Strange (kind of) Texas team request of UW...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

Seems that Texas has requested to enter the War from the Southwest corner of the stadium/field, versus what is usually the Northwest corner for all visiting teams. Go figure, as that is where their fans / cheerleaders, etc., will primarily be located.

Probably has to do with fan foot-traffic, as to why visitors enter from the Northwest corner?
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
TexasFight
Buckaroo

McPeachy wrote:Seems that Texas has requested to enter the War from the Southwest corner of the stadium/field, versus what is usually the Northwest corner for all visiting teams. Go figure, as that is where their fans / cheerleaders, etc., will primarily be located.

Probably has to do with fan foot-traffic, as to why visitors enter from the Northwest corner?
We always like to come out through our own fans if possible.
tttgowyo
Ranch Hand

I would tell them no. Sorry but we need every advantage, however small. We are the home team and get to dictate where the visiting team enters and exits. :)

GO POKES!!
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

There have been other teams to do the same. I was in Western Thunder in college, and specifically remember BYU coming through that side. They didn't have the common courtesy to wait for the band to get off the field, they just ran right through the middle of us. God I hate BYU.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

You know that a tuba or trombone can be used as a weapon, right?
ImageImageImageImage
wellpoke
Ranch Hand

It actually happens quite a bit. I was also a member of Western Thunder for several years, and can remember seeing New Mexico, UNLV, and BYU at different times enter/exit that way. And if it did happen, they rarely waited for anyone, inlcuding opposing fans. I say tell the whorns to stuff it, but if UW won't do that, we need to set up a "reception line" or something on that side of the stadium.

GO POKES!
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

I think until the RAC was built all visiting teams entered from the southwest corner...
at least thats what I remember as a kid it was always hell getting out of the stadium because of the visitors exiting the field on that side
billings
Ranch Hand

I have been going to UW games since the early 70's and almost all visiting teams come in the northwest corner even before the RAC was built. I suppose this is not a first but it is unusual. I am sure Texas has scouted the stadium and made the call for whatever reason.

Now Wyo used to go into the old locker rooms by going into the center of the West stands before the RAC was built. That was interesting waiting for the visiting team to clear.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

billings wrote:I have been going to UW games since the early 70's and almost all visiting teams come in the northwest corner even before the RAC was built. I suppose this is not a first but it is unusual. I am sure Texas has scouted the stadium and made the call for whatever reason.

Now Wyo used to go into the old locker rooms by going into the center of the West stands before the RAC was built. That was interesting waiting for the visiting team to clear.
It seems like more and more often we see teams enter and leave via the southwest corner. As a kid, I remember the northwest as being the norm, but now I'd have to say it is the southwest.

Not a strange request at all.
billings
Ranch Hand

I have not been to more than one game a year for two years so did most teams came in the southwest corner the last couple of years? Was I seeing the exceptions?

I am going to the Weber game this year.
Dread_Pirate_Cowboy
Ranch Hand

For years the visitors section was in the northwest so visiting teams entered there. They moved the visitors section to the southwest 3 or 4 years ago and since then some teams enter from the NW and some enter by their fans at the SW. I suspect the NW corner is closer to their locker room so if you don't bring many fans....may as well enter there. I don't suspect it will matter much for the longhorns.....maybe they should enter from the RAC and tap Steamboat on the way in? How long do you suppose it has been since Texas played in a stadium as small as the War?
"Good?...Bad?.....I'm the guy with the Gun!" -- Ash Williams
roozy
Ranch Hand

Definitely SW as of late. I don't remember Glenn's first season as the only game I attended I was on the student side not really paying attention. But since then I remember the SW corner.
Jesus First, then football
Burt
Buckaroo

Which corner is the SW corner? The one by section H? Just trying to orient myself to your stadium.
The Virginian
Cowpoke

Burt wrote:Which corner is the SW corner? The one by section H? Just trying to orient myself to your stadium.
Section A is the southwest corner. The Longhorns will be entering the field next to where their fans are seated.
This post submitted anonymously by Jeff Fry aka DCPoke
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

I remember when I was at UW the teams entered through that corner.
ImageImageImageImage
Burt
Buckaroo

Selfishly, I think UW should make them enter through the NW corner. :)
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

My feelings are let's treat this team, their fans, and their school with respect - they have earned it and they are coming to our stadium. I'm not saying bow down to them. When the game starts, we will give them our best shot. They are respecting us by coming to our stadium. Let them come on to the field from the SW corner in front of their fans. I appreciate Texas being humble enough to come to UW - that is more than you can say for CU and many others.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
pokerupfront
Ranch Hand

WYCowboy wrote:My feelings are let's treat this team, their fans, and their school with respect - they have earned it and they are coming to our stadium. I'm not saying bow down to them. When the game starts, we will give them our best shot. They are respecting us by coming to our stadium. Let them come on to the field from the SW corner in front of their fans. I appreciate Texas being humble enough to come to UW - that is more than you can say for CU and many others.
Exactly.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

roozy wrote:Definitely SW as of late. I don't remember Glenn's first season as the only game I attended I was on the student side not really paying attention. But since then I remember the SW corner.
Maybe you have your directions mixed up, but the visiting team has been coming into the War from the NW corner of the stadium for years now. In fact, I can't remember a recent game it has been otherwise.

That being said, I don't think it really matters...other than the real reason I believe UW does it...to control the crowd from tailgate park & the visiting team entering the stadium at the same time.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
spindoctor02
WyoNation Moderator

I was a student at UW from 2001-2005 seasons, and I remember teams coming in from the SW corner of the stadium all the time.

I also remember carrying a goalpost or two out of the SW corner as well. ;)