he got lucky!!!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 147 times

Not to mention an end to a basketball career
W-Y, Until I Die!
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

i'm just glad that this particular howdy doody moment is over.....and may even help serve as an example for some of these students in the future
disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

whyoh wrote:i'm just glad that this particular howdy doody moment is over.....and may even help serve as an example for some of these students in the future
Agree. Between this, the Shakir thefts, the laptop incident, the volleyball coach situation (hire & fire), the soccer coach dismissal (Moore), Heathbar & Bucky, the botching of the CJC hire, howdy-doody gate, and the handling of many other issues internally, it would appear that we have what some may consider a "lack of institutional control" from the top down in the athletic department.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
WyoAlum1987
Ranch Hand

Well said +1
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

i truly wonder if one learns anything from this, or just does the time and moves forward??? did he graduate from UW
SLCPoke
Cowpoke

BeaverPoke wrote:I'm glad for Luke.

I actually know the kid he "kicked in the face" (quotations, because I wasn't there) and he is actually a pretty cool kid. I'm sure it was a case of trash talking and tempers flared and it got out of hand, I hardly would say either of them are punks or any other name we can think of. I like to believe they were both good guys, who made stupid decisions. I'd say 45 days in jail an no felony is fair for the crime if he did it (which if he went with a plea deal he either did it, or knew he couldn't prove he didn't).
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

SLCPoke wrote:

I actually know the kid he "kicked in the face" (quotations, because I wasn't there) and he is actually a pretty cool kid. I'm sure it was a case of trash talking and tempers flared and it got out of hand, I hardly would say either of them are punks or any other name we can think of. I like to believe they were both good guys, who made stupid decisions. I'd say 45 days in jail an no felony is fair for the crime if he did it (which if he went with a plea deal he either did it, or knew he couldn't prove he didn't).
Read today that yes, the criminal case is closed / settled, but the civil is still pending. Appears that Pagsalgdquselzcn (spelling) is going after more moo-lah than just the 58K settled on the criminal side.

Not sure how I feel about that.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

SLCPoke wrote:

agreed, but my problem still is, during his "season", and I understand it was the holidays, but still...what the hell was he doing at the bar during his training season, at this time of night, was always told that nothing good happens after midnight, but regardless, the anger of the moment doesn't justify it. His judgment was and always will be poor, imagine if he coulda played more, taken more pressure off of Leonard, how could that season last year been going 12-0 with him....what if...what if....
spindoctor02
WyoNation Moderator

Probably not a big surprise, but it looks like Martinez is going to pursue a professional career overseas.

http://www.kgwn.tv/story/23148812/lawye ... -jail-term
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

OrediggerPoke wrote:I think this is the outcome that we all expected. A felony for a bar fight would have been extreme. Although we can all agree that the details are completely ridiculous and anyone kicking an unconscious person deserves their punishment.

I also doubt Luke's attorney (Mr. Fleener) advised him on the content of his Twitter posts. Luke's posts are not apologetic and seem to lack responsibility. Knowking that the Twitter posts will be cited in the Casper Tribune article, Luke really dropped the ball. I don't think Judge Donnell would be very appreciative of the Twitter posts either. Good thing the Order was signed before they came out.
This basically, He didn't get lucky he got someone smart to represent him and a bar fight rarely stays as a felony unless weapons are used. On top of that I would be willing to bet money the other guy couldn't afford all the attorney fees and everything else involved.
gbpoke
Cowpoke

McPeachy wrote:
whyoh wrote:i'm just glad that this particular howdy doody moment is over.....and may even help serve as an example for some of these students in the future
Agree. Between this, the Shakir thefts, the laptop incident, the volleyball coach situation (hire & fire), the soccer coach dismissal (Moore), Heathbar & Bucky, the botching of the CJC hire, howdy-doody gate, and the handling of many other issues internally, it would appear that we have what some may consider a "lack of institutional control" from the top down in the athletic department.
To be honest, I think that many schools have "issues" such as these, and it could be much worse too. At least the NCAA isn't investigating the university for any infractions like some schools.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

gbpoke wrote: To be honest, I think that many schools have "issues" such as these, and it could be much worse too. At least the NCAA isn't investigating the university for any infractions like some schools.
You must not follow volleyball.
gbpoke
Cowpoke

OrediggerPoke wrote:
gbpoke wrote: To be honest, I think that many schools have "issues" such as these, and it could be much worse too. At least the NCAA isn't investigating the university for any infractions like some schools.
Not much, what's going on with volleyball?
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

gbpoke wrote:
OrediggerPoke wrote:
Not much, what's going on with volleyball?
V-ball got hit by the NCAA for infractions by our HC which is why she quit.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!