Time to get back on the coaching carousel.

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 145 times

Wyokie wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:21 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:12 pm This thread is poop IMO. The team won today. The one consistent thing about Bohl’s teams is that they never quit. If we win 3 or 4 games this year then maybe this is a topic. But this team is going to do good things this year. It’s apparent just watching the way the players pick each other up even when things are not going the best.
I agree.

1st game jitters in front of...what?...30,000 fans after a year where there was max. of 6,000. Big difference!

Plus, Bohl probably didn't want to blow out his former assistant after working together for 15-20 years.

Now...if we get destroyed next week in DeKalb, Illinois against Northern Illinois who was really bad last year going 0-6 the, I'd be going #FIREBOHL. But until then...
Considering our last trip to eastern Michigan, I’d say we’re in tough for any non conference road game
W-Y, Until I Die!
Expat_Poke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 3 times

jessejames02 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:40 pm How many conference championships do we have under Burman?

Anything short of 7 wins this year should result in a cleaning out from the top.
That is fine, and I would be in agreement. Yet we are one game in and we are 1-0. The game winning TD pass was a beaut. Also while there were a lot of struggles, I also see signs for hope and positives to continue to build on. We will see, but as a fan I don't see the point of worrying about a hypothetical that may or may not happen at this point. If come December and we are bottom of the barrel, time enough to talk about it then. Come December and we are a 10 win team then all this will seem quite silly.

Beware of overreactions after 1 game. Missouri fans were apoplectic after we beat them, yet they were on their way on to a solid season and had a top 25 ranking until they got some significant injuries that truly derailed their season.

Wanting to talk ways to improve the X's and O's I am all good with. Worrying about December in September seems like putting the cart before the horse.
Returned from my 4 year exodus in Greenieville
Steamboat
Buckaroo

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:12 pm This thread is [#]sh#t IMO. The team won today. The one consistent thing about Bohl’s teams is that they never quit. If we win 3 or 4 games this year then maybe this is a topic. But this team is going to do good things this year. It’s apparent just watching the way the players pick each other up even when things are not going the best.
Is it selfish to expect more, in Bohl's eight year?
J-Bone
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 11 times

Steamboat wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:40 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:12 pm This thread is [#]sh#t IMO. The team won today. The one consistent thing about Bohl’s teams is that they never quit. If we win 3 or 4 games this year then maybe this is a topic. But this team is going to do good things this year. It’s apparent just watching the way the players pick each other up even when things are not going the best.
Is it selfish to expect more, in Bohl's eight year?
Last season basically wasn't a season. Some of this was dusting out the cobwebs.

Our offense woke up later in the game. We also lost a good cornerback in the first quarter. Montana State played well.

We're alright. Looking forward to the NIU game! :cool:
jessejames02
Ranch Hand

Expat_Poke wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:05 am
jessejames02 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:40 pm How many conference championships do we have under Burman?

Anything short of 7 wins this year should result in a cleaning out from the top.
That is fine, and I would be in agreement. Yet we are one game in and we are 1-0. The game winning TD pass was a beaut. Also while there were a lot of struggles, I also see signs for hope and positives to continue to build on. We will see, but as a fan I don't see the point of worrying about a hypothetical that may or may not happen at this point. If come December and we are bottom of the barrel, time enough to talk about it then. Come December and we are a 10 win team then all this will seem quite silly.

Beware of overreactions after 1 game. Missouri fans were apoplectic after we beat them, yet they were on their way on to a solid season and had a top 25 ranking until they got some significant injuries that truly derailed their season.

Wanting to talk ways to improve the X's and O's I am all good with. Worrying about December in September seems like putting the cart before the horse.
How many seasons until the complaints legitimate? We’re in year 8 and he still has a losing record.

We’re in year ??? of Burman and no championships.

If we’re not going to try for high level sports teams, we might as well make the budgets appropriate for the quality of the programs.

Edit: I’ll retract that last sentence. I live in Montana now, so I shouldn’t care how much Wyoming citizens pay them.
52-56
CheyenneGunslinger
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time

Well, at least the Cowboys won.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

I regret not phrasing the title of this thread as more of a question. I hate the idea of getting back on the coaching carousel...I also hate the idea that you can't win at Wyoming but I can't falsify it at this point. The best evidence that Wyoming can do it was the conference title game year. But the pokes fell short and we have not been back. Have any coaches at Wyoming had two peaks?... If so, it hasn't happened in the modern era.

Honestly, I'm pleasantly surprised that people seemed slightly offended by the idea that it is time to pull the plug. But I'm perplexed at the lack of a coherent argument around the "can't win in Laramie" comment.

I'm worried that we have seen the peak of the Bohl era and he is coasting on the increased attendance and fan engagement that will surely dwindle if he can't get us to another conference title game.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

I was at the game, and I'm not as down on the Pokes or Coach Bohl as some are on here. There are too many possible reasons for the poor showing in the first half+ of the game like Vigan being the HC of MSU now, Chambers being injured the last 3 seasons, and last year being a total messed-up year due to the covid. I saw the Pokes really starting to put it together toward the end of that game. Just my take.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

307bball wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:42 pm I regret not phrasing the title of this thread as more of a question. I hate the idea of getting back on the coaching carousel...I also hate the idea that you can't win at Wyoming but I can't falsify it at this point. The best evidence that Wyoming can do it was the conference title game year. But the pokes fell short and we have not been back. Have any coaches at Wyoming had two peaks?... If so, it hasn't happened in the modern era.

Honestly, I'm pleasantly surprised that people seemed slightly offended by the idea that it is time to pull the plug. But I'm perplexed at the lack of a coherent argument around the "can't win in Laramie" comment.

I'm worried that we have seen the peak of the Bohl era and he is coasting on the increased attendance and fan engagement that will surely dwindle if he can't get us to another conference title game.
It's such a competitive landscape now. Michigan pays Harbaugh 8 million a year and the results haven't been there. Every school in our league is trying to be better. Csewe spends all that money on a new stadium, pays an SEC coordinator millions, and they were still terrible. They're terrible now. There is no magic formula. In Josh's junior year, his only mwc loss was at Boise state - a game we led going into the 4th qtr. Then he got hurt and our backup could do nothing in losses to San Jose st. and fresno st.. It shows how important the qb position is. A good one can make a bad team good and a bad one can make a good team bad. That was why Tiller was special. He could coach offense - and quarterbacks. I thought Josh's presence here might help us draw better qb's. But so far, it doesn't appear that Josh had coattails, so to speak. So I think you may ultimately be correct about where the program ends up under Bohl.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

My thing has always been, if Bohl's spozed to be so good then why do we have him. Afterall we are known as coaching stepping stone U and here we are in Year 8 and the former OC almost got the former boss. I like the fact he's been here for 8 years but after seeing what i/we all saw Saturday, maybe Glenn(errrrr) Bohl 2.0 at UW is the best we're gonna get. Natties in the FCS level are 1 thing, Conference Championships are another and BOY ARE WE DUE FOR ONE....GET ER DONE. Let's see what adjustments are to be made for Saturday let's hope they work
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

stymeman wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:08 pm Afterall we are known as coaching stepping stone U
We're not known for that. Wasn't ole pool table the last one to leave willingly and a lateral move at best? That was at the start of the MWC and the BCS. Since then, we've been much more a graveyard than stepping stone.

Too early to judge this season. Looks to be enough pieces to have a good year and enough history to say the sputtering offense is just a continuation. I'm still betting on a good season but some uncertainty is there.This weekend will be a great litmus test.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.