CRT

A forum for everything else not sports related. A place for fun and everything amusing.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Overblown or real problem?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

What is it? Never even heard of it.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

I assume it's critical race theory.

I'd say as per usual, the answer lies somewhere in the middle. One side thinks it's the end-all be-all and the only thing we should care about at the moment, and the other thinks we should stop teaching about slavery because racism doesn't exist anymore.

Do people of color have different opportunities and get treated differently by SOME law enforcement personnel than white people? Duh? Should every white person feel ashamed that our ancestors were racist slave owners? Hell no.

Should we pretend history didn't happen? No? Why the hell do we need to pretend that this country somehow has a perfect track record? No other country's history is clean either, and no Western democracy pretends that's the case. Germany isn't pretending Nazis didn't murder 6 Million Jews.

Maybe some people prefer their heads in the sand, though, similar to Turkey denying the Armenian genocide, or China pretending the Tiananmen Square massacre didn't take place (or the rest of the world happily pretending they don't currently have concentration camps). But I honestly don't think that's what most people want, outside of some Q radicals.

Similarly, I don't think a vast majority of people want to crawl on their knees and worship anybody who has a drop of slave blood in them.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

I pretty much agree with Asmodeanreborn. The thing I notice is that it fails to describe all of historic racism and focuses on pieces to fit a narrative = indoctrination.

It fails to discuss Indigenous slavery prior to arrival of Europeans. It fails to discuss Indigenous and other underrepresented groups' involvement in the African American slave trade (which also includes African Americans involved in operating the African American slave trade). You can't restrict the topic to US borders when the US wasn't even formed and those borders didn't exist. You must explore all of slavery or near-slavery...Irish, Asian Americans, etc. You must explore all players and all regions which drove the slave trade.

You must also explore modern slavery and extreme human rights violations that we turn a blind eye to because it doesn't happen in our borders and it helps generate things like batteries, shoes, markets for our products, etc.

Educate or indoctrinate. CRT seems more like the latter as does ignoring these topics altogether.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Better to teach that we are all equals and no one bears responsibility for the way the world is or what happened in the past. CRT seems like divisive poop to me. Need to focus on ways to make the world a better place going forward.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

I'm with Asmodean on this as well. CRT is complex, no doubt. And while the one end, "be white, better apologize for slavery" or whatever, is extreme, so is sweeping it under the rug. Particularly the history and modern issues that CRT coverts.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Had my first experience with this crap. Our school board adopted it. 5th graders didn't even know who Christopher Columbus was. Instead, associated him as white European explorers who resembled modern terrorists and decimated innocent Natives who were living in peace and harmony.

Now, I have 0 issue describing the brutality of the era as long as it is all taught.

CRT is a terrible thing to teach kids. History is complex and it is a fool's errand to judge the past in today's context.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:35 am Had my first experience with this crap. Our school board adopted it. 5th graders didn't even know who Christopher Columbus was. Instead, associated him as white European explorers who resembled modern terrorists and decimated innocent Natives who were living in peace and harmony.

Now, I have 0 issue describing the brutality of the era as long as it is all taught.

CRT is a terrible thing to teach kids. History is complex and it is a fool's errand to judge the past in today's context.
Same. I asked my child what she knew about the Pilgrims and all she had to say was they should have been nicer to the indians. What the hell? Makes me cringe. We've been having a lot of history lessons at home now.

They teach that only white people are capable of committing atrocities and that black people in America were the only people in history to ever be enslaved.

well, Arabs were the greatest enslavers in history. Almost all blacks that that were enslaved in America were captured in Africa by other black people. I just read about the Comanche indians, a tribe that committed brutal acts that are unthinkable by today's standards (also badass horsemen and women), the Cherokee took their slaves with them on the Trail of Tears. Japanese killed and raped millions. Same with the Soviets and Nazis. History is complicated, but what has occurred in America by white people is certainly no worse than has occurred in other parts of the world at various times and honestly pales in comparison.

America is the most equal and tolerant place in the history of the world, but these asshole educators are teaching our children to resent, detest and abhor her. Sickening.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

That’s why a leader like Desantis is so great. Florida is going on the offensive. We are always playing defense and it’s incremental losses. It’s time to take it all back
W-Y, Until I Die!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

laxwyo wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:16 am That’s why a leader like Desantis is so great. Florida is going on the offensive. We are always playing defense and it’s incremental losses. It’s time to take it all back
Preach. This stuff needs eradicated.