Wyoming @ Air Force Thread

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Air Force is currently beating CSU 21-7 in the second. I think our defense is better against this type of team but for now we need to worry about our offense more then anything else. Air Force beat UW last year, time to repay the favor
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 35 times

haha.. holy getting a head start! Nice!
ImageImageImageImage
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

MrTitleist wrote:haha.. holy getting a head start! Nice!
I don't think anyone wants to talk about what happened today. Time to move on anyway.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 49 times

J-Rod wrote:
MrTitleist wrote:haha.. holy getting a head start! Nice!
I don't think anyone wants to talk about what happened today. Time to move on anyway.
GOOD idea. Today was a nightmare.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
tttgowyo
Ranch Hand

My prediction...

WYO - 13
AFA - 24

PLEASE prove me wrong ..

GO POKES!!
WyoCow85
Buckaroo

New Mexico did what I expected TCU to do, and also what Boise St. did. They stacked the box and said, "If Sween can beat us, so be it, but Moore and Seldon will not". There is no reason why we can't win those games. Sween has the arm and the poise to stand back there, and he has the Wr's as well. Our play calling is just too damn predictable! The zone read is worthless when Sween NEVER makes the read to keep it himself, and he's not an option QB, he's a pro style QB. I think this offense will come alive, eventually. They are very young for the most part, and Sween is still finding himself as a QB, but I just hope its soon. I know people get mad about harping on the OC, but the defense is proof of how big a difference coaching makes. They are so sound and always in position. They are NOT the 8th most talented defense in the country, but they make up for it. We need that on offense. There have been glimpes this year that I never saw last season. Virginia was an excellent game plan, but then again Virginia didn't have film of it. Our offense can run against anyone in my opinion, but the gameplan must be creative. I really wish we would use more play action. I dont know if Sween is the concern there or what, but if our running game can't set up the pass when they put 250 yards up, maybe it can set up the play action pass?
Wyoming 20
Air Force 16
This is a big game. Loose and things will feel like they are unraveling, win and your 5-2(2-1) and a half a game ahead of AFA and are looking at UNLV and SDSU up next...
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Predictable is right. That is why there is relative success in first few games. Then the opposing coaches review the films and become as good at predicting what the Pokes are going to do as the fans who watch them in every game. Cockhill sort of reminds me of Koenig, who, I believe, thought that the players were too dumb to learn more than a couple of plays. And Koenig had no adventure at all - I still have the post card he sent me (after I wrote him saying I never saw him run a reverse) that he did try a reverse once against CSU and it failed - proving that reverses don't work.

Unless the opposing defenses get new looks every week from the Pokes, there are rough times ahead. A possible high scoring game which AFA should come out on top because they have more firepower and offensive schemes, not just the triple option of the past which the Pokes did fairly well against.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 35 times

Adv8RU12 wrote:And Koenig had no adventure at all - I still have the post card he sent me (after I wrote him saying I never saw him run a reverse) that he did try a reverse once against CSU and it failed - proving that reverses don't work.
Did you actually anger Koenning that bad that he wrote you a post card? LOL.

I think this UW/AFA matchup should be an exciting one.. if I wasn't a Cowboy fan, I'd be a Falcon fan.. something always drew me to that school. Maybe it's the flying thing. Regardless, if the Pokes can put together a couple long drives with plenty of rushing attack, I think they stand a real good chance. The running game just has to get off the ground and run though. Putting Sween in the position to have to make plays isn't the right option right now.
ImageImageImageImage
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict

MrTitleist wrote: Did you actually anger Koenning that bad that he wrote you a post card? LOL.
Actually I wrote to the AD complaining about how dull Poke football was (not to mention losing almost every game). I said I could put up with the losing if the game was exciting, like running reverses. The AD must have passed the letter on to Koennig. In Koennig's reply he said he did not go for "trick plays", one of which was apparently a reverse. I guess no one told him the object of an offensive play is to fool the defense - otherwise just tell them what you are going to run.

Also he must not have read about the history of football. In the early 1900's a forward pass was considered a "trick play".

At least Vic could be pointed to as a textbook example of the Peter Principle. He shoulda stayed as a defensive coordinator - at which he was pretty good - instead of being elevated to his level of incompetence.
Kansan Cowboy!
Ranch Hand

Well, Wyo O screwed my prediction last week. New Mexico was four points off. Prediction for AFA game. Wyo struggles with the option for a quarter, and then a quarter with the pass. But, WYO's Off. shows up today. Wyo wins 31-27.
tttgowyo
Ranch Hand

We are up, but two early turnovers scare me... We can't keep the rock.. aarrggh

GO POKES!!
tttgowyo
Ranch Hand

Make that 3 t.o.'s #$%^

GO POKES!!
tttgowyo
Ranch Hand

NICE KICK BILLY!!!! 57 yds... COWBOYS LEAD @ HALF..

I hope that I don't have to vote for a kicker for POTW again... :)

GO POKES!!
tttgowyo
Ranch Hand

THE REFS SUCKED SOOOOO BAD IN THIS GAME WE GOT SCREWED. WE DIDN'T HELP OURSELVES BY OUR CRAPPY QB THROWING SO MANY TERRIBLE PASSES AND A FUMBLE FROM SELDON, BUT MAN THERE WERE TWO CRUCIAL BAD CALLS THAT WILL COST US THIS GAME. GREAT JOB D, TOO BAD OUR QB HAS TO KEEP GIVING THE BALL BACK TO THE OTHER TEAM.

GO POKES!!
tttgowyo
Ranch Hand

tttgowyo wrote:My prediction...

WYO - 13
AFA - 24

PLEASE prove me wrong ..
Damn, so close... Oh well, maybe we can beat UNLV at home and SDSU... maybe. PLEASE don't let Sween pass anymore. Let's go to a 3 back set up and just run every play. :)

GO POKES!!
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict

My analysis: AF has a great running back (Hall). The AF offensive coach has designed the offense to take advantage of this. Wyo has two great running backs. The Wyo offensive coach has not designed the offense to take advantage of this. You saw the result.

And it is perfectly clear now that, no matter how strong Sween's arm may be purported to be, he is not a long passer because he apparently has tunnel vision.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Sween needs to be benched. PERIOD!!!!! He lost UW the game today, him, all by himself.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 49 times

J-Rod wrote:Sween needs to be benched. PERIOD!!!!! He lost UW the game today, him, all by himself.
Fortuaten;y Glenn benched him for next week's game in favor of Hetrick (sp?).
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
tttgowyo
Ranch Hand

We need to hurry and focus on recruiting a QB for next year. Too bad we will be losing a bunch of good players before that happens.

GO POKES!!
dapokes
Ranch Hand

We don't need to hurry to recruit a QB...it would help tho. We have a good qb that we're grooming right now in Chris Stutzriem..he was the first recruit to show up right after graduation. He's a big boy in 6'4 220+lbs..hands down has the biggest arm on our roster...the guy has a cannon..when watching his h.s. highlights he reminds me of a taller Brett Farve. He showed very good promise during summer drills. Since Glenn wants to groom him..and Doss and Hetrick were returning, he was redshirted. I find us very fortunate to have been so dedicated to Recruiting him in his Junior year of playing for Lawton HS, Oklahoma...because he comitted before his senior season began(where he tore it up and got many more looks from other schools). I'm not just blowing smoke at you guys.. he was literally begged by Oklahoma State's coach to come play for them. He even got a visit from OKSU's coach in the middle of one of his classes and got crap from everyone in his h.s. for coming here instead of Oklahoma St.
This kid wants to be here..I like him challenging for playing time in spring drills if Sween doesn't get his act together.