Day of Silence

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
mrtnt3x
A Real Cowboy

Did someone put baby in corner? A full day with no activity?

The basketball team is a prime example what I want to see out of our football team in the short term in that they are in every game, not giving up, and winning a game or two that we shouldn't. Embrace the team, play hard, play great defense, don't let anybody get to you, and then punching that mofo in the mouth!
Powder River ... Let 'R Buck!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

I was just about to say this might be the first time in forum history that the football forum was dead silent and the basketball forum was hop-hop-hoppin'.
ImageImageImageImage
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Good. Basketball team deserves the attention.
alyssa
A Real Cowboy

Too busy with hump day.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

I do hope to see some solid improvement, especially on the lines, but don't really expect the record to go up much for at least the first year or two. A hard transition on both sides of the ball to completely different styles of play and finding a new guy at QB will make a big learning curve there.
lakesbison
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Get used to upsets with ndsu staff!! That's all we did for years. Now wyoming will get some big football upsets! ! Bohl will.have tthe believing
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

lakesbison wrote:Get used to upsets with ndsu staff!! That's all we did for years. Now wyoming will get some big football upsets! ! Bohl will.have tthe believing
NDSU has been trending upwards for years. Wyoming has been trending downwards since 1999. This will not be an easy transition. Its one thing to do what he did at NDSU, where he has the advantage across the board in the MVC (talent, facilities, momentum, etc.) compared to trying to rebuild Wyoming. I was suggesting Wyoming should go after Bohl back in October....he's a great coach. But fromolwyoming is right....this will take time. Anyone expecting instant miracles will be disappointed. I just hope to see improvements in all facets of the program. Bohl will need time.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

We will see improvements in the first year you can already tell the S&C is changing, I don't expect a complete 180 but we'll see changes. I also expect slow 1-2+ wins per year as time increases. Where CDC basically had one great year from seniors and then a bunch of mediocre years.

2009 I don't even consider as part of CDC's record sure he was the coach but our seniors carried that team not the coaching.

2009 7-6
2010 3-9
2011 8-5
2012 4-8
2013 5-7

Now IMO the AD jumped the gun on the immediate contract extension and raise for CDC because he didn't really deserve it. That being said I expect Bohl to turn this team around and I don't expect us to have a MWC title but I do expect for the first year that we will look improved on the numbers if not on the W:L ratio.

I hope to see some .500 finishes during the first 2 years but won't be to bent out of shape if we don't see them but I expect serious change in the 3rd year as it is the put up or shut-up year.

Football is going to be like Basketball was 3 years ago when we were the laughing stock of well everyone. It's going to be a hard time to endure but so be it.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

J-Rod wrote:
lakesbison wrote:Get used to upsets with ndsu staff!! That's all we did for years. Now wyoming will get some big football upsets! ! Bohl will.have tthe believing
NDSU has been trending upwards for years. Wyoming has been trending downwards since 1999. This will not be an easy transition. Its one thing to do what he did at NDSU, where he has the advantage across the board in the MVC (talent, facilities, momentum, etc.) compared to trying to rebuild Wyoming. I was suggesting Wyoming should go after Bohl back in October....he's a great coach. But fromolwyoming is right....this will take time. Anyone expecting instant miracles will be disappointed. I just hope to see improvements in all facets of the program. Bohl will need time.
NDSU wasn't anywhere near as good as they are now when he got there. They weren't even in the MVFC. They were Division II. Bohl was the guy who helped turn the momentum in NDSUs favor.

But yes, an instant turnaround is highly unlikely.

I think its more likely you'd see something similar to when a former NDSU basketball coach was hired to coach your rivals to the south.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Wyo2dal wrote:We will see improvements in the first year you can already tell the S&C is changing, I don't expect a complete 180 but we'll see changes. I also expect slow 1-2+ wins per year as time increases. Where CDC basically had one great year from seniors and then a bunch of mediocre years.

2009 I don't even consider as part of CDC's record sure he was the coach but our seniors carried that team not the coaching.

2009 7-6
2010 3-9
2011 8-5
2012 4-8
2013 5-7

Now IMO the AD jumped the gun on the immediate contract extension and raise for CDC because he didn't really deserve it. That being said I expect Bohl to turn this team around and I don't expect us to have a MWC title but I do expect for the first year that we will look improved on the numbers if not on the W:L ratio.

I hope to see some .500 finishes during the first 2 years but won't be to bent out of shape if we don't see them but I expect serious change in the 3rd year as it is the put up or shut-up year.

Football is going to be like Basketball was 3 years ago when we were the laughing stock of well everyone. It's going to be a hard time to endure but so be it.
Really, 09 our seniors carried us? We played "the most" freshman in the nation that year, not only that but a vast majority of freshman were starting. And on top of that we had freshman starting in key positions.

At least give credit where credit is due.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Yeah ACS had nothing to do with that 24 point comeback against SDSU in San Diego. Not like him and Alvester and Toole did work. Oh and our kicker with that goofy kick off where it bounced of the SDSU guys hands and Wyo recovered.
ACS also didn't have anything to do with that stiff arm where the CSU corner back fell down. He just tripped and slid...

The freshman were huge for the team that year.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Hayduke
Cowpoke

lakesbison wrote: Bohl will.have tthe believing
Very profound.
“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”
Frank Zappa
cowboyz
Cowpoke

BeaverPoke wrote:Yeah ACS had nothing to do with that 24 point comeback against SDSU in San Diego. Not like him and Alvester and Toole did work. Oh and our kicker with that goofy kick off where it bounced of the SDSU guys hands and Wyo recovered.
ACS also didn't have anything to do with that stiff arm where the CSU corner back fell down. He just tripped and slid...

The freshman were huge for the team that year.
You're exactly right, except the kicker for kick-offs was a senior. Our freshman handled the PAT's and FGs, and he did hit the game winner in San Diego, along with 2 others that year. But it was a freshman, Kenny Browder, that recovered that kick-off, that gave us the chance. Kenny also recovered the kick at FAU that enabled us to win that game also. Our 3 leading scorers were freshman, with one a freshman all-american (Gary) and another 3rd team freshman all-american (Watts). It was also 2 freshman that combined for our first score vs. Texas, Ruff blocked the punt and Ghalli scored the TD. Yes, the seniors played a big part that year, as did many juniors and sophomores, but the electricity came from the freshman. How fun could it have been if we could have kept them all together for 4 years, or even had some of them see the field more? Wasting Browder on special teams, and rarely letting the hard hitting Knight see the field, so that DC could prove his German experiment wasn't a failure was a real shame.
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

The problem with everything...how many of those important freshman stayed through their senior seasons?
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Kenny Browder had major off the field issues though. Got arrested twice in a 3 day period leading to a suspension.

And of those freshman, 2 ended up at BCS schools. Just something to note.

DC knows talent, too bad he can't coach or he would have done well!

Oh well, Bohl knows how to coach and knows toughness.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.