4 Straight Losses

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Pistol Paul
Buckaroo

Four wins.....four losses.....Bohl has peaked as coach but the contract goes to 2024 so nothing will be done. Sometimes accolades elsewhere don't translate to wins or huge successes in a new setting. Case in point Scott Frost is about to get tarred and feathered in Lincoln!

I do believe Bohl was a great coach in ND but if not for Josh Allen notoriety he may have already been gone and done here before the extension got done. The offensive line is just that......offensive to watch! This was touted as the strength of the team in preseason as we all know and were supposed to pancake everyone! The new OC is making the Vigen offense look like Josh McDaniel's! Yes I am frustrated but I say let Bohl finish out his contract as the musical coach hasn't worked out. DC was an OC @ Missouri and a pretty good one but not a head coach. He then went to Utah as OC and regressed their offense. I was a huge Joe Glenn fan and would have been content with him staying ten more years. Our AD has these grand illusions WYO will be a Boise State but it will never be.......just the opinion of a long time frustrated fan......

There is always next season......

"I'll tell ya what's wrong with today's society.....we no longer drink from the skulls of our enemies!"
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

First off, glad you joined.

Secondly, when the Black 14 mess happened,...that pretty much destroyed any hope of Wyoming being Boise State BEFORE Boise State.

In other words, blame BYU for this entire mess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Pistol Paul
Buckaroo

Thanks for the welcome. I agree we ALL want championships but maybe we have become the Colorado Rockies of the MWC and the AD knows it? There will be butts in the stands win or lose and no one cares what the record is. Let's face it. This isn't Michigan or Ohio State. Our fans drive from places like Wright, Wamsutter, Daniel Jct. hit the bars, go to the game and finish pounding 5-9 beers get to yell at the refs, sing the beer song 20 times and go home happy!
Oh and let's not forget the "Let's Go Brandon" chants too..... If he is packing in 26,000 folks per plus the beer sales that is his bottom line....

Whomever the MWC coach was that told Joe Glenn you will never recruit to Laramie was spot on.....at least for now our illustrious AD quit scheduling Texas, Missouri, Tennessee and powerhouse teams. (I know we got lucky and beat Mizzou but that was an anomaly not the norm).

I believe like a previous poster said we shall dangle one notch above mediocrity at best on a good year and be mired slightly below the remainder of the time whether it be Bohl or Nick Saban!
It is what it is. Laradise unfortunately isn't going to draw blue chip recruits.....once a millennium you will get lucky and find a kid like Josh Allen no wanted wanted to roll the dice on. Savor those times and hope for another somewhere down the road!

"I'll tell ya what's wrong with today's society............ we no longer drink from the skulls of our enemies!"
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Our current defensive talent is proof that you can recruit to Wyoming. I call poop that you can’t recruit to a system here. The fact is that the offensive system they are running won’t work here.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 607 times
Been liked: 242 times

marcuswyo wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:21 am Our current defensive talent is proof that you can recruit to Wyoming. I call [#]sh#t that you can’t recruit to a system here. The fact is that the offensive system they are running won’t work here.
+1
Pistol Paul
Buckaroo

marcuswyo: I wished I shared your optimism. If what you say is the case about the offense then that is on Bohl! He is guilty of Einstein's quote on the definition of insanity....

"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results!"

I would respectfully disagree our defense is elite this year since we have yet to beat a "good" team? Perceived talent doesn't translate to wins.....Jerry Rice's son is a WR (I am sure you are aware of) for CU and they SUCK....Rocket's kid did nothing here but flaunt his dad's name.....point is it takes a team. There is no leader like Logan Wilson or Josh Allen......Chambers is NOT a good QB.....Levi W. is NOT a good QB! IF they were they would be playing at Texas or OU.......we get bottom feeder QB's (with the exception of Allen) or the 5 day old leftovers from the fridge if you will.....Seldon & Moore were "good backs" but not great.....B. Hill was good but should have stayed for his senior season....as far as QB's if you take Josh out of the mix you pretty much have to go back to the Marc Cousins days for one that slung the ball around. Bramlett was decent but by no means was he great...

There have been some VERY good D players come out of here. Gipson bros, Unrein, Fletcher, Granderson, Wilson, Knapton, Donahue etc. I truly hope you are right and recruitment gets better but I think we will be in this rut until Bohl is done. He isn't going to change his ways. He won't have another Josh or Carson Wentz to get him to a viable bowl game unless he uncovers another hidden gem. He is a great guy and a great ambassador but I bet deep down he wishes he would have stayed put IMO. I love this state and our team year in and year out rain, snow or sunny days but switching coaches every 3-4 years doesn't do any good. I stick to my guns and say let CB finish out the terms of his contract and then start over.

Some big guns have come to UW Athletics, Pat Dye, Fred Akers, Benny Dees etc. BBALL has hired Kentucky & Indiana assistants etc. and it is the same results over and over and over.....the Larry Nance Jr.'s and the Josh Allen's are once a generation and we as Pokes fans should be grateful we got to go on the ride with them because it isn't a ticket one can buy every day like Michigan, Bama, LSU or The Ohio State U....
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I don’t totally disagree with you, but there are players like Brett Smith, that aren’t NFL talents, that can make an impact on the college game with in systems that their weaknesses are not exposed and in which their talents are played up. I am saying that the offensive struggles can be laid at Bohl’s feet. New Mexico made a complete change in offensive systems (one they ran in the past) in one week because things weren’t working and they needed to match a system to their players capabilities. No reason Bohl couldn’t have switched to running more up tempo other than he is stubborn.

Not on point of discussion but Brian Hill had to go to the NFL. Careers are so short for running backs and staying a year would not have improved his draft position ( would have likely hurt it in my opinion). The financial loss of stayin a year would be huge.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

Pistol Paul wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:46 am marcuswyo: I wished I shared your optimism. If what you say is the case about the offense then that is on Bohl! He is guilty of Einstein's quote on the definition of insanity....

"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results!"

I would respectfully disagree our defense is elite this year since we have yet to beat a "good" team? Perceived talent doesn't translate to wins.....Jerry Rice's son is a WR (I am sure you are aware of) for CU and they SUCK....Rocket's kid did nothing here but flaunt his dad's name.....point is it takes a team. There is no leader like Logan Wilson or Josh Allen......Chambers is NOT a good QB.....Levi W. is NOT a good QB! IF they were they would be playing at Texas or OU.......we get bottom feeder QB's (with the exception of Allen) or the 5 day old leftovers from the fridge if you will.....Seldon & Moore were "good backs" but not great.....B. Hill was good but should have stayed for his senior season....as far as QB's if you take Josh out of the mix you pretty much have to go back to the Marc Cousins days for one that slung the ball around. Bramlett was decent but by no means was he great...

There have been some VERY good D players come out of here. Gipson bros, Unrein, Fletcher, Granderson, Wilson, Knapton, Donahue etc. I truly hope you are right and recruitment gets better but I think we will be in this rut until Bohl is done. He isn't going to change his ways. He won't have another Josh or Carson Wentz to get him to a viable bowl game unless he uncovers another hidden gem. He is a great guy and a great ambassador but I bet deep down he wishes he would have stayed put IMO. I love this state and our team year in and year out rain, snow or sunny days but switching coaches every 3-4 years doesn't do any good. I stick to my guns and say let CB finish out the terms of his contract and then start over.

Some big guns have come to UW Athletics, Pat Dye, Fred Akers, Benny Dees etc. BBALL has hired Kentucky & Indiana assistants etc. and it is the same results over and over and over.....the Larry Nance Jr.'s and the Josh Allen's are once a generation and we as Pokes fans should be grateful we got to go on the ride with them because it isn't a ticket one can buy every day like Michigan, Bama, LSU or The Ohio State U....
You are wrong on many levels.

First, Burman actually lacks the vision you describe. His default setting is "We're Wyoming. We just need to be good enough for Wyoming". His hires, outside of Shyatt (who fell into his lap), have been less than stellar.

Second, the number of players that have gone on to the NFL says that the talent CAN be recruited to Laramie, it's just not being properly coached and developed.

Here's something to ask yourself- when was the last time Wyoming hired an actual D1/ FBS head coach from another program? We keep hiring FCS HC's and/ or promoting college coordinators. Our next hire really needs to be a rising star out of the MAC, Sunbelt, C-USA, etc...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

Wyovanian wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:32 am

First, Burman actually lacks the vision you describe. His default setting is "We're Wyoming. We just need to be good enough for Wyoming". His hires, outside of Shyatt (who fell into his lap), have been less than stellar.

Second, the number of players that have gone on to the NFL says that the talent CAN be recruited to Laramie, it's just not being properly coached and developed.

Here's something to ask yourself- when was the last time Wyoming hired an actual D1/ FBS head coach from another program? We keep hiring FCS HC's and/ or promoting college coordinators. Our next hire really needs to be a rising star out of the MAC, Sunbelt, C-USA, etc...
The statement should not be that talent "cannot" be refried to Laramie..it obviously can. The question is " can it be recruited in sufficient quantity to field a competitive football program?" I don't see much evidence that the latter is possible. Yes the Allen's, Wilson's, and other pros who have come through a
Laramie may make it seem like we have the talent.... But we don't. It's not the marquee guys, it's the second string corner... The unheralded but solid backup tackle... That is what Wyoming rarely has. I'll put our one's up against most anybody... But that surface is terribly thin. Football is so dependant on those guys
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Pistol Paul wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:46 am There have been some VERY good D players come out of here.
And Wyoming will be able to recruit more. And do you know why? Because they know they will get a LOT of playing time (at least under Bohl)
Pistol Paul
Buckaroo

For starters I NEVER suggested Burman had ANY vision. I have NEVER been a Burman fan period. If you read what I wrote instead of rushing to judgement you would see that I was comparing him to Charlie Montfort....doesn't give a damn about winning just butts in the seats sober or drunk to add to the bottom line.....as long as the Wildcatter boxes have faces in them and he can draw in 25,000 plus you honestly think he gives a S@$%# if we lose to a smaller school?

You can bet he gets some sort of stipend on ticket sales and gate revenues.....end of story....
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 607 times
Been liked: 242 times

307bball wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:50 pm

The statement should not be that talent "cannot" be refried to Laramie..it obviously can. The question is " can it be recruited in sufficient quantity to field a competitive football program?" I don't see much evidence that the latter is possible. Yes the Allen's, Wilson's, and other pros who have come through a
Laramie may make it seem like we have the talent.... But we don't. It's not the marquee guys, it's the second string corner... The unheralded but solid backup tackle... That is what Wyoming rarely has. I'll put our one's up against most anybody... But that surface is terribly thin. Football is so dependant on those guys
Unquantifiable rubbish
PokeNer
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

We have more guys in the NFL than anyone in the MW outside of Boise (but only by a couple guys), and we’re not even in the same spectrum of success that Boise has. It’s coaching, scheme, and maybe piss poor QB talent evaluation (Allen fell into their lap).

Look at the talent on that 2016 team…how Bohl doesn’t walk through the MW with that team is beyond belief.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 150 times

That’s easy to answer. The D wasn’t very good.

PokeNer wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:37 pm

We have more guys in the NFL than anyone in the MW outside of Boise (but only by a couple guys), and we’re not even in the same spectrum of success that Boise has. It’s coaching, scheme, and maybe piss poor QB talent evaluation (Allen fell into their lap).

Look at the talent on that 2016 team…how Bohl doesn’t walk through the MW with that team is beyond belief.
W-Y, Until I Die!
PokeNer
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 2 times

laxwyo wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:00 pm That’s easy to answer. The D wasn’t very good.

Which was on the coaching. Everyone knows the D was horrendous that year, but coaching quickly got that talent to top-25 level in a year. I give Bohl credit for cutting loose Stanard, but he was a year late. He’s too loyal to a fault…from his coaching fraternity or players.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

Yeah...like I said...I like our one's. Evidently I've offended some of you so greatly that they cannot deign to even come up with a coherent disagreement *cough* LanderPoke *cough*.

I'm just not seeing us win the one on one battles very often. Yes, Brian Hill would run over even good linebackers if he got you into a one on one...Josh Allen made many a solitary free rusher look silly...but those are only one guy. Every position on the field has some sort of a one on one matchup they are trying to win. Outside of the best guys on our team...I disagree with an assessment that says we have had great talent lately. I think it would be accurate to say that the best guys on a lot of Bohl's teams are in fact better than the best guys on previous teams but I don't think they are the ones winning the games. We are talking about the ultimate team sport here. Take the best two guys on offense and defense off of our team and do the same thing to the top teams. Both will get worse but I believe we get much worse. I have no Idea how you would go about actually proving something like this .... I'm just going off what I see in front of me for 30+ years of watching Cowboy Football.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 129 times

Besides scheme the O is talent deficient regardless of where you look. 1s, 2s, doesn't matter. The QBs would be 3rd string at best at most FBS schools-- they may not even make the roster.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 7 times

I can't handle another year of that school from the south running their mouth. Don't let this thing get to 5.
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 14 times

We will go 0-fer in conference this year.
Remaining schedule:
vs CSU -- They have been close in both of their conference losses to USU and BSU, something that for anyone who has watch our games lately cannot say about the Pokes. CSU by 7.
@BSU -- As rough as the Donks have been this year, we lose this by 2 TDs on the road. BSU by 14.
@USU -- The Aggies have an offense and something that resembles an adequate defense, which is all you need against the Pokes. USU by 10.
vs UH -- Any resemblance of team pride is gone. 'Bows come into the War and finish the job. UH by 13.

4-8 overall with an 0-8 record in conference.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 110 times

PokeTransplant wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:29 pm We will go 0-fer in conference this year.
Remaining schedule:
vs CSU -- They have been close in both of their conference losses to USU and BSU, something that for anyone who has watch our games lately cannot say about the Pokes. CSU by 7.
@BSU -- As rough as the Donks have been this year, we lose this by 2 TDs on the road. BSU by 14.
@USU -- The Aggies have an offense and something that resembles an adequate defense, which is all you need against the Pokes. USU by 10.
vs UH -- Any resemblance of team pride is gone. 'Bows come into the War and finish the job. UH by 13.

4-8 overall with an 0-8 record in conference.
I sadly agree with all of this. I'll be pleasantly surprised if we win next week, but I don't see it happening.