Are we in trouble at UNI?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
FarEastPoke
Ranch Hand

UNI was impressive at Georgia Tech. We were unimpressive vs an FCS team. Going into DeKalb doesn't fill me with confidence at this point...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

I’m predicting another 2016 game. But in 3OT rather than Sean scrambling around, I predict a Hoyland FG for the win.

This will be a close game no doubt in my mind.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Depending on level and rate of progression, we have the potential to be in trouble against any team on the schedule.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
J-Bone
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 11 times

Wyo is 6.5 point favorites at the moment.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

J-Bone wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:10 pm Wyo is 6.5 point favorites at the moment.
And they were 18 point favorites against MSU. I'm thinking 33 to 17. Unfortunately not for the Pokes. Hope my crystal ball is wrong.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 601 times
Been liked: 239 times

Shocking the pokes are favored.

Hope we can escape with a win
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Actually with the line coming out with Wyoming favored by -7 Wyoming will cover.

You will probably get a lot of the public betting on Northern Illinois because they will look at scores from last week and think the line is too good to be true for Northern Illinois and then Wyoming will end up handling them.

Mark this post. Been wagering on sports a long time. Everyone over reacts to the first weeks games and the books usually win the 2nd week.

Not only that but Northern Illinois probably shot their wad last week with a big road win for them. They might have an emotional let down this week and be flat.

Just my opinion.
Last edited by seattlecowboy on Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

Oh and not to be a pain in the butt ….. it is NIU not UNI.

UNI is Northern Iowa.

If you say that to a Northern Illinois fan they will get offended. Not that anyone cares. Lol

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 90 times

I think the jury is still out on this team. NIU is the litmus test to me. The Big Sky, Valley and FCS had a fairly great weekend - in my view, we were lucky to come out with the W and need to simply move on as a 1-0 team. The emotional tie between Bohl and Vigen, the fact that we were underprepared for MSU and its scheme and the first game realities that have always plagued Wyoming (we have had to come back against FCS or lower tier FBS talent in quite a few openers through the years) all spun up to what we saw on Saturday.

Things I am concerned about:

1) our O-line is not as advertised. They are not a strength at this point. For a supposed "power" team, we looked pedestrian or worse in the run game. Even so, most of our frailty in the run game is tied to scheme and the reality that we are regularly up against 8-9 man fronts - we have to have success in the pass game for the run game to work IMHO.
2) our run defense is 'meh'. MSU was solid in the run game and kept ahead of the sticks to keep 2nd and 3rd downs manageable - averaging over 4 yards per carry. That cannot continue.
3) man to man defense on the outside is going to get us killed against better teams with better receivers. They held their own against MSU - against a better WR corps, I am worried.
4) the seam route with the TE and slot receivers killed us. Knowing the wealth of talent at TE in the MoWest, we have to figure that out.

Things I am excited about:

1) our WR and TE corps could be special if they are used properly, which could open up the run game. Bohl and Polasek have to adapt and use the pass to set up the run - that one handed grab to win the thing was pretty darn cool and Neyor could be a beast (if we don't figure out how to use him, I wouldn't be surprised to see him transfer).
2) our punter is going to be a weapon for us. The kid is good and will play a big role this year for a team that relies on field position to win.
3) Chambers and the 4th quarter showed what is possible - Bohl and Polasek have to mimic that play calling going forward - but starting in the first quarter
4) our secondary. Despite being a bit of a concern in 1-1 matchups, I did think that our DBs played pretty well. Losing a key member of the secondary to targeting put them on more of an island and they held up. My fear is that against better teams, we could get dinged up.

We are 1-0. We have a challenge coming in NIU and our first true measuring stick for the season. I am nervous but cautiously optimistic.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

LawPoke wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:08 am I think the jury is still out on this team. NIU is the litmus test to me. The Big Sky, Valley and FCS had a fairly great weekend - in my view, we were lucky to come out with the W and need to simply move on as a 1-0 team. The emotional tie between Bohl and Vigen, the fact that we were underprepared for MSU and its scheme and the first game realities that have always plagued Wyoming (we have had to come back against FCS or lower tier FBS talent in quite a few openers through the years) all spun up to what we saw on Saturday.

Things I am concerned about:

1) our O-line is not as advertised. They are not a strength at this point. For a supposed "power" team, we looked pedestrian or worse in the run game. Even so, most of our frailty in the run game is tied to scheme and the reality that we are regularly up against 8-9 man fronts - we have to have success in the pass game for the run game to work IMHO.
2) our run defense is 'meh'. MSU was solid in the run game and kept ahead of the sticks to keep 2nd and 3rd downs manageable - averaging over 4 yards per carry. That cannot continue.
3) man to man defense on the outside is going to get us killed against better teams with better receivers. They held their own against MSU - against a better WR corps, I am worried.
4) the seam route with the TE and slot receivers killed us. Knowing the wealth of talent at TE in the MoWest, we have to figure that out.

Things I am excited about:

1) our WR and TE corps could be special if they are used properly, which could open up the run game. Bohl and Polasek have to adapt and use the pass to set up the run - that one handed grab to win the thing was pretty darn cool and Neyor could be a beast (if we don't figure out how to use him, I wouldn't be surprised to see him transfer).
2) our punter is going to be a weapon for us. The kid is good and will play a big role this year for a team that relies on field position to win.
3) Chambers and the 4th quarter showed what is possible - Bohl and Polasek have to mimic that play calling going forward - but starting in the first quarter
4) our secondary. Despite being a bit of a concern in 1-1 matchups, I did think that our DBs played pretty well. Losing a key member of the secondary to targeting put them on more of an island and they held up. My fear is that against better teams, we could get dinged up.

We are 1-0. We have a challenge coming in NIU and our first true measuring stick for the season. I am nervous but cautiously optimistic.
I am in agreement with all of your post...well said. This little league coach will hold 'ol Bohly to his statement of many years..."the most improvement you will see on a D1 football team comes between week 1 and week 2". Prove it, talk the talk, and walk the walk Bohly!
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

seattlecowboy wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:55 pm Actually with the line coming out with Wyoming favored by -7 Wyoming will cover.

You will probably get a lot of the public betting on Northern Illinois because they will look at scores from last week and think the line is too good to be true for Northern Illinois and then Wyoming will end up handling them.

Mark this post. Been wagering on sports a long time. Everyone over reacts to the first weeks games and the books usually win the 2nd week.

Not only that but Northern Illinois probably shot their wad last week with a big road win for them. They might have an emotional let down this week and be flat.

Just my opinion.
I understand the thought process. I agree that over reaction is what makes the sports books rich. However, if you look at our OOC road record under Bohl, there is no way you can lay the points in this game. Not that I bet anymore. I would have taken csewe in their home opener!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

bladerunnr wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:49 am
seattlecowboy wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:55 pm Actually with the line coming out with Wyoming favored by -7 Wyoming will cover.

Just my opinion.
I understand the thought process. I agree that over reaction is what makes the sports books rich. However, if you look at our OOC road record under Bohl, there is no way you can lay the points in this game. Not that I bet anymore. I would have taken csewe in their home opener!
Was going to say this. It's a rare occurrence for us to win road games.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

bladerunnr wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:49 am

Just my opinion.
Doesn’t matter what Wyoming’s road record is in the past as far as Wagering. Why did the books make the line Wyoming -6 and now it’s up to -7? That’s the question that should be asked of yourself. You can’t handicap teams you have to handicap numbers.

If you are regular Joe public and try to handicap teams and look at the scores you will see Wyoming beat a lowly FCS team in Montana barely at home 19-16. Wyoming must suck. But Montana St was ranked 13th in FCS and they might be better than that and they had our previous OC as coach.

You will see NIU went down to Atlanta on the road and beat mighty Georgia Tech 22-21 (although Georgia Tech has sucked lately)

You will see the game is at Northern Illinois and be all giddy. Thinking this is a sure win. I’m getting +7 points with NIU at home. Wow pay me my money, they don’t even need to play the game I know I am winning this one.

Then what really happens is Wyoming goes in there and takes care of business and everyone that wagered on NIU for a sure thing is left holding their crotch in their hand wondering how the heck that could happen after both teams previous games.

I understand what you are saying though but that is not how I look at things. Just my opinion. While I was a little surprised (not totally surprised) by this line, the fact they put it out leads me to believe Wyoming covers it. Guess we will see.

TrackPoke
Ranch Hand

NIU did not win, Georgia Tech lost.

1.) Georgia Tech's starting QB left the game with an arm injury.
2.) GT missed three FGs, two in the first half.
3.) GT had 128 more total yards than NIU (20 passing and 108 rushing).
4.) GT lost a fumble on a 1st and 10, giving NIU the ball on the 43. (note: NIU also lost a fumble on their own 25).
5.) During their first possession, GT had an incomplete pass on 4th and 3 instead of punting.
6.) GT had an incomplete pass on 4th and goal instead of settling for a FG.
7.) GT had 25 first downs vs NIU's 15
8.) NIU had 11 penalties for 82 yards vs GT's 2 for 5 yards.

GT wins this game 9 out of 10 times. NIU plays Michigan the week after they play Wyoming. Maybe the confidence they gained has them looking past us.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

TrackPoke wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:40 pm NIU did not win, Georgia Tech lost.

4.) GT lost a fumble on a 1st and 10, giving NIU the ball on the 43. (note: NIU also lost a fumble on their own 25).
5.) During their first possession, GT had an incomplete pass on 4th and 3 instead of punting.

GT wins this game 9 out of 10 times. NIU plays Michigan the week after they play Wyoming. Maybe the confidence they gained has them looking past us.
This adds context to the confusing (to me) line. Thanks
Huskie73
Buckaroo

Just my opinion.
Yo Cowboys, Huskie fan here. Expecting a good game. The line probably has more to do with our record from last year than week 1. I won’t get into why going 0-6 is misleading but pretty much nobody believes in NIU this year except those closest to the program.

Someone posted that GT lost the game. That’s absolutely true. They’re loaded with young talented athletes but they and their staff totally overlooked us and flat out choked. However, what that game did do is give our 87 freshman confidence and belief in one another.

Here’s what I expect on Saturday without admittedly knowing a lot about Wyoming (as a fellow G5 fan I know a hell of a lot more about the MWC than most P5 fans)
*Wyoming comes with a good game plan and executes well with a run first approach.
*NIU, backed by a fired up home opener crowd, come out full of energy and motivation.
*Both teams exchange physical play in a tough old school street fight mentality.
*It’s a 1 score game but NIU finds a way to win at home.

Are the kids looking forward to playing in the big house next week? Absolutely. As someone close to the program do I think there’s a snowballs chance in hell NIU overlooks a quality opponent in Wyoming? No chance. This team is like a pack of wild dogs right now and they can’t wait for the next fight to begin. I’m taking NIU and the points all day long.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Being an early gsme 12:30 their time i believe we'll struggle for most of this one too, but find a way to get it done, but us and road games aren't always the best medicine, unfortunately
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

Add this to what I said and again Wyoming will cover in my opinion. Good stuff Track Poke. I hadn’t looked through the box score yet but sounds like it was a misleading final based on the score. No disrespect to NIU or the fan that posted here.

Sometimes you win games getting some luck your way. Like they say “sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good.”

We got some luck in our game last week as well to pull out a win. No shame in that if you get the W. Better than a loss on your record.

Huskie73
Buckaroo

1.) Georgia Tech's starting QB left the game with an arm injury. (Huskie73) He couldn't hit the side of a barn and was down 14-0 when he left. The back-up came in and was far more effective. Our entire gameplan was to stop the run for the hurt QB and we were not prepared for the back-up who was a superior thrower.
2.) GT missed three FGs, two in the first half. (Huskie73) One of the FGs was 61 yds on the last play of the game. 2 missed FGs legitimate unable to execute.
3.) GT had 128 more total yards than NIU (20 passing and 108 rushing). (Huskie73) NIU had the lead the entire game until 6 minutes remaining. The goal is to score more points than the opponent, not gain the most yards or score the most points possible. NIUs offense went very conservative for over 2 quarters until the last drive of the game when they needed to score.-
4.) GT lost a fumble on a 1st and 10, giving NIU the ball on the 43. (note: NIU also lost a fumble on their own 25). (Huskie73) 1 fumble lost each, GT got the yardage benefit.
5.) During their first possession, GT had an incomplete pass on 4th and 3 instead of punting. (Huskie73) Yeah, it's called good defense.
6.) GT had an incomplete pass on 4th and goal instead of settling for a FG. (Huskie73) Again, bend don't break worked. Their QB was rushed and the play failed.
7.) GT had 25 first downs vs NIU's 15 (Huskie73) See #3. Also, GT's defense was extremely athletic and played well for the most part.
8.) NIU had 11 penalties for 82 yards vs GT's 2 for 5 yards. (Huskies73) Refs had a couple phantom calls to return a scoop 6 for NIU and a fumbled punt that NIU recovered inside GTs 20 so 14 points taken away for a bogus procedural call and a review that could have gone either way.

These are all true but to be fair I've added context for anyone who might care. Not saying GT didn't have more talent. What I'm saying is NIU stepped up and GT did not execute. That doesn't mean NIU got "lucky".
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

The biggest reason that I like Wyoming's chances is that Kenny Golladay is no longer at NIU. That guy single handily kept NIU in the last game between the schools.