Christensen talk

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Cheywypoke
Ranch Hand

I heard Coach Christensen talk at the Cheyenne Rotary Club yesterday. While he didn't talk in many specifics regarding players, he did sound pretty proud of his recruiting class considering they only had four weeks to put it together. One thing he did emphasis though was that he is "sick and tired of hearing and being asked about Texas." He wants people to talk about the Cowboys because despite who the opponent is, they are the team that will be playing in War Memorial. He says that he can guarantee that they will show up for every game (unlike the basketball team - my reference to bball, not Christensen's).
cheypoke
Ranch Hand

I wish I could have heard his talk. I would agree with the Texas comment though. That is the least important game on the schedule really. It packs the stadium and gets us some good exposure, but every other game i think is more important in some other fashion. But I'm sure glad he is addressing the issue of "showing up" for every game. Your point is well taken about the bball team, but its equally applicable to the football team last year. Unfortunely, despite the ultimatum hanging over Glenn's head all year, he frequently didnt have that team ready or motiviated to play hard. And they were certainly FAR from "tough." That, in my opinion, is the most important change for DC to make.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 48 times

Haha. Sick and tired of hearing about Texas? Well, he better get used to it because the talk of the Texas game is only going to intensify as the season approaches. Like it or not, everybody knows, including the players, that a shot at Texas at home is much more enticing than a shot at Weber St. in Laramie. Yeah, I know, every game matters and beating Weber St. helps us get to a bowl game just as much as beating Texas does. However, things just don't work like that. The fans, players, and even coaches will be much more stoked for the Texas game.
Cheywypoke
Ranch Hand

He also said that during his practices, all the players are expected to go hard for the full 2 1/2 hours. He said that there isn't a lot of standing around from the minute they start until the horn blows to quit and that players are either running to a drill or participating in one. He also mentioned that after the first full-pad contact practice (on Sunday, I believe) there were about 15 guys on the injury report. His response to the players was "you guys need to toughen up."
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

That many injuries may call attention to the pre-conditioning coach. He may not have prepared them vis-a-vis pre-practice stretching and warm up, plus post-practice stretching and cool-down.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 48 times

There is a difference between being hurt and having an injury. You can play hurt. It sounds like a lot of the guys with the red jerseys on might have a few annoying, painful things going on, but they need to learn how to play through it. It's about time we started living up to our mantra of being Cowboy tough. Hopefully, these guys get a little bit thicker skin and toughen up mentally by the time the season rolls around.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

Cheywypoke wrote:I heard Coach Christensen talk at the Cheyenne Rotary Club yesterday. While he didn't talk in many specifics regarding players, he did sound pretty proud of his recruiting class considering they only had four weeks to put it together. One thing he did emphasis though was that he is "sick and tired of hearing and being asked about Texas." He wants people to talk about the Cowboys because despite who the opponent is, they are the team that will be playing in War Memorial. He says that he can guarantee that they will show up for every game (unlike the basketball team - my reference to bball, not Christensen's).
I don't blame him for being tired of hearing about Texass. I agree, and am with him. Eff Texass. Bring it on you burnt orange a holes...get ready for 7200 feet of physical football.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...