Disgusting

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
billings
Ranch Hand

bladerunnr wrote:Silliest post ever. Corvalis is just 40 miles from Eugene. The weather is great. The town is small but it's only an hour from Portland. What a moronic comparison!
pffttt I guess if you like rain for 6 months of the year. I can tell you recruits did not like the rain when they were losing. They were the underdogs forever in the PAC 10 for resources and athletes. Their fans complained the weather would never let them compete against USC, CAL, Stanford, and UCLA.

We are what 65 miles from Fort Collins? -- comparable to Eugene? I think so
We are 144 miles from Denver? not that different than Corvallis to Portland

I think some of you think Laramie is in Siberia

Strangely enough OSU was very good in BB back then and they tried your advice of focusing on BB and forget Football for awhile. Then BB fell off the cliff and FB has begun to be fun there again since Erickson rebuilt the program
Last edited by billings on Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

Your right, we haven't performed well in the MWC since its inception. We have had 4 coaches during our time here. I would call it a mixture of bad luck and bad choices by the Wyoming Athletics Department.

Joe Glenn didn't win a bowl game in 2004 with his own team. Much of it was left over from the former coach. Once he had his own players fully recruited, we were loosing much more than we were winning. It is too bad, I really liked Joe Glenn and his staff, like most of Wyoming's fan's. We knew by 2007 that we weren't winning. We give him an extra year and let him go.

With the new coaching staff in town, we have lost to two Big 12 teams in his first year. I'd much rather lost to CU and Texas than to have scheduled some FCS teams and won. With these losses, we can look back at the game and criticize ourselves. "We need to be better coached here; we need better talent here; don't do this and that, and we did really great here." I bet we aren't looking back over the Weber State footage and criticizing ourselves. A loss is a loss, and a win is a win. But the losses sure teach us much more and we have a coaching staff with a proven FBS track record who is watching this and will put the program on the right path.

Changing conferences, dropping divisions, or doing anything else that undercuts our goals of MWC championships seems like the easy way out. We've set our goals of Bowl Games and conference championships; we've put the coaching staff in place to do it; now it is time to let them do their jobs and achieve the goals that have been set. I hate to say it, but now we must have patience, positive attitudes, and give our support to the team. Being negative against our team in the next year or two isn't going to be constructive by any means. They need our support now more than ever.

Now on to a much tougher battle. You bring up a valid point about Laramie not changing much in the last 20 years. I think it is time for the residents of Laramie to rethink the small town atmosphere and put together a plan to grow it. I'm not talking about 100,000 residents, but I think Laramie could be considerably more attractive at 40-60K residents. That is small enough to be considered a small town, but large enough to attract more of the bigger city businesses. I think I'll save this rant for some other time.
COS Cowboy
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Disgusting is right! We get a beatdown in a game we should have won, and you guys want to drop down to FCS or the WAC? That's disgusting all right, you all should be ashamed of yourselves. It was one game! The sky isn't falling. CU had their back against the wall, they had to win this one. We on the other hand had just played the #2 team in the country in what was being billed as the biggest game in our history. We had a letdown. Those happen every week all over college football. Did anyone check the score in Provo this weekend? I haven't been on their boards this morning, but I'd bet they're just as disgusted in their team. Are they ready to drop a division? Doubt it.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

It was disappointing that BYU and Utah lost.. kinda made the MWC irrelevent this year as far as BCS bowl bids go, unless TCU can somehow go undefeated.
ImageImageImageImage
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

I question if "WyomingProud" is really a UW fan, he just joined this board Saturday and smells of a rival fan trying to bring down WyoNation. "WyomingProud" shouldn't you be happy your Rebels won on Saturday instead of trying to bring us Wyoming fans down?
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

I'm not saying we should have won this game. I'm much more concerned with how we lost. Texas, just by their sheer size and speed, kept us from doing certain things. I felt like we looked totally inept against CU. Poor passing, dropped balls, missed blocks,...etc.. It reminded me too much of recent years. Perhaps I expected too much. But I don't think it's too much to expect more than 2 or 3 first downs in the first half against a team that gave up 600 yards of offense last week!

Let's put it behind us. I will not write another negative post on this board for the rest of the season. We all want a winner. Some of us (like myself) are more fed up than others and start posting before we've had a chance to cool down.
steelbed58
Buckaroo

Look, ask any top notch recruit if they would rather play Texas and CU and get beat pretty good or beat Weber St. They want to perform on a big stage. DC and the program are on the right track, they will bring talent in here because of the system. Once a bonafide QB is in with at least 1 WR they will flock here to catch 70 to 80 balls a season. I'm telling you right now, BYU has a QB coming in who is the top ranked QB on Rivals. Ask anyone who has been to the camp where your recruit, CJ Bennett competed head to head with Heaps. Bennett won easy, don't care about what Rivals said or pumped up Heaps, they have to justify the kid. I was there and saw it. I also know you have a legitimate shot at a WR from NC who is a low 4.4 kid, who will take an official visit here. There is also some great talent from Florida that you have offered and they are seriously considering it. Thank god only coaches go on these blogs and not recruits, your doomsday attitudes would scare anyone away. You guys are in a major conference playing against a powerhouse schedule, with an up and coming staff, enjoy the ride just stop asking are we there yet!

Yeah I coach in Florida. Follow recruiting religiously, know all the talent evaluators and been to camps all over the country. You guys will be alright.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Good post - thanks for the info.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Fullback41 wrote:I question if "WyomingProud" is really a UW fan, he just joined this board Saturday and smells of a rival fan trying to bring down WyoNation. "WyomingProud" shouldn't you be happy your Rebels won on Saturday instead of trying to bring us Wyoming fans down?
Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner.

It isn't even really worth discussing, but since there are some real Wyoming fans debating the topic on this thread, here are a few points:

1. Dropping to FCS will destroy the Men's and Women's Basketball programs as well as the football program. I noticed a couple of posts saying we should focus on Basketball. That's fine (I actually agree to a point, I believe our ceiling is much higher in hoops and that the program has not been properly supported), however in the same post they argue we should drop to the Big Sky. Those two things don't go together. Ask Coach Schroyer what it is like to try to develop a nationally relevant program in the Big Sky. No offense to Mr. Titleist but the Big Sky is a one-bid league routinely finishing in the 20's in conference RPI. The travel is very difficult and only a couple of programs have even a glimmer of fan support. There are few recruiting hotbeds to play in (Sacto and PDX is about it) and very little name recognition among opponents.

2. Dropping to FCS will cause a severe reduction in sports offered and in the number of scholarships available to student athletes. FB schollies drop from 85 to 63 for starters, but that is just the beginning. Due to a massive decline in revenue (say goodbye to NCAA tournament credit revenue, media contract revenue, conference tournament revenue, ticket sales, merchandise, contributions, etc.) there will be additional non-revenue sports dropped. Due to the reduction in 22 Men's schollies from football, the department will be able to drop a corresponding number of Women's scholarship players. Depending on what the Big Sky requires for sports it is likely that UW would drop Women's Tennis, Women's Golf, and maybe 1 or 2 more sports. We would drop down to the absolute bare minimum required to be Division 1. We would have no choice as we would no longer have the revenue to support the program.

3. We have been playing at the highest level of collegiate athletics since the 1930's. We aren't going back. Sorry to BYU fans that wish we would so it would validate their sense of superiority, but it isn't going to happen and those that want it to happen will be sorely dissapointed.

4. In regards to competitiveness, we are competitive at the D-1A level. Are we good? No. Are we competitive. Yes. Non-competitive would be NMSU, Idaho, Kent. ST. Over the last 5+ years we have 5 victories over teams from the so-called "AQ Leagues". That is more wins that 2/3 of the WAC schools....combined. Ditto for CUSA and MAC. You have to take the bottom 6-8 teams in those leagues combined to find that many AQ victories. We have struggled in conference and have performed similar to UNLV and SDSU. I would argue we have been more successful than each of them due to our OOC performance although conference play has been roughly equal (Pokes have won 4 of 5 against the Rebels FWIW). Las Vegas and San Diego have huge populations and great weather (well, SD does anyway, Vegas depends on your tolerance for heat I suppose) and yet we have outperformed them. Keep in mind these are not exactly our glory years and we have still managed to be competitive.

5. We have the financial resources to compete at the D-1 A level. Our athletic budget is higher than CSU's and larger than most MAC and WAC schools (Boise, Fresno, Hawaii being the exceptions). We have recently and are in the process of investing tens of millions of dollars in capital improvements to athletic department facilities. I guarantee you we are on par with many of our MWC peers (not all) in facilities at this point.

This is the most ridiculous argument I have ever heard. So Dave Christensen goes 1-2 to start his Wyoming career and we should drop down a level or drop the athletics department entirely?

I am as frustrated as the next guy regarding the failures of the Wyoming athletic department, but I can assure you that the problems won't go away just by dropping a level. Our location doesn't get any more desirable and our leadership does not automatically become more competent. In fact just the opposite, their weaknesses will be exposed as they will handcuffed financially in trying to build a competitive program.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

Fullback41 wrote:I question if "WyomingProud" is really a UW fan, he just joined this board Saturday and smells of a rival fan trying to bring down WyoNation. "WyomingProud" shouldn't you be happy your Rebels won on Saturday instead of trying to bring us Wyoming fans down?
I am with you there brotha. I am as frustrated as any fan. Yes we sucked ass Saturday, and it is tough being a UW fan the past 10 or so years...but things will change. And if they stay the same, we will still have a victory over bWHYu here and there (and CSewe, TCU, Utard, UCLA, Tennessee, Ole Miss, Vaginia, etc., etc.)...to keep me coming back.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
pokerupfront
Ranch Hand

Said this before, with some pretty homey responses- This is gonna be a long year.

Yes, it was nice and fuzzy to respond, yeah, because we are going to a Bowl Game, or yeah, clear into November with a showdown with CSU to close out the season....

Reality has arrived.

No way a brand new coaching staff is going to right the ship in their first season, that is just silly pipe dreaming. Wyoming bought into the DC administration, and now we must allow him time to develop HIS team, minimum of four more years.

Yes, Wyoming has facilities to be proud of, and for now, the money to spend on the program. But so does all our competition, except all of them are located in bigger cities, bigger markets, and for the most part, better climates. Not much we can do about those advantages. Gotta look at what a recruit sees when he visits Laramie versus say, UNLV. Talking kids here, high school aged recruits. :|

This is a tough job for anybody, a potential career stopper. Joe Glenn had nothing but success and accolades everywhere he has been including Laramie, until two years ago. Let's say that Dave does indeed turn this around in two or three years, how long will he stay on this job? History says not for long.

Should we drop down? No, what a disaster that would be, although it would be a lot better for Wyoming residents who want to play college football, and not so good for Chadron State, Black Hills State and Caroll College. I can't see this happening.

Basically, the MWC has moved beyond and above the old WAC, and the competition is furious. Don't ask me what the fix is, I don't have a clue.

Hope DC manages a couple wins yet this season, but I really don't expect to see it. Damn, it would be tough to be a Junior or Senior on this squad.

:(
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

billings wrote:
bladerunnr wrote:Silliest post ever. Corvalis is just 40 miles from Eugene. The weather is great. The town is small but it's only an hour from Portland. What a moronic comparison!
pffttt I guess if you like rain for 6 months of the year. I can tell you recruits did not like the rain when they were losing. They were the underdogs forever in the PAC 10 for resources and athletes. Their fans complained the weather would never let them compete against USC, CAL, Stanford, and UCLA.

We are what 65 miles from Fort Collins? -- comparable to Eugene? I think so
We are 144 miles from Denver? not that different than Corvallis to Portland

I think some of you think Laramie is in Siberia

Strangely enough OSU was very good in BB back then and they tried your advice of focusing on BB and forget Football for awhile. Then BB fell off the cliff and FB has begun to be fun there again since Erickson rebuilt the program
No crap. I love when so-called Wyoming go out of their way to paint Wyoming as a bad place. With fans like we have, who needs enemies.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

pokerupfront wrote:Said this before, with some pretty homey responses- This is gonna be a long year.
This is a tough job for anybody, a potential career stopper. Joe Glenn had nothing but success and accolades everywhere he has been including Laramie, until two years ago. Let's say that Dave does indeed turn this around in two or three years, how long will he stay on this job? History says not for long.
Dude, do some freaking research before making statements like this. Wyoming has been the springboard for some of the best and most well known coaches in both college and pro ball. The last two coaches failed, but don't make Wyoming out to be a coaching graveyard.

We've played 3 freaking games under DC and people are already saying the sky is falling. I'm thinking the sky is always falling in your world if that is the way you think.

GO Pokes!!
pokerupfront
Ranch Hand

JimmyDimes wrote:
pokerupfront wrote:Said this before, with some pretty homey responses- This is gonna be a long year.
Dude, do some freaking research before making statements like this. Wyoming has been the springboard for some of the best and most well known coaches in both college and pro ball. The last two coaches failed, but don't make Wyoming out to be a coaching graveyard.

We've played 3 freaking games under DC and people are already saying the sky is falling. I'm thinking the sky is always falling in your world if that is the way you think.

GO Pokes!!
Dude, don't call me dude. 8-)

You missed my point entirely. Two things happen to Wyoming coaches, they get fired, or move on, either way in a short amount of time. So where does that leave us fans?? :?

I predicted "a long season" prior to the first game, and never said the sky was falling, it has already fell. Pull your head out, take in some fresh air, and put away your defenses, my take on the situation is based on REALITY, not homerism, fanaticism, or wishful thinking.

Next time, before wigging out on one of my par excellent posts, read it carefully, comprehend, and think.

:thumb:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 106 times

WyomingProud wrote: CSU- 2-8
BYU- 2-8
Utah- 2-8
AF- 4-6
Since when are Utah and Air Force our rivals? Sure, they're conference foes, but the only rival we've had other than CSU and BYU was Hawai'i, and that was only a rivalry because of the traveling trophy.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Been liked: 45 times

WYO1016 wrote:
WyomingProud wrote: CSU- 2-8
BYU- 2-8
Utah- 2-8
AF- 4-6
Since when are Utah and Air Force our rivals? Sure, they're conference foes, but the only rival we've had other than CSU and BYU was Hawai'i, and that was only a rivalry because of the traveling trophy.
Ah....the Paniolo Trophy. We won the last 5 games in the series. Four were complete blowouts!!!

Still drive my friends in Hawaii nutz about that. Then they say this....."but we went 12-0 in 2007 and went to the Sugar Bowl." Yeah but....you all got your ASSES handed to ya by Georgia. :roll:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
pokerupfront
Ranch Hand

They were the rainbow heads back then. I was at a UW/UH game about fifteen years ago that was 50-0 UW by halftime. :lol: :lol: :lol:
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

pokerupfront wrote:Next time, before wigging out on one of my par excellent posts, read it carefully, comprehend, and think.

:thumb:

Oh jeez.

ImageImageImageImage
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Been liked: 45 times

pokerupfront wrote:Image

They were the rainbow heads back then. I was at a UW/UH game about fifteen years ago that was 50-0 UW by halftime. :lol: :lol: :lol:
That must have been the 1996 game (won 66-0).

They were the Rainbow Warriors up until 2001 in which they dropped the Rainbow part but that was only for the football program. The rest are still Rainbow Warriors ansd Rainbow Wahine (Hawaiian for women).
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
WyomingProud
Buckaroo

Folks...everyone has good points with the exception of calling out someone's dedication to the team simply because they don't wear rose colored glasses and accept the same lines that have been used for the last 7+ years as to why the team is playing like they are. I'm not going to challenge anyone's loyalty to the Cowboys just because they have a different view than mine--with that I suggest we just agree to disagree and pull for our team albeit in different ways!!!!

The problem I have with the argument that we need to be patient and such is that we heard it with Vic, we heard it with Cowboy Joe and now we are hearing it with Dave. I don't know about any of you, but I am seeing a trend--and not a very good trend. The landscape of college football has changed so drastically since the last time Wyoming was considered a real player in the conference or nationally. Money drives everything now. Yes, Wyoming is investing in the future and I think this is great...but I just spent part of the weekend marching inside Rice Eccles stadium in SLC (I'm in the Air National Guard) and that stadium is very impressive and I can tell you that the War has a long ways to go. Add the "small town" atmosphere to Laramie and it is easy to understand why Wyoming will have a very hard time recruiting the kind of talent that is needed to compete. Yes, Wyoming has always had to outcoach and outplay other schools because we have always had less "talent". Perhaps we will win again like we use to. But I will always believe that Wyoming is a better "fit" in the WAC. That has nothing to do with my love for Wyoming football or the state. There is a reason that sports are separated by divisions (I.E. states have 4A/3A etc...) I want to see Wyoming win. I can't fathom responses from folks saying they would rather see Wyoming lose to a big time program than win against a mid-level one. Losing is for losers and I know that Wyoming is not a loser in its heart. Either way, we all have to just see what happens next week because nothing we say on this forum really matters in the grand scheme of things...