So let's talk

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
TexasFight
Buckaroo

And I don't mean talking about the fans/tickets/stadium anymore. Let's talk more about the game and the matchup.

I'll go ahead and start. What kind of depth do you guys have? Is the plan to play both of those QB's again? Are there any highlights of the WSU game posted anywhere?

Let me know if you want to know anything about the team or whatever. Here a few highlights from the ULM game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gBLVHRFe7Y
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

The biggest problem for the Pokes will be the speed of the Longhorns, in my opinion, even when Texas starts putting in the second string. If the Poke defense is on the field a long time, things will really get bad in the secondary later in the game. Since the Poke defensive line rarely got to the Weber State QB, I expect Texas will have its way in the passing game.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

It's hard to talk about player matchups because Texas is on paper superior across the board. I worry most about their pass rush against our O-Line and our secondary against their pass game.
Unfortunately i think this game is completely in Texas' hands to decide. As hard as Wyoming may try, if Texas comes out focused, prepared and ready to take care of business they won't have a problem and it should be a business-like trip.
BUT if texas comes out with a lack of focus and is unprepared, then things can get interesting. I think its very difficult for big schools to come to Laramie and play. Its such a unique setting that it can be difficult for them to comprehend. Players have told me that when they were playing the big AQ schools in Laramie, they always seemed to just be like "Where the hell are we?" and Wyoming could punch them in the nose and win the game.
So I think this game comes down to Texas' focus and preparedness. If they aren't ready or are thrown off their game by playing in Laramie, Wyoming it can be interesting.
Unfortunately I think BYU's win will have erased some of the chances of that happening because now Mack can point to something legit to his players and say "look, if you aren't ready a MWC school will beat you."
TexasFight
Buckaroo

I agree with you calpoke. Looking at it objectively, Texas should win by 3 TD's imo. But like you said if we come unprepared like you said, it could be a different game. A few years ago this was a big concern, we liked to play down to our oppenents. I don't think that'll happen this year though.

The thing about our first game was that most of us don't think we played that great, but was 2 minutes away from covering the spread of 40 points. We had 3 turnovers, which was rare if we had that many in three games last year. But it was just the first game,lots to approve on.

A few interesting notes: right before the game our #2 WR, backup Sr CB and "co-starter" Saftey were suspended for academics and they haven't said yet if they will bemaking the trip this weekend. Luckily for us, WR and DB are our two deepest positions.
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

After watching the highlights I wouldn't be surprised at all if Texas returns a kickoff for a touchdown. A Texas strength vs a Wyoming weakness = OUCH!
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

TexasFight wrote:I agree with you calpoke. Looking at it objectively, Texas should win by 3 TD's imo. But like you said if we come unprepared like you said, it could be a different game. A few years ago this was a big concern, we liked to play down to our oppenents. I don't think that'll happen this year though.

The thing about our first game was that most of us don't think we played that great, but was 2 minutes away from covering the spread of 40 points. We had 3 turnovers, which was rare if we had that many in three games last year. But it was just the first game,lots to approve on.

A few interesting notes: right before the game our #2 WR, backup Sr CB and "co-starter" Saftey were suspended for academics and they haven't said yet if they will bemaking the trip this weekend. Luckily for us, WR and DB are our two deepest positions.
It will be interesting to see how prepared Texas is. If they are I think you roll us by at least 3 TD's. From a Texas point of view, I would hope to come out and put the smackdown on Wyo and be up at least 3 TD's at halftime. If they don't and they let Wyoming hang in there and the players start believing they might win, a lot of weird things can happen on the high plains at 7200 ft....
My gut tells me its going to be close the 1st Quarter, with Wyoming hanging tough and texas up by only a TD or so. Then in the 2nd I see a couple McCoy-Shipley bombs to open it up and then in the 2nd half I see Wyo scoring a couple times to make it respectable, something like 49-24.
I'm just hoping all the Texas players are saying hahahaha look at stupid OU losing to a MWC team, that will never happen to us....
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

We return one WR from suspension this week, correct?
ImageImageImageImage
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

Morgan we get back, but I don't think he was much of a difference maker in camp.
TexasFight
Buckaroo

The kid that returned the kick, that was his first play ever in college. We have about 4 different guys returning kicks. One of them had a triple jump mark last year that would have won the Big 12. He was in high school.

Is your kicker having distance problems or just bad coverage? Specaial teams is always an X factor. We are usually average in returns, but excellent in blocking kicks and punts.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

We have been having a combination of both the last few years, and it seems like its still going on. Kicks that land at about the 10 yard line and poor coverage, which is another thing that worries me vs. Texas. You would think we would boot it out of the endzone every time at 7200 ft. elevation but we don't.
dapokes
Ranch Hand

Go here and look thru the video archive on the front page to find the Wyo/Weber St breakdown and analysis: http://www.themtn.tv/pages/main

I've got a 4:1 odds $50 dollar bet with my friend who goes to school out in Boston. We'll see what happens, last time he bet me...it was on the Pats/Giants Superbowl. He lost.
TexasFight
Buckaroo

We're going to be without a starting LB and a starting OLineman, who got hurt Saturday. So we are already out 5 solid contributors. And that doesn't include our 1st, 2nd AND 3rd string TE's that were lost for the season a month ago. Ugh.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 51 times

I would give serious thought to squibbing every single kick-off. Too many teams wait until after there is already a kick returned for a TD before they start squibbing the kick-offs. On a side note, if I'm Dave Christensen, I'm kicking an onside kick to open the game. Line up in a normal formation, but go for the onside kick. What do we have to lose? If we recover and punch in a TD, who knows what might happen.

Our secondary is very, very weak. We absolutely have to find a way to get pressure on McCoy or our secondary is going to get owned. The only time we should be in man is when UT is inside our 10 yard line. The thought of watching the Gipson brothers chase these receivers around is sickening. Hell, we would be better off putting Benjamin out there at CB :D .
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

I like the idea of squibbing it also, I think until the kick coverage gets cleaned up we need to be doing that.
dapokes
Ranch Hand

Just watched the Texas press conference...

The players talked more about how nice the weather is going to be more than the actual game. They can enjoy the weather all they want, I'll take the win. I personally hope it snows.
ShipleyIsSexy
Buckaroo

I don't agree with the squib kick mentality against us. Yeah, DJ had a nice run back, but you have a bunch of young guys returning kicks for us and while DJ has speed, he hasn't yet proved himself to be a weapon every week. Giving Colt McCoy any sort of field position is trouble.

I worry about things like altitude more than I should so thats my main concern. I do not ever worry about this team being fired up for a game . Colt is a leader and will make sure that doesn't happen. Tech was a misnomer.

I hate games this far away from Texas. So, I'll say a little prayer and hook'em.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 51 times

the deed wrote:I don't agree with the squib kick mentality against us. Yeah, DJ had a nice run back, but you have a bunch of young guys returning kicks for us and while DJ has speed, he hasn't yet proved himself to be a weapon every week. Giving Colt McCoy any sort of field position is trouble.

I worry about things like altitude more than I should so thats my main concern. I do not ever worry about this team being fired up for a game . Colt is a leader and will make sure that doesn't happen. Tech was a misnomer.

I hate games this far away from Texas. So, I'll say a little prayer and hook'em.
You are obviously unfamiliar with our special teams play recently. It was not uncommon to see returns out to the 40 yard line all of last year. As soon as we would score a touchdown or field goal, all I did was hold my breath until our D got onto the field. Hell, I'd be in favor of kicking that sucker straight out of bounce before I let Texas' returners touch the ball. Weber State made our kickoff coverage look unathletic. That can't be a good sign.
TexasFight
Buckaroo

Here are some better highlights of the ULM game.

http://videos.utexasclan.com/view.php?id=7201
cheypoke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

I'm worried about 2 specific aspects of the game that could be disasterous for the Pokes. First, thePokes ability or lack there of to get good pressure on the QB. I dont think they'll get anywhere near Colt and that in turn will make it easy for him to find receivers. I think we'll do decent against the run, but it wont matter.

Second, the kick offs. The Pokes inability to get the ball to the endzone on the kick will kill them this week. The coverage is still bad and, mark my words, will result in a run back by Texas this week.
evilpoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

cheypoke wrote:I'm worried about 2 specific aspects of the game that could be disasterous for the Pokes. First, thePokes ability or lack there of to get good pressure on the QB. I dont think they'll get anywhere near Colt and that in turn will make it easy for him to find receivers. I think we'll do decent against the run, but it wont matter.

Second, the kick offs. The Pokes inability to get the ball to the endzone on the kick will kill them this week. The coverage is still bad and, mark my words, will result in a run back by Texas this week.
If there's one place where I feel moderately ok is our front 7. Everywhere else could be a complete disaster because of Texas' speed.