UW expecting 17k - 20k for Weber...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

LAME! And how come not more purple kitty fans making the 5 hour drive?
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
cheypoke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

I agree, that is a lame attendance for the opening of a new era. But I know Labor Day is always a tough sell. Always so much going on that weekend. To be honest though, I'm almost more excited for Weber than Texas.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 50 times

This doesn't surprise me one bit. There are several factors that are driving down attendence on opening day. One is the fact that so many people are making the trip the next weekend to see the Texas game. Like it or not, many people can't afford to make back to back trips to Laramie at this time. Secondly, we are playing an FCS school. Most of the fans see Weber State and immediately dismiss the idea of attending the game. Little do they know that Weber State is a damn good football team with one hell of an explosive offense. Thirdly, we sucked last year. The casual fan isn't going to be excited about a season just because a new coach was hired and a new QB will be starting. Hell, I'd venture to guess many casual fans don't have a clue who will be the QB until they walk into the stadium and start looking at the roster when #11 takes the field at QB for us.

Wyoming has some really great fans. I'd even be willing to suggest that Wyoming probably is in the top 5 of all states as far as college football fans go. Per capita, Wyoming has a high amount of die-hard, true fans. The reality is that because of Wyoming's low population, that doesn't amount to many people overall. The only that will draw the casual fans out in droves is if we win.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

Correct assessments. I think quite a few Weber fans are probably booking trips to Fort Collins instead of Laramie as well.
ImageImageImageImage
weberwildcat
Buckaroo

We don't have a very good fan base. This is something we are working one. After 40 yrs of mediocre football teams we finally had a first place finish - or tied for it. That and very hard to compete as a FCS when we have 3 FBS all close by. Everyone thinks we are DII to make it worse. I always wonder why they don't think its odd that a DII makes it to the NCAA Tourney in basketball. lol Or maybe they think you can be DII in some and DI in others.

Our stadium holds 17,000 and we have like 3-4,000 season tkt holders. Not sure who is going or if they don't wanna go because we are playing an FBS.

I know the Wildcat Club is not going because of the holiday weekend (lame). They instead will bus to Fort Collins the next week.

So I wouldn't assume more than 500 WSU fans make it. All I know is I'll be there. I love the road games. More fun that the homes games when a bus trip is involved.
weberwildcat
Buckaroo

What is the stadium capacity?
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

Stadium capacity is about 30,000
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

WyomingAg wrote:Stadium capacity is about 30,000
The official cap is 30,514.

Used to be 33,500.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
wildkyle
Buckaroo

Alot of time it seems weber fans are more exicted about road games than home games. We have buses that go to road games including this one.
23handicap
Buckaroo

Let's put the attendance into perspective here. 20k for a game is very good considering the combined population of Laramie, Rawlins, and Cheyenne is about 75k which is about 27% of the population for a WYO home game. Now consider Fort Collins area which is around 500k which is only 4% of the combined population for a CSU home.
pokerupfront
Ranch Hand

Shutter to think of what the attendance might be later in the season if Weber comes in here and downs the Pokes.

During the Vic days, folks were elated if there were 15K at a game.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

23handicap wrote:Let's put the attendance into perspective here. 20k for a game is very good considering the combined population of Laramie, Rawlins, and Cheyenne is about 75k which is about 27% of the population for a WYO home game. Now consider Fort Collins area which is around 500k which is only 4% of the combined population for a CSU home.
I get the whole population % thing...and see your point. Wyoming does draw from Denver and Fortfart as well though...and other SE Wyoming towns (Wheatland, Torrington, etc.) & Western Nebraska. Casper is only a 2 hour drive as well. I would think, just Laramie & Cheyenne, with students, would be closer to 100K than 75K (Chey @ 60K, Laramie @35K). So maybe, within 2 hours, (excluding Denver and Fortfart) UW's demo base population is probably...what...200K+?

I think, all things not relative (like population bases) 20K attendance is poor, considering it is D1 football, and the only "game" in the state.
Dear Karma,

roozy
Ranch Hand

c'mon, 10% of the base in attendance is phenomenal. What other team, pro, college, high school, etc. draws 10% of their fan base?
Jesus First, then football
billings
Ranch Hand

actually I am hearing a number around 22K expected
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

roozy wrote:c'mon, 10% of the base in attendance is phenomenal. What other team, pro, college, high school, etc. draws 10% of their fan base?
I think we may have to agree to disagree. Attendance (as a part of total population) doens't make sense.

For instance, Knoxville Tennessee...population 190,000, game attendance 110,000 (60%).

Or how about Gainsville with a population of 115,000...or Tallahassee with a population of 170,000...or Auburn with a population of 60,000...or Pullman (Washington) with a population of 25,000...or SLC with 200,000...or even FCS Missoula with 100,000. And the list goes on and on.
Dear Karma,

roozy
Ranch Hand

McPeachy wrote:
roozy wrote:c'mon, 10% of the base in attendance is phenomenal. What other team, pro, college, high school, etc. draws 10% of their fan base?
I think we may have to agree to disagree. Attendance (as a part of total population) doens't make sense.

For instance, Knoxville Tennessee...population 190,000, game attendance 110,000 (60%).

Or how about Gainsville with a population of 115,000...or Tallahassee with a population of 170,000...or Auburn with a population of 60,000...or Pullman (Washington) with a population of 25,000...or SLC with 200,000...or even FCS Missoula with 100,000. And the list goes on and on.
Ok, then Laramie with a population of 25,000 and attendance of 20,000-25,000. You have to compare apples to apples. We're talking fan base, not just the population of the college city.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

roozy wrote:Ok, then Laramie with a population of 25,000 and attendance of 20,000-25,000. You have to compare apples to apples. We're talking fan base, not just the population of the college city.
Laramie, with students, is closer to 40K than 25K...not that it means much...but 20K of 40K is 50%, still which is considerably worse than a lot of places...

I ain't gonna win this debate, nor do I care that much, but 20K to watch D1 football sucks ass regardless the population density, weather, elk, opponent, holiday, etc.
Dear Karma,

roozy
Ranch Hand

Yea McPeachy, I really don't think it's a winnable debate for either of us as we both have our opinions and neither is really wrong. We live in low population area of the country (which has phenomenal benefits for so many other things) and that has a drawback for event attendance. Because of that, my opinion is that 20,000 is acceptable attendance, 25,000 good and more is great.

I understand all of the attendance ramifications, and if DC kick starts this football machine in Laramie, attendance will take care of itself.

What I'm sure we can agree on is that we want to see the Pokes win tomorrow and win big against this team, no matter what the attendance.

Go Pokes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
PokeNer
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

McPeachy wrote:
roozy wrote:Ok, then Laramie with a population of 25,000 and attendance of 20,000-25,000. You have to compare apples to apples. We're talking fan base, not just the population of the college city.
Laramie, with students, is closer to 40K than 25K...not that it means much...but 20K of 40K is 50%, still which is considerably worse than a lot of places...

I ain't gonna win this debate, nor do I care that much, but 20K to watch D1 football sucks ass regardless the population density, weather, elk, opponent, holiday, etc.
Actually, I think the 27,000+ that is on the population sign includes students. Full-time Laramie residents number around 18,000 or so. There is no way Laramie is 40,000+, even when the students are here. Not that it matters much. I think 22,000 is a decent number considering it is Weber State (half the people I have talked to lately think they are D2 or lower), it's Labor Day, and the Pokes have been consistent losers for several years. I'll take it for now; when DC gets the Pokes back on track we'll have our sellouts even for poop teams like Weber.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I think the best example of a small town that can draw a big crowd is Clemson

Clemson, SC population: 11,939

Memorial Stadium Capacity(Death Valley): 86,092
I'm good for 3!