Very Unpopular Opinion

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

The NCAA waters are stormy. Player transfers are unprecedented. Everyone is struggling to adapt and I mean everyone other than those that accept applications rather than recruit.

Totally uncharted waters for most programs. Maybe just maybe an old school no bs coach is the best option to weather the storm. Maybe chasing a bunch of prima donnas and trying to make sure they dont leave is a fool's errand.

Sometimes zigging is better than zagging. Not saying where players come from (ie portal vs high school) just that sometimes rather than chasing the latest trend, a solid foundation is better.

Before change; make sure change is better. Only fools change for the sake of change.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:45 pm The NCAA waters are stormy. Player transfers are unprecedented. Everyone is struggling to adapt and I mean everyone other than those that accept applications rather than recruit.

Totally uncharted waters for most programs. Maybe just maybe an old school no bs coach is the best option to weather the storm. Maybe chasing a bunch of prima donnas and trying to make sure they dont leave is a fool's errand.

Sometimes zigging is better than zagging. Not saying where players come from (ie portal vs high school) just that sometimes rather than chasing the latest trend, a solid foundation is better.

Before change; make sure change is better. Only fools change for the sake of change.
USU proved that a team of transfers can come together as a unit.

Wyoming has no choice but to go after a few transfers if it intends to be competitive at all
next year. The roster has been depleted.

I do agree though that chasing after players in the transfer portal is sure to bring players that may have a higher self focus (after all, they left their own teams to apparently seek greener pastures).
BeachPoke
Ranch Hand

This change in the transfer portal is nothing but a free agent program just like the NFL. it will be the demise of college football as we know it .. no kid will hang around for long at any university.. once they start to gain attention or improve there stats they will look to find a better place in their minds to play..
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

BeachPoke wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:10 am This change in the transfer portal is nothing but a free agent program just like the NFL. it will be the demise of college football as we know it .. no kid will hang around for long at any university.. once they start to gain attention or improve there stats they will look to find a better place in their minds to play..
As a college football program.... You either become that " better place to play" or you become irrelevant. Not sure there is an obvious path for a lot of college programs to succeed.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Bohl's comments are somewhat reassuring but i only see 1 or 2 players taken off the portal but nothing earth shattering, sure hope I'm wrong and can come back and eat my own crow....
I dont understand why there's a D1 anymore
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:08 am
BeachPoke wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:10 am This change in the transfer portal is nothing but a free agent program just like the NFL. it will be the demise of college football as we know it .. no kid will hang around for long at any university.. once they start to gain attention or improve there stats they will look to find a better place in their minds to play..
As a college football program.... You either become that " better place to play" or you become irrelevant. Not sure there is an obvious path for a lot of college programs to succeed.
What i'm getting at is that, in terms of pecking order, WYO will most likely be A place to play rather than THE place to play regardless of what we do. We'll never have that "I'll choose this school so family and friends can come watch me".

The question is: what will appeal to transfers that aren't going P5, staying close to home, or going to the likes of bsu?

I'm guessing position openings/ability to play right away is up there. I'm sure for many, the school side of things might be important (the transfers coming to WYO probably aren't nfl talent). I'm also guessing that program identity/system will be important.

Bohl has a strong case for D, o linemen, and RBs. He drastically needs QBs and WRs that can at least moderately function to get rid of the complete 1 dimensional offense stigma. Other than that, maybe it is better to ride this out with the identity that's been created. Nobody knows for certain what the best path will be for navigating this new era.

I guess what i'm saying is that maybe out old school identity might not be a bad thing to hold with until all of cfb starts adjusting to the transfer era. Let's see what works then decide. The usu model won't be the same in the future. Too many programs were decimated by transfers and thus must be chasing transfers.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:44 am
What i'm getting at is that, in terms of pecking order, WYO will most likely be A place to play rather than THE place to play regardless of what we do. We'll never have that "I'll choose this school so family and friends can come watch me".

The question is: what will appeal to transfers that aren't going P5, staying close to home, or going to the likes of bsu?

I'm guessing position openings/ability to play right away is up there. I'm sure for many, the school side of things might be important (the transfers coming to WYO probably aren't nfl talent). I'm also guessing that program identity/system will be important.

Bohl has a strong case for D, o linemen, and RBs. He drastically needs QBs and WRs that can at least moderately function to get rid of the complete 1 dimensional offense stigma. Other than that, maybe it is better to ride this out with the identity that's been created. Nobody knows for certain what the best path will be for navigating this new era.

I guess what i'm saying is that maybe out old school identity might not be a bad thing to hold with until all of cfb starts adjusting to the transfer era. Let's see what works then decide. The usu model won't be the same in the future. Too many programs were decimated by transfers and thus must be chasing transfers.
What you are saying makes sense to me. I also don't think the transfer portal is a solved thing yet...despite what USU did.

The thing I worry about is...the net talent at Wyoming goes down by using the transfer portal (generally)..not up. You mentioned that the incoming transfers for Wyoming will generally not be NFL caliber...seems like a reasonable assumption. What about the transfers away from Wyoming? I have to think if you just took a sample size of the next few years of transfers in both directions...you would see Wyoming suffering from a net talent deficit as talented players with options continue to look for other opportunities while players for whom Wyoming is the last resort keep coming in to replace them.
Steamboat
Buckaroo

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:45 pm The NCAA waters are stormy. Player transfers are unprecedented. Everyone is struggling to adapt and I mean everyone other than those that accept applications rather than recruit.

I agree with most of your post. Call them prima donnas or whatever, but regarding change... that's the sticker. Refusal to change an outdated system is what is driving this exodus of players. Bohl is the problem and has been for years. Players are not dumb. They can read and understand a playbook. They are keenly aware of how fans view the product on the field. Everybody knows it including Bohl, Burman, President Siedel and the trustees. Burman painted himself and the team in the corner with all the extensions he gave Bohl and now we cannot afford to buy out his contract. There are plenty of pissed off players and fans.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:06 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:44 am

What you are saying makes sense to me. I also don't think the transfer portal is a solved thing yet...despite what USU did.

The thing I worry about is...the net talent at Wyoming goes down by using the transfer portal (generally)..not up. You mentioned that the incoming transfers for Wyoming will generally not be NFL caliber...seems like a reasonable assumption. What about the transfers away from Wyoming? I have to think if you just took a sample size of the next few years of transfers in both directions...you would see Wyoming suffering from a net talent deficit as talented players with options continue to look for other opportunities while players for whom Wyoming is the last resort keep coming in to replace them.
We will definitely always be on the losing end of transfers. That's what makes the new era so challenging. You need an identity and system that overachieves with less talent. Others in the MWC will face the same challenge so it will be interesting to see how it impacts the pecking order. With Bohl's buyout and this transfer deal kicking into high gear, I just wonder if it's best to stand pat until we can see the landscape clearly.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Steamboat wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:27 am

I agree with most of your post. Call them prima donnas or whatever, but regarding change... that's the sticker. Refusal to change an outdated system is what is driving this exodus of players. Bohl is the problem and has been for years. Players are not dumb. They can read and understand a playbook. They are keenly aware of how fans view the product on the field. Everybody knows it including Bohl, Burman, President Siedel and the trustees. Burman painted himself and the team in the corner with all the extensions he gave Bohl and now we cannot afford to buy out his contract. There are plenty of pissed off players and fans.
I'm wondering if it was simply a mistake to stick with Chambers so long rather than a system issue? Bohl's system is definitely more risk averse and boring. However, I think part of that was lack of confidence in Chambers. No doubt he has work to do on the playbook, but some of it was we haven't had a qb since Josh. Levi from a throwing perspective is adequate but following Chambers made him look spectacular. Levi might really develop into something special but he wasn't there yet.

I'm not sold on the idea that Bohl is creating an environment causing mass exodus nor do I think he'll be an obstacle to getting transfers. If any of that is true, we would be accepting applications for linemen and rbs. It works both ways. We'll see but a coaching change at this point could be very dangerous. I'm ok with Bohl for now but it will be ugly if he doesn't find a qb and dbs in the transfer portal. Brian Hill's shots were unwarranted. He's a good back but what other program gets him to the nfl? He'd a been 3rd or 4th back on Bama and maybe never sniffed a training camp. Bohl's system highlighted and maximized Hill's ability. Josh is what he is DESPITE Bohl (also unpopular opinion) but Bohl damn sure helped Hill get to where he is.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 50 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:18 am

I'm wondering if it was simply a mistake to stick with Chambers so long rather than a system issue? Bohl's system is definitely more risk averse and boring. However, I think part of that was lack of confidence in Chambers. No doubt he has work to do on the playbook, but some of it was we haven't had a qb since Josh. Levi from a throwing perspective is adequate but following Chambers made him look spectacular. Levi might really develop into something special but he wasn't there yet.

I'm not sold on the idea that Bohl is creating an environment causing mass exodus nor do I think he'll be an obstacle to getting transfers. If any of that is true, we would be accepting applications for linemen and rbs. It works both ways. We'll see but a coaching change at this point could be very dangerous. I'm ok with Bohl for now but it will be ugly if he doesn't find a qb and dbs in the transfer portal. Brian Hill's shots were unwarranted. He's a good back but what other program gets him to the nfl? He'd a been 3rd or 4th back on Bama and maybe never sniffed a training camp. Bohl's system highlighted and maximized Hill's ability. Josh is what he is DESPITE Bohl (also unpopular opinion) but Bohl damn sure helped Hill get to where he is.
It was 100% a mistake to stick with Chambers for so long. Williams should have been in for the 2nd drive of the 3rd quarter at Air Force. Chambers was missing open receivers. By the time Williams came in he didn't have an opportunity to get in the flow and win the game. Next game, Chambers was back as the starter and turned the ball over 3 times before Williams came in. That was when the season turned bad. One game, maybe. Doing it again, he lost fans and probably some players.

I disagree that Brian Hill took unwarrented shots at Bohl. He said that players have options and coaches have to keep that in mind by not being dictators. He was clear that Bohl didn't lie to him. He only said that, "he has to adjust the way he runs his program. He's playing with new rules now." That's absolutely correct. He also said he had a P5 offer after his freshman year and didn't leave because Bohl didn't lie to him and he had a bond with his teammates. My opinion of Brian Hill was already pretty high. After reading his Twitter stuff on the portal, it's higher. So glad he'll always be a Cowboy!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

BTW - in the talk about Bohl's philosophies and if you look at the Twitters of a few players (including Neyor), a few have re-tweeted an interview with Deion Sanders where Deion discusses why it is important to the players to have the names of players on the backs of jerseys and that he will always make sure that Jacksonville State has the money so that every player can have their name on a jersey. It isn't just random that Deion's interview was re-tweeted by a few Wyoming player; there was a purpose to that.

Because it does mean something to players and because the players put in the effort to earn that starting spot to that their family members can see them on the field, it is crazy to me that Bohl won't budge on that (even though I as a fan could care less whether the name is on the jersey or not).
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 603 times
Been liked: 240 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:30 pm BTW - in the talk about Bohl's philosophies and if you look at the Twitters of a few players (including Neyor), a few have re-tweeted an interview with Deion Sanders where Deion discusses why it is important to the players to have the names of players on the backs of jerseys and that he will always make sure that Jacksonville State has the money so that every player can have their name on a jersey. It isn't just random that Deion's interview was re-tweeted by a few Wyoming player; there was a purpose to that.

Because it does mean something to players and because the players put in the effort to earn that starting spot to that their family members can see them on the field, it is crazy to me that Bohl won't budge on that (even though I as a fan could care less whether the name is on the jersey or not).
Yup. How stupid is it for the players not to have names on jerseys.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

flyfishwyo wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:00 pm

It was 100% a mistake to stick with Chambers for so long. Williams should have been in for the 2nd drive of the 3rd quarter at Air Force. Chambers was missing open receivers. By the time Williams came in he didn't have an opportunity to get in the flow and win the game. Next game, Chambers was back as the starter and turned the ball over 3 times before Williams came in. That was when the season turned bad. One game, maybe. Doing it again, he lost fans and probably some players.

I disagree that Brian Hill took unwarrented shots at Bohl. He said that players have options and coaches have to keep that in mind by not being dictators. He was clear that Bohl didn't lie to him. He only said that, "he has to adjust the way he runs his program. He's playing with new rules now." That's absolutely correct. He also said he had a P5 offer after his freshman year and didn't leave because Bohl didn't lie to him and he had a bond with his teammates. My opinion of Brian Hill was already pretty high. After reading his Twitter stuff on the portal, it's higher. So glad he'll always be a Cowboy!
Before I strongly disagree, I admit i don't follow twitter closely. Has Mr. Hill tweeted complimentary statements towards Bohl and/or WYO prior to this?
307bball
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:36 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:30 pm BTW - in the talk about Bohl's philosophies and if you look at the Twitters of a few players (including Neyor), a few have re-tweeted an interview with Deion Sanders where Deion discusses why it is important to the players to have the names of players on the backs of jerseys and that he will always make sure that Jacksonville State has the money so that every player can have their name on a jersey. It isn't just random that Deion's interview was re-tweeted by a few Wyoming player; there was a purpose to that.

Yup. How stupid is it for the players not to have names on jerseys.
Unless I'm mistaken...USC, Penn St, Notre Dame, Military Academies (probably others) have often not put names on the jerseys...I think Texas has also done it periodically. Not saying Deion is wrong or anything...just pointing out that it's not a slam dunk either way. It's not like the players should be surprised right? You kind of know that stuff going in.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:07 pm
flyfishwyo wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:00 pm

Before I strongly disagree, I admit i don't follow twitter closely. Has Mr. Hill tweeted complimentary statements towards Bohl and/or WYO prior to this?
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

So no other statement or kudos from Mr. Hill previously?

If that is true, here's the deal. You don't post some crap that's a passive aggressive accusation by first saying what he said about the portal and then saying Bohl will need to change his ways which implies he is who Hill first tweeted about only then to say Bohl never lied to him.

Straight up poop. Say it and stand by it or don't say anything at all. Passive aggressive is for cowards.

Even more bs that he only tweets about WYO and Bohl now and never before.

Nope. Not buying this poop. Thankfully Bohl didn't stoop to Hill's level. Glad to see Gabe standing up and stating exactly his thought; not some passive aggressive bs.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:52 pm So no other statement or kudos from Mr. Hill previously?

If that is true, here's the deal. You don't post some crap that's a passive aggressive accusation by first saying what he said about the portal and then saying Bohl will need to change his ways which implies he is who Hill first tweeted about only then to say Bohl never lied to him.

Straight up [#]sh#t. Say it and stand by it or don't say anything at all. Passive aggressive is for cowards.

Nope. Not buying this [#]sh#t. Thankfully Bohl didn't stoop to Hill's level. Glad to see Gabe standing up and stating exactly his thought; not some passive aggressive bs.
Did you read the whole thread?
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

flyfishwyo wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:44 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:52 pm So no other statement or kudos from Mr. Hill previously?

Straight up [#]sh#t. Say it and stand by it or don't say anything at all. Passive aggressive is for cowards.

Nope. Not buying this [#]sh#t. Thankfully Bohl didn't stoop to Hill's level. Glad to see Gabe standing up and stating exactly his thought; not some passive aggressive bs.
1st said loves transfer portal because coaches can't be dictators and lie. Then said Bohl needs to change his program. Also said Bohl never lied to him.

Is that about it?
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:35 am
flyfishwyo wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:44 am

1st said loves transfer portal because coaches can't be dictators and lie. Then said Bohl needs to change his program. Also said Bohl never lied to him.

Is that about it?
Also said he had a P5 offer to leave and didn't because his situation was good and he bonded with his teammates, but not all of his teammates had a good experience. He didn't disparage the coach or the program. Ryan Yarborough liked his comment. Gabe Knapton jumped in on the thread. They didn't agree on everything, but had respectful discourse.

In a previous post Hill retweeted about Valladay's rushing yards accomplishment. He's been a booster for the program and seems to be a solid human being. No sour grapes from Brian Hill.

Personally, I've met a few dozen college athletes who played basketball or football at different schools and at different levels. The one thing that's been a common thread is if you're a starter or star you likely had a great experience. If not, being a college athlete isn't that awesome. Both groups say the same thing. And VERY few of them loved the head coach. Anywhere. And even if they did, they had plenty of suggestions on how they could improve.