Newspaper Articles for Saturday, Aug. 15

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

http://www.trib.com/articles/2009/08/15 ... 7551f9.txt
By AUSTIN WARD
Star-Tribune staff writer

Saturday, August 15, 2009 2:06 AM MDT

Dave Christensen saw almost everything he wants.

The Cowboys operated at the pace the new Wyoming coach wants, they were physical and there was no doubting the toughness.

All that was missing was Chris McNeill getting back up after showing all three traits. Though after giving UW a scare and being taken from practice in an ambulance, the freshman receiver appears to be fine.

And he made the catch as well.

"He's got feeling from head to toe, so he has no permanent loss of feeling," Christensen said. "It was precautionary, put him on the board, take him over to the hospital, get him X-rayed -- I would imagine he'll be in meetings [Friday night]. We feel pretty positive about that.

"It's always scary when a kid goes down and doesn't get right back up, and he took a big hit, got twisted around and bent his neck a little bit, but I think he's going to be fine. It was a heck of an effort, caught the ball, and he'll be good to go."

That was questionable when McNeill was laying motionless on the War Memorial Stadium turf during Friday's first scrimmage of the fall.

The highly-touted newcomer was folded by a hit from the blind side on a ball thrown behind him late in the workout, and after the training staff tended to him for about 10 minutes, an ambulance pulled out to the 25-yard line to take him in for further examination.

Word slowly filtered out to the rest of the roster that McNeill was fine, though it was a scary situation for a player who's already suffered one concussion since camp opened last week.

"I was kind of scared for him," running back Darius Terry said. "When I first saw it, I thought it had to be a neck injury, but he's got feeling in his hands and feet.

"I got everybody together as an offense and we prayed for him. Hopefully, it will be a speedy recovery."

ALL ABOUT THE BALL: A defense starved for takeaways will have plenty to feel good about.

A former offensive coordinator probably won't be as thrilled with the film.

The Cowboys had more than a few highlights offensively in their first significant live work against the defense, but their five turnovers figure to be mentioned prominently in the review sessions leading up to Tuesday's second scrimmage.

"I'm not going to be pleased until we stop turning the football over, because the bottom line is when you turn the ball over, you're not going to have a very good chance of winning," Christensen said. "We need to work on that, obviously a couple fumbles with a young guy [running back Alvester Alexander] and a couple interceptions that you can't have, so we need to work on that."

BUMPS AND BRUISES: John Fletcher's early departure was far less serious than the injury to McNeill, but it was just as frightening for a defense counting on a big senior season from the defensive end.

After intercepting a short pass by Robert Benjamin early in the scrimmage, Fletcher left with a sprained left knee shortly after and didn't return. He's expected back in the next couple days.

The timetable is a bit longer for freshman linebacker Devyn Harris -- who had UW's other interception. Harris will miss a couple weeks with an injury to his posterior cruciate ligament.
ImageImageImageImage
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

http://www.trib.com/articles/2009/08/15 ... 74a476.txt
By AUSTIN WARD
Star-Tribune staff writer

Saturday, August 15, 2009 2:06 AM MDT

Robert Benjamin still isn't making any public predictions.

But even if he won't talk about Wyoming's starting quarterback job, his legs and rocket right arm are more than making up for it.

The junior-college transfer was far from perfect in UW's first scrimmage of the fall on Friday at War Memorial Stadium, but if there was a breakout star in a surprisingly efficient 78-30 win for the offense, Benjamin was easily the one.

Whether he wanted to admit it or not.

"I just step on the field and let my ability take care of itself," Benjamin said. "I did pretty good, and you always have to expect to do good. I just come out here and try to do my best, help my team, help the offense win the game and we came out on top.

"I don't try to talk too much about it, I just go out and play, you know?"

The praise rolled in from other places though, and Benjamin's elusiveness in the pocket and accurate deep balls opened more than a few eyes.

Senior Karsten Sween managed the spread offense well, didn't turn the ball over and led a handful of productive drives, but it seemed like his grip on the starting job was beginning to slip when he wasn't on the field.

UW coach Dave Christensen likely will still take his time making a decision, but at a minimum, the race might already be down to two.

"Well, without looking at it [on film], obviously [Benjamin] possesses some play-making ability, he can do some things throwing the football, but also with his feet," Christensen said. "We'll have to evaluate the film, there's a lot that goes into it.

"... We'll see who they're playing behind, see who they're playing against, evaluate every situation, decision-making, all those things, and we'll see where we're at after we're done with that. Really all four quarterbacks are competing well, [but] they have a slight edge right now."

Benjamin's scrambling ability might eventually tilt the scales in his favor, and his 51-yard touchdown strike to Travis Burkhalter while rolling to his right was clearly the highlight of the morning.

A 38-yard run for another score on a zone-read on fourth-and-1 was a close second, though there were a few issues to work through as well.

Defensive end John Fletcher picked off a short pass early in the scrimmage, and Mitch Unrein forced a fumble later, knocking the ball out in the pocket for another turnover.

Some carelessness with the football was the only significant blemish for the offense though, and it wasn't enough to erase the excitement under center.

"I just watch, but they all look good right now," defensive end Mike Neuhaus said. "But I think [Benjamin] was my one blown assignment. I was supposed to contain him, and he sprinted outside and beat me.

"It's hard, man, he's a good athlete. He's quick, he can throw the ball, he's exciting and it's exciting to watch him play."

Nobody is willing to guess how much Benjamin might do it when the season actually starts.

But it's getting increasingly more difficult to think he won't be on the field somehow when the season opens on Sept. 5.

"I'm not really sure yet," Benjamin said. "Coach still has to evaluate the film, and I still got many more practices to go to get better.

"Hopefully by the end, we'll find out."

The Cowboys are clearly closing in on an answer, even if they won't talk about it.

Contact sports reporter Austin Ward at (307) 266-0634 or [email protected].

COWBOYS TRACKER

FRIDAY: The Wyoming offense turned in a surprisingly efficient performance and earned a 78-30 decision over the defense according to new coach Dave Christensen's scoring system for the fall's first scrimmage.

ALL ABOUT THE BENJAMIN: Incumbent starting quarterback Karsten Sween was steady and avoided turnovers, but Robert Benjamin stole the show with a flashy debut.

The junior-college transfer hooked up with Travis Burkhalter for a highlight-reel touchdown through the air and added a 38-yard scoring run of his own during an impressive start to his bid for the job.

NUMBERS GAME: The downside for Benjamin was a pair of turnovers, part of a recurring problem for the UW offense.

In all the Cowboys coughed up the football five times, though that's at least a silver lining for a defense that struggled to force turnovers a year ago.

HE SAID IT: "I don't try to talk too much about it, I just go out and play, you know?" -- Benjamin.

UP NEXT: The Cowboys return to the practice field for a pair of sessions today leading up to Tuesday's second scrimmage.
ImageImageImageImage
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

http://www.wyomingnews.com/articles/200 ... -15-09.txt
QBs Karsten Sween and Robert Benjamin painted a vivid picture of their abilities in the Pokes' scrimmage Friday.

By Robert Gagliardi
[email protected]

LARAMIE -- After the first of four scrimmages of fall camp, it appears the starting quarterback battle at the University of Wyoming is down to two.

Senior Karsten Sween and junior-college transfer Robert Benjamin shined in Friday's 128-play scrimmage at Jonah Field at War Memorial Stadium.

Sween was 12 of 16 for 122 yards with a touchdown and no interceptions. Benjamin was 12 of 17 for 178 yards with three touchdowns and an interception. He also ran for 62 yards on nine carries, including a 38-yard touchdown.

The offense beat the defense 78-30. It was scored conventionally, but also in ways where both units could add points based on plays that included first downs, plays of 20-yards or more and turnovers.

"I think all four quarterbacks are competing well," first-year coach Dave Christensen said. "(Sween and Benjamin) have a slight edge now. ... The competition is still on."

Sween and Benjamin were the only quarterbacks to take snaps with the first-team offense.

Sween's 20-yard touchdown pass over the middle to sophomore receiver Brandon Stewart came against the starting defense. Later, he threw a 27-yard scoring pass to junior David Leonard that came against the second-team defense, but it was called back because of a penalty.

All of Benjamin's scores came against the defensive reserves. He had a 24-yard scoring pass to senior tight end Orlando Arnold, and his 27-yard touchdown to junior receiver David Leonard was with the offensive starters.

Benjamin's 38-yard scoring run and 55-yard scoring pass to Burkhalter pitted backups against backups.

"Since I've been here, I've never seen the quarterbacks fling the ball like that between both of them. I was impressed," said UW junior running back Darius Terry, who led all rushers with 119 yards on 14 carries and a touchdown.

Arguably Benjamin's most impressive throw was waived off by a penalty.

He scrambled to his right and on the run hit Burkhalter for a 50-yard touchdown in the corner of the end zone. Burkhalter made a nice over-the-shoulder catch over junior safety Jamichael Hall.

"I'm not really sure yet," Benjamin said when asked to evaluate his performance. "Coaches still have to evaluate the film, and I have many more practices to go to get better. I just step on the field and let my ability take care of itself. I just go play."

Sween, who has started in 21 of 28 games over his career, thought both he and Benjamin played well but knows he must impress the coaches more with his arm, since he doesn't share Benjamin's running ability.

Sween had four carries for minus-6 yards.

"I was pleased in the sense that I think it was a good day, but I missed two throws high," Sween said. "I've got to be more accurate. If I get the job, there may not be as much running as there would be with Robert, so I've got to show we can sling the rock all over the place.

"I know that me and Robert are the only ones that have taken all the reps with the ones (so far in fall camp). I think by itself that separates us. I just want to keep myself in that bracket."

The offense rolled up 815 total yards, but also had five turnovers.

Benjamin was intercepted by senior defensive tackle John Fletcher, who used his 6-foot-6 frame to jump up and grab a short pass out to the flat.

"That was just big Fletch making a play," Benjamin said. "I couldn't do anything about that."

Benjamin later lost a fumble after he was stripped by senior defensive end Mitch Unrein.

True freshman running back Alvester Alexander lost two fumbles. True freshman quarterback Austyn Carta-Samuels was intercepted by true freshman linebacker Devyn Harris, who returned it 54 yards -- just five yards shy of a touchdown.

"I'm not going to be pleased until we stop turning the football over," Christensen said. "The bottom line is if you turn the ball over, you're not going have a very good chance at winning. There were a couple of fumbles by a young guy (Alexander), but there were a couple of interceptions out there that you can't have."

Unrein had another take on that.

"It always feels good getting turnovers, but the offense put up a lot of points against us today," he said. "Both sides are doing what they can to improve every single day. It's proven to be working right now.

"I think (Sween and Benjamin) came out here and showed everything they have. They put it on the defense. We don't like when we get it taken it to us like that, but it gives us confidence knowing they're going to be able to put points on the board."

UW practices twice today, with the first in full pads at 8:45 a.m. The next scrimmage is slated for 8:45 a.m. Tuesday.

Scary moment

Near the end of the scrimmage, true freshman receiver Chris McNeill caught a pass over the middle. The pass was behind him, and as he reached back to catch the ball, he was hit by junior linebacker Alex Toney. His head and neck were bent awkwardly.

McNeill laid on the turf for about 10 minutes and was taken off the field in an ambulance strapped to a board to keep him from moving. He was taken to Ivinson Memorial Hospital.

McNeill suffered a slight concussion and had feeling and movement in all his extremities as he was taken off the field. He was released from the hospital later in the afternoon, and coaches were hopeful he would attend meetings Friday afternoon and evening.

It's uncertain when McNeill will return to practice, but this was the second concussion he has suffered in fall camp.

SCRIMMAGE STATISTICS

Offense

Rushing

Terry 14-119, Alexander 11-91, Caraway 11-25, Davis 9-64, Benjamin 9-62, Bridgford 5-11, Easton 4-(minus-4), Sween 4-(minus-6), Cobb 3-17, Crum 3-13, Petsch 2-3, Stewart 1-6, Carta-Samuels 1-(minus-6).

Passing

Benjamin 12-17-1 178 3TD, Sween 12-16 122 1TD, Crum 5-5 43, Carta-Samuels 1-1-1 11.

Receiving

Leonard 6-75 1TD, Stewart 5-41, 1TD, Bolling 4-44, Burkhalter 3-63 1TD, Morgan 2-40, Arnold 2-34, 1TD, Terry 2-24, Salyards 2-22, McNeill 2-11, Alexander 2-8, Bolger 1-24, Easton 1-11, Caraway 1-10, Davis 1-7, Smith 1-6.

Defense

Tackles

Durbin 10, Johnson 9, Muhammad 8, Birkness 7, Toney 6, Hendricks 6, Prosinski 6, Barry 5, Knight 5, Unrein 5, Gustafson 5, James 4, J. Hall 4, Roueche 4, Studnicka 4, Biezuns 3, Purcell 3, Knapton 3, R. Hall 3, 13 players with 2, 10 players with 1.

Tackles for loss

Unrein 2-12, Knight 2-21/2, Johnson 2-31/2, Gustafson 2-61/2, 10 players with one.

Sacks

Unrein 2-12, Birkness 1-4, Gustafson 1-6.

Passes broken up

Barry 2, Toney 1, Brown 1, Browder 1

Forced fumbles

M. Gipson 1, Unrein 1

Fumble recoveries

Unrein 1, Stover 1

Interceptions

Harris 1-54
ImageImageImageImage
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 106 times

I like the fact that Benjamin has big play ability, but at this point I'd rather see Sween under center because he's taking care of the football. I know he's had a rough past couple of seasons, but we all know that he can win. If he can take care of the rock I think the Pokes will be in good shape this season in his hands.