Which wide receiver is going to step up?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
evilpoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

I know whoever's going to start at QB is the one who's going to have to step up the most this season - but what about Wide Receiver? We have a couple of veterans thrown in with a bunch of big question marks - although after last season, just about every wide receiver could be considered a question mark

David Leonard - Jr., 6-4, 197 - he's got the size ( I didn't realize he was that big) and the experience - does he have the quickness or power to break away from defenders?

Greg Bolling - Sr., 6-2, 180 - SO much was expected from him - but things never really have worked out - I wish he would have redshirted that first year. Can he pull it together after the suspension? Is it one or two games?

Zach Bolger - RJr. - 5-10, 180 - Classic diamond in the rough? If he can catch it (which it seems he can), he'll play. For those who've seen him, who does he remind you of?

Travis Burkhalter - Jr., 6-1, 191 - Found himself down on the depth chart starting fall ball, but has seemed to pick up his game - at least in the scrimmages. Attributes?

Donate Morgan - 5-11, 185 - Fast guy. Would be nice to have a deep threat in there.

Brandon Stewart - 5-11, 193 - He was the only receiver last year to have a decent season - coming back for 250 yards receiveing after missing the first six games. I'm interested to see him in space with the ball and defenders trying to tackle him.

I'm not going to mention true freshmen just yet - I hope it doesn't come to that (but I suspect it will)

Any thoughts?
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

If I remember correctly, Bolling is gone for the first 2 games, Donate for the first game only. That being said, neither one is our best WR...I give that honor to Stewart. I think Leonard is a winner as well...and we can potentially see great things from him. Also...I like Arnold playing in the WR package (he slimmed down about 30 pounds to 235) and is a big, tough, good-handed target.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
evilpoke
Ranch Hand

Wow - 235? hmmm - Too big for defensive backs - but is he too fast for linebackers?
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

Stewart and Burkhalter could play key roles in winning some games this season.
ImageImageImageImage
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

Leonard has the best hands by far of the receivers I've seen. That being said, I think Brandon Stewart will be our main weapon. Bolling has proven that he is all hype. I don't expect much out of him this season.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

I think it's going to be Leonard and Arnold. It looks like Wyoming is going to have Arnold and Salyards on the field a lot. Most teams play the spread with a nickle package. That means they usually have two linebackers and 5 db's. With that, I think our size will create mismatches. Do you roll your linebackers back to cover the tight ends in the slot? If so, that leaves a little db on Leonard. Do you bring a safety up to help cover, then you open yourself up for the deep ball. With Bolling at 6' 2", Leonard at 6'4", and both of our tight-ends about 6'5" I think it could be difficult for the defensive personell to match up.

I expect Leonard and Arnold to exploit this the most. Arnold has moves for a big guy. I think he'll chew a linebacker up in one on one coverage. Leonard, Salyards, Arnold, and Bolling have the best hands on the team, and we know how DC feels about receivers that can't catch.

I think we might end up being suprised about the effectiveness of our number one receiver combination. After that, the depth is kind of iffy, but I would expect our starters to be pretty good.
Last edited by Cowboy Junky on Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

I think we have a solid two deep once Bolling and Morgan or back. Stewart is my bet for a breakout year. Brandon, along with Leonard and Bolling make a nice starting group, with Burkhalter, Morgan, and the kid from Natrona making up the 2nd unit. If we use Arnold in the slot at time, we have some depth. I'd like to see some of the younger guys step up or maybe one of the transfer.

The key is to catch the ball, cuz someone should be open almost every play.
evilpoke
Ranch Hand

How did the tight ends catch the ball during the scrimmage? I kept hearing about the wide receivers dropping the ball - are the tight ends part of that?
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

evilpoke wrote:How did the tight ends catch the ball during the scrimmage? I kept hearing about the wide receivers dropping the ball - are the tight ends part of that?
I wasn't able to go...but the stats were:

Tooley had 3 catches for 35 yards and 1 TD
Arnold had 1 catch for 9 yards and 0 TD
Smith had 1 catch for 6 yards and 0 TD

From a total combined for all of 27 catches for 248 yards and 2 TD's.

Don't know what was up with Salyards, Genho, or Evers...also was interested in hearing about how TJ really looked, taking snaps at WR (3 catches for 17 yards).
Dear Karma,

McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote:...also was interested in hearing about how TJ really looked, taking snaps at WR (3 catches for 17 yards).
Ask and I shall recieve? Boomerang reading the WyoNation board these days? Wierd.

http://www.laramieboomerang.com/article ... 827716.txt
Dear Karma,

MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

We're a popular site! :)
ImageImageImageImage
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Been liked: 45 times

MrTitleist wrote:We're a popular site! :)
LOL Wonder how the guys on GWG feel about that? LOL :lol:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

Their site is still the #1 Wyoming site on the net, but I think we're definitely gaining ground.
ImageImageImageImage
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Been liked: 45 times

MrTitleist wrote:Their site is still the #1 Wyoming site on the net, but I think we're definitely gaining ground.
That should make them nervous. :D
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!