Devin Moore

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Seahawks' RB Devin Moore tries to quiet critics who question his size

By Danny O'Neil
Seattle Times staff reporter

TED S. WARREN / AP
Undrafted rookie running back Devin Moore of Wyoming is a longshot to make the Seahawks' 53-man roster, but he has been prematurely counted out before.

RENTON — One small question has always dogged running back Devin Moore.

A little nagging doubt: his size.

People didn't think he was big enough to play tailback when he first enrolled in high school. Ditto when he left for college at Wyoming, and now, as he's trying to measure up to NFL specs, his size is again being scrutinized.

He is 5 feet 9, weighs 191 pounds, which leaves him running uphill and against the odds, an undrafted rookie chasing after a spot on Seattle's 53-man regular-season roster.

"One thing I don't do is count numbers," Moore said.

Not on the depth chart, not on the roster. Moore is attempting to beat the odds and make the Seahawks' 53-man roster for the regular season.

Starters like Matt Hasselbeck and Julius Jones use August to prepare for the regular season. For a player like Moore, this is a chance that can make a career, and just about every year one undrafted free agent plays his way into a job.

Linebacker David Hawthorne did it a year ago, safety C.J. Wallace did it in 2007 and fullback Leonard Weaver beat out fifth-round draft pick Tony Jackson to become a Seahawk in 2005.

For Moore to play his way onto that list, he's going to have to outrun questions that he's too small to play tailback. It's OK. He's heard that as far back as when he was a freshman in high school back in Indianapolis.

"The coach didn't think I was big enough or strong enough to take on the physical play at running back," Moore said.

Injuries to the quarterback and the running back got Moore into the backfield.

"I took it the house," Moore said.

No more questions about his size until it came time for college, and Wyoming was the only Division I college offering him a scholarship to play tailback. He ended up setting the school career rushing record with 2,963 yards, but wasn't invited to the NFL scouting combine in February in his hometown of Indianapolis. He staged a private workout for teams that week, but still went undrafted despite being fast enough to run 40 yards in 4.3 seconds.

He signed with the Seahawks as an undrafted free agent, and now he's in a race to prove he's worth keeping three running backs on the active roster behind Julius Jones, T.J. Duckett and second-year back Justin Forsett, who's developing faster than Seattle anticipated.

Seattle usually keeps three running backs on its 53-man roster, but coach Jim Mora began training camp by telling his players not to count the players in front of them on the depth chart.

"Don't count numbers," Mora said. "Don't worry about where you are on the depth chart. Just take advantage of every opportunity that you're given."

Is Moore quick enough to play in the NFL?

"Quick enough, are you kidding me?" running backs coach Kasey Dunn asked. "Yeah, he can run."

Now, he must stand up to defenders in pass-rush drills, serving as more than just a speed bump for blitzers. During Monday's practice he showed marked improvement in one-on-one matchups against safeties and linebackers.

"He's getting better and better in protections," Dunn said, "and I've been excited with how he's kind of grasped the NFL game. We still have some work to do, there's no question about that, but he's certainly getting better and I think he's got a chance."

That's all Moore has ever needed, a chance.

Copyright © The Seattle Times Company
More Seahawks headlines...
E-mail article Print view Share

Comments (3) Hide comments / Show comments
The kid's attitude alone should earn him a roster spot. He's talented and works harder than anyone on the field. Put him on the practice... Posted on August 11, 2009 at 7:48 AM by Seattle Native. Jump to comment
I hope coach Mora finds a place for this guy.He shattered the rushing record at his division 1 school. He is ultra quick and he has serious desire.... Posted on August 11, 2009 at 12:28 AM by Its only sports!. Jump to comment
lots of physcially small players have made it big...cant measure a mans heart, look at mjd, bryant westbrook, santana moss, dexter jackson...the... Posted on August 11, 2009 at 8:43 AM by thebaldguy. J

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

Good article. There's no reason why he couldn't be an NFL tailback.
ImageImageImageImage
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

Surprised they didn't mention he out benched almost all the combine running backs and some of the linemen drafted in early rounds. He's fast, strong, has a great attitude, and his height can actually help make him harder to find behind the line, the only thing they must think he's missing is weight - If they give him time and he will impress.

I was hoping he would at least get to be a returner this year and make the active roster - still hoping he does. From what I've read here and there, most Seattle fans sound like they prefer him over some of the guys on last years roster.
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Criticizing his height? He's not a QB. 3 of the top RBs in the NFL (Michael Turner, DeAngelo Williams, LaDainian Tomlinson) are all very short.
siliconvalleycowboy
Buckaroo

Michael Turner goes about 250lbs though. Even LT and DeAngelo have 20-30lbs on him. Leon Washington or Darren Sproles may be more comparable and even slightly smaller than DMo. There's certainly a place for him in the league though.
What do you mean funny? Funny how? Like I'm a clown? I amuse you?
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/boxscore?gid=20090815024

Looks like Devin was the leading rusher in the San Diego game and the leading kick returner for the Seahawks. Malcom Floyd caught one pass for a good gain.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

I am up here in Seattle obviously by my name lol , I was able to watch Devin play last night . He was with the first team kick returners and took the first kick about 25 yards and ran into the defender and pop him and knocked the defenders helmet off of him . Very good return . He got in during the last 3rd and 4th quarter to play and he seemed to do a decent job pass blocking out of the backfield and when he got the chance to run he did excellent . I watched the whole game and Devin looked like the best back out there on Seattle , he had the best speed and vision . His yards per carry would have been higher but the last two carries he got San Diego knew Seattle was trying to run out the clock and just handing it off so they stuffed the run . He was probably at 6 carries for 40 yards before the last two runs for no gain . Which would have put him at almost 7 yards a carry . I'm excited to watch him this Saturday against the Broncos , I just hope Seattle lets him play more with the 2nd team this time rather then the 3rd or 4th . He is better than Forsett for sure he jsut needs a chance to prove it on the field .

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….