Coaches hot seat

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
mrtnt3x
A Real Cowboy

http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2013/AUG13/DBAug14.html

Not sure I agree w/ DC at 2 and Hauck at no. 6. I would flip them, what the hell has Hauck done besides being whipped every year. I don't see him making it through the season this year. I think DC is here through Smitty's senior year no matter what, but I think he rights the ship this year and builds on it. I agree with peach saying he will be here through '16. IF we can get half a defense worth a poop this will be fun. Big if.
Powder River ... Let 'R Buck!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Yeah, 2 is too high.

A better question would be, what do you think would get CDC fired this year? Be realistic, Burman isn't firing a coach who gets to a bowl game. 3-9? 4-8 again? Would 5-7 buy him a "get your poop together" year similar to Glenn in 2008?
mrtnt3x
A Real Cowboy

Beaverpokes worst case scenario earlier topic
Powder River ... Let 'R Buck!
wyocowboy2014
A Real Cowboy

I think DC has a lot riding on this season. He wants out of Laramie and wants a hc job at a bigger school. Unfortunately, he doesn't have much of a resume to get him there. I think if he has another 4-8 season he will be fired and back being an offensive coordinator somewhere. I also think if he some how pulls off a great season like 10-2, he is gone as well.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

I think he won't leave, but a 4-8 will truly become on the hot seat, he's not shopping on leaving yet
wyocowboy2014
A Real Cowboy

stymeman wrote:I think he won't leave, but a 4-8 will truly become on the hot seat, he's not shopping on leaving yet
If he gets a better offer, he is gone. He doesn't like Laramie at all. Burman did elude to the side affects of him having a bad season in the Dino nuggets interview.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

wyocowboy2014 wrote:I think DC has a lot riding on this season. He wants out of Laramie and wants a hc job at a bigger school. Unfortunately, he doesn't have much of a resume to get him there. I think if he has another 4-8 season he will be fired and back being an offensive coordinator somewhere. I also think if he some how pulls off a great season like 10-2, he is gone as well.
I really don't think DC wants out as badly as you think he does.
I think he is here through Smiths senior season at least. Then possibly another 1 or 2 seasons (til Thompson is gone).

I don't want to sound foolish in thinking DC wants to be here for ever, but I think he knows that having 3 winning teams in 5 seasons @ Wyo in the MWC won't get him the job he wants, but possibly having 6 winning season in 8 years (If Smith and Thompson are the starters for 2 years a piece from 2013-2016) would get him a lot better job, especially if 1 or 2 of those QBs go to the NFL.

But then again, it's almost impossible to predict when coaches will be fired and new jobs will be open.
I think DC, if he is successful here in the next 4 years @ Wyo, going to bowl games each year, would be a good fit in the Pac12. Especially if that school has the money to pay for an elite level defensive coordinator.
But before any of that happens, he has work to do where he is right now. He needs a breakout season badly this year.
He has talked about how he has built this program to what it is now. Every player, and coach in his program has came since he has been here. No Glenn hold overs anymore.
It's time to put up or shut up. Even if the defense isn't that good, he should still have the ability to win a lot of games with his offense, and futures schools are going to look and see if he was able to win in the MWC or not.
Time for some big wins coach.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

CDC went 4-8 last season. Stone cold reality. "Leaving" for a better position should be the last thing on his mind. Unless he wants to coach at some super-small BCS school like Iowa St. or Illinois, he'll have to do much better than his current resume. The fact that he appears on lists like the one in the original post should make sure he has no chance of leaving via taking a better job.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

J-Rod wrote:CDC went 4-8 last season. Stone cold reality. "Leaving" for a better position should be the last thing on his mind. Unless he wants to coach at some super-small BCS school like Iowa St. or Illinois, he'll have to do much better than his current resume. The fact that he appears on lists like the one in the original post should make sure he has no chance of leaving via taking a better job.
100% agree.
Even if Wyo does win 10 games this season, BCS schools are going to look at his resume and say "well this is his only 'good' year". Like you said, J-Rod, Illinois or Iowa State level jobs would be available. And I really doubt there will be any Pac12 jobs available this season, unless Washington goes 0-12.
Why would he want to start all over at a lower level BCS school that would be just as hard to get the recruits he needs to compete in that conference (Illinois-Big10, Iowa St.-Big12) as it is to get recruits to Wyo to compete in the MWC?
He would be another 5 years away from having that break-out season like we are expecting now.
Earliest he leaves on his own will is after Smith is done, and that is if the Pokes win 20 games over the next two seasons. He then will probably wait for Thompson to graduate (hopefully it is 2 seasons starting not just 1).
Of course, I feel like if Washington or Mizzou ever called, even tomorrow morning he would take those jobs.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Even Washington wouldn't take him. If the position comes open, its because Sark got fired. You can bet Washington and their unlimited resources will be after high profile candidates. I've heard they're secretly eyeing Bobby Petrino.
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Number two does seem a little high. Not that I don't think he is a poop Head Coach (not position coach), but simply as there are other's that are also poop.

With this roster and this schedule, combined with him calling the plays, if we don't win at least 6 he needs to go. Otherwise what are we saying? That it's okay to be bad to mediocre. We can't blame the defense every year. The first year or two, fine. The idea behind a Head Coach is the guy that oversees every aspect of the team. He is just as responsible, or more so, than the Defensive Coordinator, as to how the D plays year in and year out.

Having said that, I think we win 8, and go into the last year of Brett (if he stays) with DC at the helm.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

I wonder, what kind of job DC could get if he were to stay 4 more years,(2 under Smith, 2 under Thompson) and have winning seasons in each one, and win 2 MWC titles, with some consistency in the Top 25, along with Smith and Thompson going to the NFL. I am not saying that is going to happen, just simply wondering what kind of job he would get.
With 6 winning seasons in 8 years, a couple NFL QBs and Top 25 rankings, with quite a few bowls, would that get him a high profile job like Texas if Mack Brown were to get fired then? Or would he need to win a BCS Bowl like Urban Meyer did to get to Florida?
YankPoke
Cowpoke

I don't think that DC needs a set win mark this year. I think that he just needs to show that this program really has progressed since he has been here. I do believe we will win some games this year and that DC has been here for a couple more years.
ProudWYOAlum
Ranch Hand

wyocowboy2014 wrote:I think DC has a lot riding on this season. He wants out of Laramie and wants a hc job at a bigger school. Unfortunately, he doesn't have much of a resume to get him there. I think if he has another 4-8 season he will be fired and back being an offensive coordinator somewhere. I also think if he some how pulls off a great season like 10-2, he is gone as well.
Where does this knowledge come from? DC has never given any hint he's anxious to get out of Laramie.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

ProudWYOAlum wrote:
Where does this knowledge come from? DC has never given any hint he's anxious to get out of Laramie.
Maybe it was when DC signed that contract extension that gave it away that he wants to leave ;) lol
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

ProudWYOAlum wrote:
my thoughts exactly....from everything I've heard he and his wife kinda like Laramie, and once the spouse likes it that's 1/2 the battle. Unless he wins a couple of MWC titles he's not going anywhere anytime soon, and we really don't wish him too anyway, otherwise it's rebuilding 101 yet again.
wyocowboy2014
A Real Cowboy

BeaverPoke wrote:
ProudWYOAlum wrote:
Maybe it was when DC signed that contract extension that gave it away that he wants to leave ;) lol
Did he have another option?
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

there was talk that Houston was chasing him
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

wyocowboy2014 wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
ProudWYOAlum wrote:
Did he have another option?
Yeah, he met with Houston right before the 2nd NM Bowl, then signed a Wyo extension. He could have quit trying to be an HC and went back to being an OC.
wyocowboy2014
A Real Cowboy

The Houston thing was a bluff on his part as an attempt to get more money. Houston was not interested in him.