Can this team keep from being sub .500 in MWC play?

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
PorkerPoke
Buckaroo

Like I said before - get ready for losses. At least mentally. That has become the Wyoming way as of the last few years in both football and basketball. Chances are good that the MWC will do to this team in losses what the OOC did with wins.

Ok - maybe not a 3-11 run going into the final two conference games of the year, but winning at all on the road will be a challenge and winning out on the home court probably won't happen either. Let's just be real and say 5-11 at the worst and 9-7 at the best.

That makes the final regular season record anywhere 16-14 with 20-11 a possibility. Now - is saying we will have a winning record such a negative stance? What is hard to take is that we continue in football and basketball year after year to get OUR ASSES TOTALLY WASTED BY BIG LOPSIDED UNCOMPETITIVE SCORES while we struggle against teams that get TOTALLY WASTED BY EVERYONE ELSE BUT US!!!!

The hope is that the GETTING BEAT SEVERELY on a routine basis comes to an end. A loss is a loss but getting beat BADLY just plain sucks big time no matter what lame excuses are made to cover up for pathetic play.
TheBuckhole
Buckaroo
Has liked: 2 times

I smelled that thumping we took last night a mile away. I really don't see where any conference wins are going to come from. Both TCU and CSU are better than expected, especially TCU. The rest of the conference, forget it, seriously. I've watched most of them play this year. SDSU, NM, UNLV, Utah and BYU are all very good teams, the weakest of the bunch being NM, maybe. The only win or two I see is an Air Force or CSU win at home.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Well, I can be pretty negative. However, Let's see how they play after this long break. We still have the best point guard in the conference. Also, we have some shooters. I think at home, we might shoot some teams out of the gym. However, we need to rebound better. Waddell needs to stay in the game. I hate to say it, but Linskens is a wasted scholarship. He shows no desire to play physical and he's too slow to play on the perimeter. Besides, we have too many perimeter players as it is. This team needs a Reggie Slater (who doesn't?) but we don't have one. In fact, it looks like we have 2-3 Maurice Alexanders.

In answer to the question, probably not. I see 6-10 or 7-9 in the league.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Damn, we have some crappy fans. At this point who knows how we'll do in conference. For one thing, we haven't lost a home game. All ouf our losses have come on the road against high RPI teams. The Utah game wasn't pretty, but keeping our guys in Utah for 6 days prior to that game didn't help.

This long break is what we needed to get refocused on the MWC season. Many games to play and many are winnable.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

crappy teams make crappy fans. Not one single win against a decent team. If they beat SDS next week, I might start to believe. There's still a bitter taste in my mouth after having to play in the play in game last year and losing to an 0-16 team. If that makes me a crappy fan, fine.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

You are mostly correct. However, Northern Iowa is turning out to be a good team. They are 3-1 in the MVC with a win at Creighton yesterday.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

I don't know how we will do in the MWC - there are quite a few real good teams in conference this year as there usually is, but this UW team has very good athletes and talent. Regardless of what some say, we are young and have started 3 freshmen - Waddell, Davis, and Muojeke and they have all been on the court at the same time several times. We are about to find out if this team has grown up and decided Schroyer is the coach. Starting Wednesday, the real season starts and there are no more excuses. This team has the potential to be right in the mix and can go as far as they decide they want to.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.