WYO @ SJSU

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 603 times
Been liked: 240 times

Wyolie Coyote wrote:Fugly! I shut it off, couldn't stand to watch anymore. Shyatt needs try a new allocation of minutes. Not sure I care to watch Trey anymore, same for Lieberman and dalton.
Spot on. These should be the last three off the bench.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

PorkerPoke wrote:What perplexes me about Coach Shyatt is:

Does he play to the strengths of the team?

or

Does he play to hide the weaknesses?

Getting out rebounded game after game is a weakness. Teams have figured out how to collapse on drives by Adams and how to cover the kick out pass Adams makes. When those teams do not do that well or when the Pokes get off the quick shot and make it, then the Pokes are poised to win. Getting beat by 17 boards means that the opponent got that many more chances to score. Isn't an objective of basketball defense to limit your opponents opportunities to score and maximize yours?

Coach Shyatt has his team "in" the games, but the style of play also keeps the opponent "in" the game as well.

The killer is that UW is once again the source for helping really bad teams find success. Football gives NM a win a few years ago that was their first in many MWC games and gives Eastern Michigan their first OOC road win in like 20 years. Now giving SJSU their first win in 27 MWC games. Unfortunately, UW programs tend to tip towards the weaker side of competitiveness it seems like.

Simply frustrating to lose, but the way in which it occurs and to really bad programs on top of it all.
This is why we need to put the ball in James's hands a lot more. He's the only other one that can create off the dribble. It'll take tons of pressure off of Josh and would help the offense. I don't know how Shyatt doesn't see this.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

It's one thing to struggle, but it's another thing when it feels like we aren't playing the best lineups to give us a chance to win. Sure Shyatt has the benefit of the doubt in most cases but losses to SJSU are in my book unacceptable. And when it feels like we aren't going down with our best lineups out on the court it's utterly baffling. I watched Marshall in UNLV warm ups throwing down every kind of dunk in the book, with ease I would add, 360 degree dunks, everything, and you're telling me he's not able to contribute in some way right now? He doesn't even get a chance with Lieberman and Trey mostly struggling to do much of anything? Naughton only gets 9 minutes after a breakout game against UNLV? James gets pulled for missing a defensive switch despite bringing a great, sorely needed, skill set to the offensive end?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

calpoke25 wrote:It's one thing to struggle, but it's another thing when it feels like we aren't playing the best lineups to give us a chance to win. Sure Shyatt has the benefit of the doubt in most cases but losses to SJSU are in my book unacceptable. And when it feels like we aren't going down with our best lineups out on the court it's utterly baffling. I watched Marshall in UNLV warm ups throwing down every kind of dunk in the book, with ease I would add, 360 degree dunks, everything, and you're telling me he's not able to contribute in some way right now? He doesn't even get a chance with Lieberman and Trey mostly struggling to do much of anything? Naughton only gets 9 minutes after a breakout game against UNLV? James gets pulled for missing a defensive switch despite bringing a great, sorely needed, skill set to the offensive end?
Amen
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

Didn't see this game and that sounds like a blessing from what I'm reading. I was almost gonna opt out of work to go to this one too, very happy I skipped on that idea. I don't understand how Naughton isn't seeing at least 15 mins or more every game at this point. It kills me to see we got shellacked on the boards like that without him seeing any real PT. We shot terrible last night. Pokes always struggle in California and road wins are gonna be tough to come by. I'm guessing we can maybe get them at AF and CSU since they are so close by. I'm hoping we can get the 7th seed in the tourney, gotta stay out of that 8/9 seed game. I believe we'll be tough on a neutral court by seasons end and tough to beat at home. Not really surprised by this loss to be honest, I kinda felt like it might be coming.
Riding High!!!
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Ugly game but we knew it would happen. I've said all year long it will be a rollercoaster with this team. WIn some we shouldn't, lose some we shouldn't. This was the second kind. Thing is if Josh plays a just average or even bad game we win. He had an extremely rough game for him. I love Josh and know he will bounce back but no question he played terrible last night especially at the end. Hope it is just a slump and he will bounce back and not something more serious.
We had so many missed shots at the rim. No one could finish. Thought the only one who was finishing at the rim was Trey. He only had 4 points but I remember at least 2 other times he blew by his guy and finished at the rim onoly to have a foul be called on the floor(that were close to being shooting). Liked a lot of what I saw from Herndon, needs to drive more. We need to get Gorski involved earlier in the game. I'm thinking Naughton has some conditioning issues like when DC first got here that is limiting the amount of minutes they want to use him.
SJSU is not very good but I agree with others that this will not be there only conference win this year.
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

TSpoke wrote:Ugly game but we knew it would happen. I've said all year long it will be a rollercoaster with this team. WIn some we shouldn't, lose some we shouldn't. This was the second kind. Thing is if Josh plays a just average or even bad game we win. He had an extremely rough game for him. I love Josh and know he will bounce back but no question he played terrible last night especially at the end. Hope it is just a slump and he will bounce back and not something more serious.
We had so many missed shots at the rim. No one could finish. Thought the only one who was finishing at the rim was Trey. He only had 4 points but I remember at least 2 other times he blew by his guy and finished at the rim onoly to have a foul be called on the floor(that were close to being shooting). Liked a lot of what I saw from Herndon, needs to drive more. We need to get Gorski involved earlier in the game. I'm thinking Naughton has some conditioning issues like when DC first got here that is limiting the amount of minutes they want to use him.
SJSU is not very good but I agree with others that this will not be there only conference win this year.
Actually you might be right on the money now that you mention it. He was huffin and puffin pretty hard in that UNLV game if I recall correctly. I remember seeing that during a run when he looked gassed but kept fighting. Maybe Shyatt knows what he's doing after all ;)
Riding High!!!
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy wrote:
TSpoke wrote:Ugly game but we knew it would happen. I've said all year long it will be a rollercoaster with this team. WIn some we shouldn't, lose some we shouldn't. This was the second kind. Thing is if Josh plays a just average or even bad game we win. He had an extremely rough game for him. I love Josh and know he will bounce back but no question he played terrible last night especially at the end. Hope it is just a slump and he will bounce back and not something more serious.
Actually you might be right on the money now that you mention it. He was huffin and puffin pretty hard in that UNLV game if I recall correctly. I remember seeing that during a run when he looked gassed but kept fighting. Maybe Shyatt knows what he's doing after all ;)
Not possible. :D

I honestly don't know about Naughton but it would make sense.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Put this one in the rear view mirror and head on down the road.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

It's all about improvement and growth now. This loss ends any hopes of an at-large bid...so getting hot in Vegas again is the only option for the big dance. That seems unlikely at this point. The goal is to just see the younger players get better.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

One solution may be to have Adams have less minutes - like maybe 28-30. This gives him rest and a chance to watch and ponder his moves in the game. But it also lets the others step up and not depend on his "star power".
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Adv8RU12 wrote:One solution may be to have Adams have less minutes - like maybe 28-30. This gives him rest and a chance to watch and ponder his moves in the game. But it also lets the others step up and not depend on his "star power".
You could be on to something. Maybe even give him a week off somewhere to get his mind and body some much deserved rest.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Adv8RU12 wrote:One solution may be to have Adams have less minutes - like maybe 28-30. This gives him rest and a chance to watch and ponder his moves in the game. But it also lets the others step up and not depend on his "star power".
There was a stretch last night where we were playing very well without Adams in the lineup. Obviously he is our best player....but it allowed the other players to work the offense and do some good things.
Spartanmike15
Buckaroo

Ever since I started paying attention to Wyoming basketball this year I have honestly been looking forward to him being gone next year. He comes off to me as a Kobe style ball hog when he's on the court. Always wanting the ball instead of letting someone else get a look. I'd like to see what this team can do without him around. Seems to be some good talent but you'll never know what they're capable of until he's gone.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Spartanmike15 wrote:Ever since I started paying attention to Wyoming basketball this year I have honestly been looking forward to him being gone next year. He comes off to me as a Kobe style ball hog when he's on the court. Always wanting the ball instead of letting someone else get a look. I'd like to see what this team can do without him around. Seems to be some good talent but you'll never know what they're capable of until he's gone.

Well if I remember right you are a freshman at Wyoming this year correct and you came from San Jose? Anyways as an outsider who is new to the program I could see where you may think Josh is a ball hog but honestly after everything we lost last year and as young of a team as we have this year which is the 4th youngest in the country Josh has had to shoulder the load. We didn't have a whole lot coming back. Josh has been a great player every year here and last year when we had 4 other senior starters Josh was the best defensive perimeter player and led the team in assists and was no where a ball hog.

He has always played in the team concept that Shyatt promotes in his program and Josh averaged 13 ppg last year. Josh has always been an athletic freak and helped us win the MWC championship last year with a big shot. He isn't a ball hog , he is just doing what Shyatt has asked of him this year and now that the new guys are stepping up he doesn't have to do quite as much as he did at the beginning of the year and feel like he needs to force anything and I think he will play better.

I can assure you though Josh isn't a ball hog but he has kind of had to be this year based on the circumstances but agree now that the young guys are growing up there is other talent on this team and Josh can use them to help him out.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

Spartanmike15 wrote:Ever since I started paying attention to Wyoming basketball this year I have honestly been looking forward to him being gone next year. He comes off to me as a Kobe style ball hog when he's on the court. Always wanting the ball instead of letting someone else get a look. I'd like to see what this team can do without him around. Seems to be some good talent but you'll never know what they're capable of until he's gone.
I could see how you might see that this season as Josh has had moments of pressing too hard to make poop happen this year. He does take bad shots every now and again, but as Seattle said dudes carrying a load.However you'd only be happy to see Adams leave if you don't like UW basketball. He currently lead the team in assists by a substantial margin, which he has done the past 3 years. He's the reason these other guys are even looking as good as they do many nights. Just go back to the UNLV game were he made multiple highlight pin point assist passes. I mean this dude is a Cowboys legend straight up, one of my all time favorites. I can't let you you come on here and talk like that without saying something :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff:
Riding High!!!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Josh Adams is a team player. Spartanmike, you're way off on this one.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

You think Josh Adams is a ball hog and are looking forward to him being gone? Yikes buddy. I dread next year even more than this year. Adams will be and already is an all time great at Wyoming. He could put himself easily in the conversation for the top 5 or so guards to ever play at Wyoming really. Next year is going to be really rough without him.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

If you want to go after someone go after Barnes or Liebermann. Those two are horrid and should be buried so far on the bench they have to check in three times to touch the court.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

calpoke25 wrote:You think Josh Adams is a ball hog and are looking forward to him being gone? Yikes buddy. I dread next year even more than this year. Adams will be and already is an all time great at Wyoming. He could put himself easily in the conversation for the top 5 or so guards to ever play at Wyoming really. Next year is going to be really rough without him.
Agree with everything except your comment on next year. Yes, we lose our best player, but get everyone back with a year of experience. We also get to see Austin Conway (top ranked recruit last year and one of the top in the MWC) as well as Moemeka.

There were times last night when the team looked very good without Adams. And these youngsters still have 1/2 a season to play this year to improve and get more comfortable.

This just my opinion....but normally when you return over 90% of your team, you should expect to be better.

Go Pokes!!