Join The Posse - Sellout vs. Montana

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Wow. That's actually pretty impressive, especially for a home opener against a FCS team (nothing personal Montana fans, it is what is though).
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 317 times
Been liked: 124 times

fromolwyoming wrote:Wow. That's actually pretty impressive, especially for a home opener against a FCS team (nothing personal Montana fans, it is what is though).
Agreed. Good to see that many are interested in watching UW take on that D2 team from Montana. ;)
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:Wow. That's actually pretty impressive, especially for a home opener against a FCS team (nothing personal Montana fans, it is what is though).
Agreed. Good to see that many are interested in watching UW take on that D2 team from Montana. ;)
It has very little to do with the opponent and all to do with Coach Bohl. We could be playing the Nebraska Girls Technical Institute and it would still be a sellout. People around the state are excited for Bohl.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 317 times
Been liked: 124 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
McPeachy wrote:
It has very little to do with the opponent and all to do with Coach Bohl. We could be playing the Nebraska Girls Technical Institute and it would still be a sellout. People around the state are excited for Bohl.
Good point.

Don't flatter yourself Montana!
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
HighPlainsDrifter
Buckaroo

I'm sure UM fans are doing their part. I read earlier that they are expected to bring 3k, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were more than that when all is said and done.

That's one of the many benefits of playing a regional program. I'd much rather host Montana than McNeese State or some other FCS school from across the country.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 34 times

But even when Wyoming plays Weber State, a regional school, they only bring a handful of fans because no one is a Weber fan. Hell they only pack in 3000 to their own stadium. It's picking the right regional school.. Like Montana, Montana State, NDSU, UND, etc.
ImageImageImageImage
gopokes1399
Blog Team

1854 left. Burman said they are working out a deal to start selling student section/General admission tickets as well
Brew_Poke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 4 times

stymeman wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:I appreciate your points, however having been around D1 athletics and around Wyoming football in particular, I am not as optimistic to the loyalty of some 18-23 years olds as you may be.

1. Wyoming is the only game in Wyoming. I wouldn't support it (like I do now) any longer, but the next generation would. When you are the only movie theatre, people are going to go watch, like what is showing or not.

A valid point, but you can forget about people driving across the state and up from Fort Collins/Denver for games. The Laramie, Cheyenne, and maybe Casper crowd is about it.

2. We have more money to spend than most (if not all) of the current FCS programs have. Our current AD is good at just floating by - so naturally it would fit. Maintain the budget, and UW would be golden. I am sure they (the AD) has thought about how much less effort they would have to give (and how they wouldn't have to work "as hard").

We have money now, but if we dropped to FCS, our budget would be shredded. We would lose a lot of sponsor $$$, we would lose ticket revenues, we would lose TV money (not a ton, but still). Not to mention the massive loss of money from the Wildcatter suites, we would have to drop prices or it would not be used nearly as much IMO.

3. To say that 52 to 53 players would bail out is an overstatement of epic proportions IMO. Would some transfer out? Certainly. But also...some would transfer in as well. Any player from the FBS ranks could drop down and immediately play at FCS Wyoming (**See previous posts on how FCS programs attract FBS talent**). The pool is deeper there, than the reverse!

This is the big one for me. I am certain that we would lose a large percentage of athletes due to transfer. Seniors might stick around, but junior, sophs, etc...I bet 50%+ of each class would leave. Also, keep in mind that FCS programs only are allowed 63 scholarships as opposed to the 85 of FBS, so that would severely limit recruiting for the first year or two.

4. The level of competition. I don't even want to get into that...but the gap is HUGE. You think the gap is big between the SEC and MWC, you should consider the gaps that exist in the FCS. To be top 20 FCS really isn't anything special.

I agree that the gap between FBS and FCS is huge, HOWEVER, the gap between Wyoming and Alabama is far greater than the gap between Wyoming and North Dakota State. I'm not saying that our current roster couldn't dominate the FCS, my point is that we would not have our current roster, it would be a shell of what it is now.

The biggest reason I feel that this would hurt UW is because a lot of the recruits we bring in are because we are FBS. If we were suddenly FCS, we would lose recruits to No. Colorado, Montana, Montana St., the Dakotas, etc. We wouldn't be anything special. Sure we would get local kids, but that's about it. IMHO, within 3 years, we would be a good, but not great FCS program, and that's where we would stay.
I like your points here, but I think what alot of our fans need to start thinking about is, we being in the lower echelon's of College football, 99.5 times outta 100, we'd never play for a National title or make it in the top 10-top 5 of college football. This year was truly our year to be a Boise State and the schedule setup nicely for us, with a good spread offense, an AWESOME Senior QB in Mr Brett Smith. With his experience and such, going to an Oregon stadium he could pull the Nebraska from last year and perhaps pull it off. And maybe going to into Spartan Stadium and pulling that upset as well, just imagine...2014 woulda been our year if all the stars aligned and I saw this a couple years ago that Wyoming "could matter" for a change, BUT......we all know what happened there. As much as everyone hated DC i think it was a year premature, but we can't turn back the hands of the clock. So yes I am a bit excited for having Coach Bohl and what he's all about, but i think our team is a major work in progress and we'll see his true metal. I know he'll turn things around and such, but not this year, not without his own troops, some will buy in some will stay in DC's mold. Now i guess our fans need to understand our goal is to try to win the MWC Championships and as good as bowl as we can get, but no more than that. Sure I want UW to matter and play with the big boys in games that matter, but College Football is at light speed where as we are just a blip on the radar screen. So with all that being said good luck Coach Bohl, give us something to be proud of and let's matter in the Mountain West for a change and build for that year in and year out!!!!!! With that then maybe, just maybe we can sneak into the big boy league once in awhile, I just hope Coach Bohl is committed to want to stay in Laramie for quite some time.
Thanks for listening and understanding!!!! GO POKES!!!!!
San Jose State plays in Laramie this year.
:thumb:
johnywyo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 2 times

Anyone have an idea why we are ponying up $4ook to the Griz for this show?
Seems like a lot of samolians for a team of this caliber. Just wondering....
At the molecular level all mankind is a brilliant super-nova.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Been liked: 34 times

Gotta pay to get someone to come to your house.. just like we probably got some cash to go to Texas twice. FCS teams don't play up without a pay day. Montana got like.. $900K to go to Tennessee or something crazy. Oddly enough, Montana is losing money on this game by not having a home game.. for a team like Idaho State, Weber State, Southern Utah, and countless other teams play-up games are the only way their athletic programs (not just football) stay solvent.
ImageImageImageImage
lakesbison
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

400k? Yea I figured $250 - 300k they didn't have to travel far maybe bussed?
gopokes1399
Blog Team

There's no way they're bussing, it's over 11 hours to get from Missoula to Laramie
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

johnywyo wrote:Anyone have an idea why we are ponying up $4ook to the Griz for this show?

Actually, that is a pretty reasonable amount. We could probably get someone like ISU or UNC for about $300k, but teams in the Big 10, Big 12, etc. are paying $600k+ to FCS opponents (and $1M+ to teams like us, I think that is what we get from Michigan St., can't remember for sure).
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

NowherePoke wrote:
johnywyo wrote:Anyone have an idea why we are ponying up $4ook to the Griz for this show?

Actually, that is a pretty reasonable amount. We could probably get someone like ISU or UNC for about $300k, but teams in the Big 10, Big 12, etc. are paying $600k+ to FCS opponents (and $1M+ to teams like us, I think that is what we get from Michigan St., can't remember for sure).
Kansas State paid NDSU $350k last year.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

joshvanklomp wrote:
NowherePoke wrote:

Kansas State paid NDSU $350k last year.

Here's a relatively recent article (2013) about Big 10 payouts to FCS opponents: http://www.foxsports.com/wisconsin/stor ... 13--070813

I guess the average is only about $500k. I was thinking it was a little higher.

Wyoming is getting $1M from Michigan State.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Wyo is getting 1 million from Michigan State simple because Michigan State was in a crunch and needed to add someone.
We had a bye week in the week they needed an opponent, so we had some leverage.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

BeaverPoke wrote:Wyo is getting 1 million from Michigan State simple because Michigan State was in a crunch and needed to add someone.
We had a bye week in the week they needed an opponent, so we had some leverage.
That's about the going rate now for that type of game. We got $900k for the game in Austin in 2012 (http://www.gowyo.com/sports/m-footbl/sp ... 08aaa.html) and that was signed over 6 years ago.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

hence the $40-$45 ticket prices this year, but hey it's a business anymore
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 8 times

1845 tix left, T-Minus 48 hours!