Nattering nabobs of negativism

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 249 times

wypoke wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:17 pm Keep drinking that Bohl Kool- Aid.
I am sticking to my preseason prediction of a 3-9 season.
The 5 game skid starts this Friday with a beat down by Air Force followed by a mauling from BYU.
These two games will produce numerous injuries to some WYO starters affecting our future performance.
Only remaining win will be Hawaii.
I had us picked 2-4 wins before the season. But after watching the rest of the MWC, I actually believe this team can win a few more than that. This is the worst conference Wyoming has been in since I’ve followed Wyoming football. I can see anywhere from a low of 3 to a high of 7 wins.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 71 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:18 pm
The 5 game skid starts this Friday with a beat down by Air Force followed by a mauling from BYU.
These two games will produce numerous injuries to some WYO starters affecting our future performance.
You think we are not going to beat the sheep, utags, San Jose or New Mexico. Lol k
I don't. I think we can win those games. We could easily lose all of them. We had 144 passing yards on 30 attempts yesterday. UNC gave up over 300 passing yards and over 500 total yards to Houston Baptist. I can tell you right now that UNC is by far the worst team we will play this year. And we had a 6 point lead half way through the 4th qtr.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 249 times

bladerunnr wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:07 pm
You think we are not going to beat the sheep, utags, San Jose or New Mexico. Lol k
I don't. I think we can win those games. We could easily lose all of them. We had 144 passing yards on 30 attempts yesterday. UNC gave up over 300 passing yards and over 500 total yards to Houston Baptist. I can tell you right now that UNC is by far the worst team we will play this year. And we had a 6 point lead half way through the 4th qtr.
You’re giving Hawaii some undeserved credit. Northern Colorado could very well be better than them.

That said - Northern Colorado isn’t good and has been a really bad team for quite some time now.

Northern Colorado 3-8 in 2021
Houston Baptist 0-11 in 2021
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 622 times
Been liked: 256 times

We dominated unc on defense. It was different than our other struggles vs fcs foes. We actually looked like the better team.

For wypoke, I guarantee we beat at least one of the above mentioned teams, probably two and quite possibly three
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:54 pm
We dominated unc on defense. It was different than our other struggles vs fcs foes. We actually looked like the better team.

For wypoke, I guarantee we beat at least one of the above mentioned teams, probably two and quite possibly three
If we play completely mistake-free football, which is what Bohl's low-risk offense is supposed to do, we probably do win some of those games. I don't think it's likely though. The tendency of all Cowboy's teams (not just Bohl-led squads) is to play down to the opponent. That means that highly talented Wyoming teams have squeaked by in closer games than should have been based on just having better players. Do we truly have better players than the aforementioned teams? My gut says we don't....we have to play more disciplined and have a better game-plan. I like our chances to play more disciplined but I'm not confident our game-plan is worth the paper it's printed on.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

307bball wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:14 am

If we play completely mistake-free football, which is what Bohl's low-risk offense is supposed to do, we probably do win some of those games. I don't think it's likely though. The tendency of all Cowboy's teams (not just Bohl-led squads) is to play down to the opponent. That means that highly talented Wyoming teams have squeaked by in closer games than should have been based on just having better players. Do we truly have better players than the aforementioned teams? My gut says we don't....we have to play more disciplined and have a better game-plan. I like our chances to play more disciplined but I'm not confident our game-plan is worth the paper it's printed on.
How many game do you think we'll win this season?
307bball
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:19 am

I should have said "...we probably do win most of those games."

Before the season..I predicted four wins...that still feels about right. There are what, 4 games left on the schedule that we should at least have a chance in? If we lose our road games (which seems likely given our struggles away from home), that leaves USU and San Jose as the most likely route to four wins.
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

This ++++++
307bball wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:55 pm I think the Wyoming fan base comes by the negativity honestly. I didn't feel good after the fraudulent 4-0 start last year and I don't feel good right now.

I still like watching the pokes but I'm not seeing a good team right now. Heart? Sure... Talent? Not so much.... Overall program direction? Decidedly downward.
aranderson
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

307bball wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:18 am

Before the season..I predicted four wins...that still feels about right. There are what, 4 games left on the schedule that we should at least have a chance in? If we lose our road games (which seems likely given our struggles away from home), that leaves USU and San Jose as the most likely route to four wins.
I'm with Lander in all of this. I firmly believe that by the time the games come around we will have a greater than 50% chance to win against USU, SJSU, CSU, UNM and without question Hawaii. I also firmly believe that because of our style and history of keeping Air Force toned down we have a fairly decent shot in that game....the only games I legitimately see us getting shellacked in are BYU, and possibly Fresno. Boise is as vulnerable as I have ever seen them.

I also do not believe Wyoming will have a winning season because we are good or that our coaches are what made the difference. It will be because the Mountain West as a whole would be ranked behind the MAC in the conference rankings this year, it's that bad.

I'm excited at the possibilities, but I'm also passive as to what level of expectations to place on this team. I'll be happy if we win, but unsurprised whenever we lose. I do not have Brown and Gold glasses as I very easily could go cheer on the MSU Bobcats who are 5 hours closer to watch.
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

I definitely misjudged how bad the conference would be this year. My initial guess was 5 wins, Tulsa, UNC, Hawaii, SJSU, then maybe Utah State. Then I got pretty pessimistic and thought 2-4. It’s really hard to say now. My gut says we should be able to beat quite a few MW teams this year now, but past road woes and the every year baffling loss makes me think we’ll land somewhere between 2-4 more wins. I wouldn’t be surprised with anything between 4-6 wins at this point. If we get less than two more wins, I’d be surprised, if we get to 6 and get a bowl game and a win I’d be pleasantly surprised too.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 151 times
Been liked: 156 times

aranderson wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:07 pm
307bball wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:18 am

I'm with Lander in all of this. I firmly believe that by the time the games come around we will have a greater than 50% chance to win against USU, SJSU, CSU, UNM and without question Hawaii. I also firmly believe that because of our style and history of keeping Air Force toned down we have a fairly decent shot in that game....the only games I legitimately see us getting shellacked in are BYU, and possibly Fresno. Boise is as vulnerable as I have ever seen them.

I also do not believe Wyoming will have a winning season because we are good or that our coaches are what made the difference. It will be because the Mountain West as a whole would be ranked behind the MAC in the conference rankings this year, it's that bad.

I'm excited at the possibilities, but I'm also passive as to what level of expectations to place on this team. I'll be happy if we win, but unsurprised whenever we lose. I do not have Brown and Gold glasses as I very easily could go cheer on the MSU Bobcats who are 5 hours closer to watch.
There are 5 games that we SHOULD win. I'm guessing we'll drop 2 headscratchers. I could see us beating AF or Boise but not both. I think BYU and Fresno are probably both definite losses. 6-6.

6-6 with this team is a pretty decent outcome considering pre season predictions. A well coached team that progresses during the season wins all 5 against hawaii, CSU, Joser, UNM and Utags and pulls out a win against a struggling Boise team while dropping AF/BYU/Fresno. 8 wins is totally doable especially considering how bad some of our conference mates look.
W-Y, Until I Die!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

This team is darn young, too. If we can keep the team together we'll be good for a couple years.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:02 am This team is darn young, too. If we can keep the team together we'll be good for a couple years.
They are young...and that could be exciting.....however, keeping with the theme of negativism...

The glass half empty interpretation is that this will be as good as it gets going forward. As our young and exciting players mature, larger programs with deeper pockets lure them away.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

Imagine being this guy
W-Y, Until I Die!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:05 pm My Predicted finish:
1) CSU
2) Boise
3) USU
4) AFA
5) UNM
6) Wyo

CSU isn’t starting over. They are basically Nevada last year with better funding and a deeper roster. Yep - I’m predicting the Rams to the MWC championship game in the last year of divisions. Rocky Long has Bohl’s number. USU is once again loaded with transfer talent but will they gel? New college rules, AFA is going to struggle without the cut block.
or this guy. lol

I bet you've never been so happy to be so wrong though. It's all in good fun
W-Y, Until I Die!
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

CSU=Nevada
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

laxwyo wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:38 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:05 pm My Predicted finish:
1) CSU
2) Boise
3) USU
4) AFA
5) UNM
6) Wyo

CSU isn’t starting over. They are basically Nevada last year with better funding and a deeper roster. Yep - I’m predicting the Rams to the MWC championship game in the last year of divisions. Rocky Long has Bohl’s number. USU is once again loaded with transfer talent but will they gel? New college rules, AFA is going to struggle without the cut block.
or this guy. lol

I bet you've never been so happy to be so wrong though. It's all in good fun
A lot of wrong in that post, oredigger!!
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 12 times

That "Craig Bohl should be fired bandwagon" is currently seeking passengers. As always tickets for this ride are free.
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 41 times

PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:32 pm That "Craig Bohl should be fired bandwagon" is currently seeking passengers. As always tickets for this ride are free.
I wouldn’t speak too soon. Some passengers just got off to stretch their legs. They may be re-boarding depending on how these last games turn out.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

ZapPoke wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:38 pm
PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:32 pm That "Craig Bohl should be fired bandwagon" is currently seeking passengers. As always tickets for this ride are free.
I wouldn’t speak too soon. Some passengers just got off to stretch their legs. They may be re-boarding depending on how these last games turn out.
We lose to the Rams and they'll be lighting up the torches again.
W-Y, Until I Die!