Pokes fans are delusional

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
NodakBizon
Buckaroo

I have been following the Pokes since 2003 when I moved from ND to Cheyenne. First year they get a brand new coach, one who I was very familiar with from his d2 days at Northern Colorado. Wyo fans were all excited, first year goes 4-8, next year they beat a SEC team and win the LV bowl and omg Glenn could run for governor and win, that's how insane it was in cowboy country. Hopes were high, we finally got a decent coach, good returning nucleus for next year, hey everyone we're winning the MW conference next year. Well, they lose to a tough Florida team on the road but then run off 4 straight including beating Ole Miss at their house, and then the wheels came off. Lose the next 6, finish 4-7 and all of a sudden Laramie is starting to smolder. Next year WYO goes 6-6 and doesn't make a bowl and in 07' go 5-7 and in 08' although beating Tennessee in Knoxville, the pokes finish 4-8 and Glenn gets fired. Christensen comes to Laramie and once again history repeats itself. Fans are excited, win a meaningless bowl game, then 3-9 next year, fans get nervous, then make another meaningless worthless bowl game, then 4-8 with ol Dave going loco on Air Force, crappy year next year and he's out. Then comes Bohl, who starts changing the terrible culture and gets rid of the bad attitudes and cancers, and from the house cleaning ends up with 9 seniors on the roster out of over 100 players and you guys think he should be winning the Mountain West, get real. It's time to face the reality that Laramie is the rectum of the US and Jesus would have a hard time recruiting there. Best Vanderbilt oops I mean WYO will ever do or ever be is win or get to the Vegas bowl once every 10 years and 2 games under .500 every year after that. Give Bohl more than 2 years before you all start calling for his head in the hopes of landing the next big splash hot coach, who will end up being the OC or DC from Rice or Tulsa whose only making 200k and wants a big pay upgrade knowing he has no shot in hell of winning. So good luck the rest of the year and enjoy the basketball season.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

NodakBizon wrote:I have been following the Pokes since 2003 when I moved from ND to Cheyenne. First year they get a brand new coach, one who I was very familiar with from his d2 days at Northern Colorado. Wyo fans were all excited, first year goes 4-8, next year they beat a SEC team and win the LV bowl and omg Glenn could run for governor and win, that's how insane it was in cowboy country. Hopes were high, we finally got a decent coach, good returning nucleus for next year, hey everyone we're winning the MW conference next year. Well, they lose to a tough Florida team on the road but then run off 4 straight including beating Ole Miss at their house, and then the wheels came off. Lose the next 6, finish 4-7 and all of a sudden Laramie is starting to smolder. Next year WYO goes 6-6 and doesn't make a bowl and in 07' go 5-7 and in 08' although beating Tennessee in Knoxville, the pokes finish 4-8 and Glenn gets fired. Christensen comes to Laramie and once again history repeats itself. Fans are excited, win a meaningless bowl game, then 3-9 next year, fans get nervous, then make another meaningless worthless bowl game, then 4-8 with ol Dave going loco on Air Force, crappy year next year and he's out. Then comes Bohl, who starts changing the terrible culture and gets rid of the bad attitudes and cancers, and from the house cleaning ends up with 9 seniors on the roster out of over 100 players and you guys think he should be winning the Mountain West, get real. It's time to face the reality that Laramie is the rectum of the US and Jesus would have a hard time recruiting there. Best Vanderbilt oops I mean WYO will ever do or ever be is win or get to the Vegas bowl once every 10 years and 2 games under .500 every year after that. Give Bohl more than 2 years before you all start calling for his head in the hopes of landing the next big splash hot coach, who will end up being the OC or DC from Rice or Tulsa whose only making 200k and wants a big pay upgrade knowing he has no shot in hell of winning. So good luck the rest of the year and enjoy the basketball season.
Solid post from another dip poop. Laramie isn't a paradise, but better than anything North Dakota has to offer. Get lost.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 130 times

4 years is more than sufficient time to turn around a program. We've been through this. Go back and find the thread. Almost all successful G5 coaches had 7+ wins within 4 seasons. Where in the hell are Glenn and DC now? You think WYO was their only problem? GTF outta here.

Every single new coach hire says the same damn thing about cancers and kids from the previous regime not wanting to work. Every time. Hell, the script DC gave and the players gave after their first spring with DC was damn near identical to when Bohl took over.

The poop about recruiting to Laramie is overblown and something perpetuated by a losing mentality in Wyoming. There are more FBS-level recruits than ever before. Time and time again, the #1 response from recruits of why they sign with a team is because of relationships with coaches. Big city, distance, cold, isolation, and all the rest of that is an overblown excuse. I will guarantee you one thing, it is one hell of a lot harder to recruit FBS-level football players to Air Force than it is Wyoming.

Bottom line is you either win or you don't. You either have "it" has a coach or you don't. Our administration makes it a challenge for coaches, no doubt, but Urban Meyer would win here within 4 years. Is Bohl an Urban Meyer like coach? We'll see.

Oh and the worst thing about hiring Bohl, the freaking ND baggage that comes with him.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 34 times

Did you guys know that more people attend meaningless bowl games, and watch meaningless bowl games on TV than tune in to watch NDSU in the FCS championship? Yet, the bison guy is here spouting off. Cute. Check in when you step up to the big leagues.
ImageImageImageImage
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

Time and time again, the #1 response from recruits of why they sign with a team is because of relationships with coaches. Big city, distance, cold, isolation, and all the rest of that is an overblown excuse.
If that were a good excuse, Notre Dame football would have petered out about 50 years ago.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Delusional? Fine, but at least we know where the enter key is.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

Another North Dakota fan who thinks Bohl walks on water.....maybe he does, but down here we call it ice.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 615 times
Been liked: 248 times

I agree that fans need to calm down and accept the situation for what it is. Many deep breaths are needed. Things will get better.

What kills me though is how obnoxious people from the upper midwest are. Speaking of upper Midwesterers... haven't heard from Van Klomp now that I think about it.
RedRiverPoke4
Buckaroo

Wow, someones salty! :lol:
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 8 times

Just off of the top of my head, college towns that are equal to or poop than Laramie:

Norman, OK
Lubbock, TX
West Lafayette, IN
Fresno, CA
East Lansing, MI

Oh...and Fargo, ND

These are just a few I can think of off of the top of my head that I have been to and thought were pretty craptastic towns, my apologies to anyone that lives or has lived there, I mean nothing personal.

So looking at that, most of the schools in those towns don't have as big an issue in recruiting talent to their school, so there must be more than the town when a recruit decides to commit somewhere.
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

Oh, take East Lansing, MI, off that list.

That's a nice and fun town.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

NodakBizon wrote:I have been following the Pokes since 2003 when I moved from ND to Cheyenne. First year they get a brand new coach, one who I was very familiar with from his d2 days at Northern Colorado. Wyo fans were all excited, first year goes 4-8, next year they beat a SEC team and win the LV bowl and omg Glenn could run for governor and win, that's how insane it was in cowboy country. Hopes were high, we finally got a decent coach, good returning nucleus for next year, hey everyone we're winning the MW conference next year. Well, they lose to a tough Florida team on the road but then run off 4 straight including beating Ole Miss at their house, and then the wheels came off. Lose the next 6, finish 4-7 and all of a sudden Laramie is starting to smolder. Next year WYO goes 6-6 and doesn't make a bowl and in 07' go 5-7 and in 08' although beating Tennessee in Knoxville, the pokes finish 4-8 and Glenn gets fired. Christensen comes to Laramie and once again history repeats itself. Fans are excited, win a meaningless bowl game, then 3-9 next year, fans get nervous, then make another meaningless worthless bowl game, then 4-8 with ol Dave going loco on Air Force, crappy year next year and he's out. Then comes Bohl, who starts changing the terrible culture and gets rid of the bad attitudes and cancers, and from the house cleaning ends up with 9 seniors on the roster out of over 100 players and you guys think he should be winning the Mountain West, get real. It's time to face the reality that Laramie is the rectum of the US and Jesus would have a hard time recruiting there. Best Vanderbilt oops I mean WYO will ever do or ever be is win or get to the Vegas bowl once every 10 years and 2 games under .500 every year after that. Give Bohl more than 2 years before you all start calling for his head in the hopes of landing the next big splash hot coach, who will end up being the OC or DC from Rice or Tulsa whose only making 200k and wants a big pay upgrade knowing he has no shot in hell of winning. So good luck the rest of the year and enjoy the basketball season.
Spent some thought and time on how to respond to this. After careful consideration and some serious pondering of the issues raised here, I've concluded you can suck a delusional fart out of our collective delucional a--holes.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 8 times

SnowyRange wrote:Oh, take East Lansing, MI, off that list.

Honestly, I was considering putting Ann Arbor on that list too. Nice university, but I was not impressed by the town at all.
johnywyo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 2 times

East Lansing, good College Town- lousy stadium and Izzo is king. Lansing, spectacularly uninspiring.
Ann Arbor, interesting menagerie of culture- obviously the big house is a ticket you'd like to own if Wyo gets invited. The rivalry and setting for Big 10 athletics for both of these programs is a destination that opponents fear. Ann Arbor > E Lansing. Spartan fans will disavow that fact, but unbiased critics will agree.

Laramie, we all know grows on you....but you don't come to Wyoming to hang out there except on Saturdays or when the AA is in session. Can't vouch for the other joints, don't know much about em'.
At the molecular level all mankind is a brilliant super-nova.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 154 times

WestWYOPoke wrote:

Honestly, I was considering putting Ann Arbor on that list too. Nice university, but I was not impressed by the town at all.
Cincinnati might be the scariest university in the country.

UK is pretty damn nice. Princeton is amazing. Marshall is a poop hole.

Wyoming has as nicer campus than any of these except Princeton but all these places have a 1000 times more things to do than Laramie does. Laramie is a dump. Is UW the only university that resides in a dead town?
W-Y, Until I Die!
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 68 times

WestWYOPoke wrote:Just off of the top of my head, college towns that are equal to or poop than Laramie:

Norman, OK
Lubbock, TX
West Lafayette, IN
Fresno, CA
East Lansing, MI

Oh...and Fargo, ND

These are just a few I can think of off of the top of my head that I have been to and thought were pretty craptastic towns, my apologies to anyone that lives or has lived there, I mean nothing personal.

So looking at that, most of the schools in those towns don't have as big an issue in recruiting talent to their school, so there must be more than the town when a recruit decides to commit somewhere.
You don't need an ice scraper in Fresno......and the women are hotter and slutier
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

There was an article that came out a couple weeks ago naming Laramie as the best college town. It might not be big and might not be the prettiest town, but it is a great college town with some good scenery to the west and east.

http://www.collegevaluesonline.com/feat ... n-america/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by JimmyDimes on Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 130 times

laxwyo wrote: Is UW the only university that resides in a dead town?
Pullman, WA?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 317 times
Been liked: 124 times

All this poop about Laramie and UW not being paradise, tough to recruit to, etc., pisses me off. Any of you ever played D1 football in the last 20 years? Tell me how much "free time" you have to go do other things in the community...no matter where that community is located.

It is like a bunch of you think the kids have every weekend off, every night off, and have all this free time. You don't get it, and you don't understand the day in a life of the D1 football player. Hence one of the reasons the NCAA started allowing universities to pay athletes extra $$ on the side.

Oh, and Denver is 2 hours away last time I drove that route. That is a typical commute-for-entertainment (pro sports, concerts, clubs, etc.) at a lot of other schools throughout the country. So if you really need it that style of "to-do", and you really have the time for it after your dedication to being a fully funded athlete, it is there for you.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 317 times
Been liked: 124 times

laxwyo wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:

Cincinnati might be the scariest university in the country.

UK is pretty damn nice. Princeton is amazing. Marshall is a poop hole.

Wyoming has as nicer campus than any of these except Princeton but all these places have a 1000 times more things to do than Laramie does. Laramie is a dump. Is UW the only university that resides in a dead town?
What is your definition of "dead town"? No strip clubs? No malls? If so, make the 40 minute commute to Cheyenne. Or the 60 minute commute to Fort Fart. Or the 2 hour commute to Denver. All three have that.

Pretty sure if you are a dedicated fully funded athlete, you don't have that much time on your hands to go trolling the Hunt Club anyway.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...