QB "breaking" news

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
dapokes
Ranch Hand

ACS is going to be splitting reps at tomorrow's scrimmage with the 2s with Karsten.

Seems like he's still alive for playing time, probably considering the turnovers.
evilpoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

I don't want people to think I'm wishy-washy on the subject, so ...

REDSHIRT HIM.

I hate playing true freshmen.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 34 times

That's the thing, it's not Sween turning the ball over, it's Benjamin. But it'll be interesting to see what he does w/ the 2's nonetheless.
ImageImageImageImage
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

I too would be a bit tentative too throwing a true Freshman at Texas. Could be a very negative experience for him. I say go with Benjamin or Sween this season and let Austyn learn from the sidelines.
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

I disagree, I think it depends. We need to worry about getting the most wins possible this year, then worry about next year, next year. I wouldn't play him JUST so he gets more experience for next year, because that is giving up on this year. And I wouldn't redshirt him if he is the best JUST so he is still here 4 yrs from now, because that to is giving up on this year. Play the guy who gives you the best chance to beat Weber State. Then the next week, play the guy who gives you the best chance to beat Texas, etc.

ONLY if we are eliminated from postseason play and it becomes apparent that ACS would give us the best chance to win, would I consider changing that strategy. At that point I wouldn't see a reason to burn a redshirt if you KNOW you are not going bowlinG, but even then you could make the argument that the season is lost anyway, why not get him some experience. START THE GUY THAT GIVES YOU THE BEST CHANCE TO WIN YOUR NEXT GAME, WHOEVER IT IS.
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

What are the rules in football for redshirting? Does it have to be done before the season starts? Can a player have so many minutes played, then redshirted, like in basketball?
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

Adv8RU12 wrote:What are the rules in football for redshirting? Does it have to be done before the season starts? Can a player have so many minutes played, then redshirted, like in basketball?
If he steps onto the field for one play he's burned his redshirt... you may be thinking of a medical redshirt where a player can be injured before the 4th or 5th game of the year and receive a redshirt, I'm not sure, but regular freshman redshirt is burned the second he steps onto the field in a game.