UW Market Research Study

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

I'm not sure if a link to this paper has been posted before.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/wyo ... -Final.pdf

It is a survey of football fans that UW conducted in 2007.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

Some good info in there, and a lot of true info in there. The season ticket pricing section was funny.. I wish I could pay what UW fans do for my season tickets. For six games this year I forked over $196 per ticket. The tailgating, I'm totally on board with. 90 mins isn't that long to tailgate. Hell, they start at 9 or 10 here for a 1pm kickoff, plus you can tailgate during halftime. The unpaved parking lot would definitely be a turnoff for good tailgating, who wants to wade through the mud and ice and slush for late season games when tailgating. I think it adds a HUGE element to the game-day experience. I think many parts of the study are dead-on.
ImageImageImageImage
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Yes, they pretty well spelled out the the areas that need to be improved. For me, the top 3 items that need improvement are:
1. Preferably - put in seats like in the AA or at least widen each seat area. Even when you don't have to wear heavy clothes it is too tight even for the average size person. When you get two large people wearing heavy clothes, it is impossible.
2. The concession areas and restrooms on the lower level west side desperately need improvement.
3. The parking lot/tailgate areas need to be paved - the outlying lots need to be improved.

The improvements are coming, but they are slow getting done - I think mainly because they (the state and the university) let them go for sooo long with no improvements or upgrades and we got way behind what was normal for everyone else. It gives visiting teams and fans a bad impression of Laramie, UW, and Wyoming and it sure isn't helping get our own fans to the game day experience. All these improvements are great and badly needed, but the biggest thing that will attract the fans and add to the game day experience is a winning team.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
HiCountryCowboy
Ranch Hand

[quote="but the biggest thing that will attract the fans and add to the game day experience is a winning team.[/quote]

Yes - and they need to sell beer at the game! I made reference to this multiple times when I took the survey originally and either there were not many others making the same request or they just wont consider it. Like it or not, in many peoples case, beer adds to the gameday experience from a fans perspective and I don't need the athletic department looking out for me. Think of the financial gains form beer concessions...
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

Even if they don't allow beer in the stadium, if they let people tailgate properly, that would help.. but the beer sales in the stadium would drive revenue.
ImageImageImageImage
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

I don't think it would hurt for the city and local businesses to step it up a bit and bring in some events pre/post game, especially early on in the season, to give fans more reason to come down to Laramie and stay the night and enjoy their time with family and friends at the game and pre-post game activities. If they provided anything remotely resembling jubilee days, they certainly would give people more incentive to travel instead of following the game on TV or Radio. Maybe they could shutdown a block or two of downtown and have a live band or two and some bbq's?

Of course, anytime they can recruit more talent, the better. I'm anxious to see how our that pays off this year. The last two years the offense looked like they could put it all together and keep the ball moving. At times they did but it wasn't consistent. I have bigger hopes this year!

Tailgating is important too and I'd think it wouldn't take too much to extend the hours and allow it during half time. I don't know what resources they have to provide outside of event coordinators and security, but I'm guessing it wouldn't cost them too much more to keep them around for a few more hours.

It looks like they are on the right track and I hope they keep working to improve the facilities and overall experience.

Go Pokes!