Linder contract

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

Is Burman gonna give this guy a raise and up the buyout? better hurry up.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 106 times

WyoVaquero wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:33 am Is Burman gonna give this guy a raise and up the buyout? better hurry up.
I'll bet it comes between the conference tournament and NCAA tournament
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

I really hope Linder sticks around for a few years at least. He's a brilliant coach that can connect the X's and O's with an understanding of efficiency on offense and defense. On the bright side, he has set up a staff with a few good head coach candidates to take over after him.

The difficult part is if he leaves soon then we can say goodbye to Ike and any other guys he wants to bring along to a bigger school. I assume a few schools will come knocking this off-season. Hopefully it's only bottom feeders from bigger conferences like the Oregon States of the world.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 603 times
Been liked: 240 times

If Burman extended Schroyer and Christiansen, he better be working one up for Linder. I really, really like Linder and hope he will stick around for a few years.

Maybe DeWeese or Wicks will throw their hat in the ring to be the next HC
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

I think we can actually keep Linder around a while. First and foremost, we need to start delivering a full arena, with the home court advantage he saw when he visited with Boise. It was one of the main reasons he came here.

If we can do that, and we can throw a lot of money at him, we might be able to get 4-6 more years out of him. Wyoming is the closest school to him and his wives families with a significant basketball history. CU has Tad Boyle and is Wyoming's whipping boy on the court. If Linder is at all motivated by staying close to home(most of his coaching gigs have been out west), then we are in a unique situation if we support him. Linder is smart enough to know that you can win a lot of games in Laramie and that the altitude is a huge advantage. I think he knows he could build a MW dynasty here and start charging deep into the NCAA tourney. He knows he could build a Gonzaga 2 hours from his hometown.

That requires fans to show up. That requires that we pay him and his staff "top of the league" money.

Still, I think we have a better chance of keeping Linder than we've had of keeping most of our "in demand" coaches over the years. If an Arizona or Kansas come after him, he'll probably leave. I think we've got the resources and location that can keep him in the fold for a while.

We really need the fans to show up. If any coach screams early extension and big raise, it's Jeff Linder.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

I was going to make a post about this the other day but never got around to it.

Linders base salary is only $225k with another $260k in guaranteed money. So he makes $460k a year right now.

That’s pretty poop for a coach of his caliber. Anyone can come steal him pretty much. Another mid major could easily grab him with as little as we pay him.

On the other hand our big loser football coach makes 1.5 million. They should take at least half of Bohls money away and give it to Linder. Bohl should never make more than Linder, don’t care if one coaches football. Losers don’t deserve to make that much money.

We get stuck with the loser, gouging us for money and the actual good coach is getting raked over the coals.

We won’t be keeping Linder very long in my opinion. If he gets offered over a million from anyone he is most likely gone from here. Too bad. He is building a great team. Like was said above, a lot of the guys he brought here will leave and go with him. As many as he can take anyways.

The most Wyoming can probably get him up to is Shyatt money, which was in the $750k range. That won’t be enough to keep him here long term.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Always too bad at stepping stone U....Linder could build us a helluva dynasty if we pay the man, Cmon Burman, afterall we should be known as a basketball school 1st and foremost. Everything else should fall into play....do the right thing Burman
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

stymeman wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:32 pm Always too bad at stepping stone U....Linder could build us a helluva dynasty if we pay the man, Cmon Burman, afterall we should be known as a basketball school 1st and foremost. Everything else should fall into play....do the right thing Burman
We should make him the highest paid coach in the conference. Its quite obvious he knows what he's doing. The crowds will come back. We've had a pandemic, bad roads, and 4 years of Allen Edwards. Which is just a reminder that hiring an assistant of a successful head coach means next to nothing. We finally have the right guy. If he's going to leave, let's not have it be about money.
It never ceases to amaze me the amount of money UW puts into facilities and then skimps on salaries.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

Give him whatever he wants. I said long ago we should pour all of our resources into becoming a basketball school. Now is our chance!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 147 times

I dread watching Linder and Ike at their new school next year.
W-Y, Until I Die!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

laxwyo wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:55 am I dread watching Linder and Ike at their new school next year.
Stop
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

Burman said he was taking 500k from Bohls contract and giving it to Linder. per anonymous .lol
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

WyoVaquero wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:17 am Burman said he was taking 500k from Bohls contract and giving it to Linder. per anonymous .lol
I wish that were true. He needs to add another $500k on top of that and get to Linder to $1.5 million. Might be able to keep him for a few seasons if he gets that. Don’t think a million will be enough to keep him that long. Some big conference school will pay him $2 million a year.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

laxwyo wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:55 am I dread watching Linder and Ike at their new school next year.
Worrying about it now will only make you live through it twice.

Just enjoy what we have now and whatever happens in the future happens.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

MWC Coaches Salaries:

SDSU: Brian Dutcher $1.31 Million

Nevada: Steve Alford $1.2 million

Utah St.: Ryan Odom $798,000

Boise St.: Leon Rice $784,000

CSU: Nico Medved: $775,000

New Mexico: Richard Pitino $775,000

UNLV: Kevin Kruger $770,000

San Jose St. Tim Miles $700,008

Fresno St.: Just Hutson $500,000

Wyoming: Jeff Linder $460,000

Air Force: Joe Scott — No info

Jeff Linder should get more then what he is. Of course he is only in his 2nd year but this is by far Burmans best coaching hire in the two major sports. Hope he gets top of the League money if we go to the NCAA tournament.

McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

Only Tom Burman, at UW, could f-word this up. Extend Schroyer? Extend Dickface? Lowball Linder? WTFF.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

seattlecowboy wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:48 pm MWC Coaches Salaries:

SDSU: Brian Dutcher $1.31 Million

Nevada: Steve Alford $1.2 million

Utah St.: Ryan Odom $798,000

Boise St.: Leon Rice $784,000

CSU: Nico Medved: $775,000

New Mexico: Richard Pitino $775,000

UNLV: Kevin Kruger $770,000

San Jose St. Tim Miles $700,008

Fresno St.: Just Hutson $500,000

Wyoming: Jeff Linder $460,000

Air Force: Joe Scott — No info

Jeff Linder should get more then what he is. Of course he is only in his 2nd year but this is by far Burmans best coaching hire in the two major sports. Hope he gets top of the League money if we go to the NCAA tournament.
Talk about sobering news...SJSU pays its basketball coach almost twice as much as Wyoming.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Agree that Linder's salary should be tripled, but if this were a "business" wouldn't we be singing the praises of the CEO (Burman) for making such a wise use of the budget? We're getting great value from Linder. If Linder was the best hire, which he obviously was, do you want Burman to have paid twice as much for Linder's services.. just because?
Last edited by LanderPoke on Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:24 am Agree that Linder's salary should be tripled, but if this were a "business" wouldn't we be singing the praises of the CEO (Burman) for making such a wise use of the budget? We're getting great value from Linder. If Linder was the best hire, which he obviously was do you want Burman to have paid twice as much for Linder's services.. just because?
Fine line there...and after year one (and the Linder first recruiting class) the writing was on the wall. Turn to 2021-22, and it is evident what we have in Linder...so why wait to extend? That makes as much sense as extending Edwards after the CBI "championship"...
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

McPeachy wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:37 am
LanderPoke wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:24 am Agree that Linder's salary should be tripled, but if this were a "business" wouldn't we be singing the praises of the CEO (Burman) for making such a wise use of the budget? We're getting great value from Linder. If Linder was the best hire, which he obviously was do you want Burman to have paid twice as much for Linder's services.. just because?
Fine line there...and after year one (and the Linder first recruiting class) the writing was on the wall. Turn to 2021-22, and it is evident what we have in Linder...so why wait to extend? That makes as much sense as extending Edwards after the CBI "championship"...
So...If you are an AD at Wyoming...How in the heck do you pay the "correct" amount? I see there being two options with various sub options.

1. The good coach scenario. In this scenario you either are getting a good coach that nobody else values (like Linder last year). Or you have the good coach that everybody else wants (Linder now or a year from now). In the former scenario...you would be dumb to pay top dollar just because...I mean the going rate for Linder when we hired him was probably about what he got. Now we are approaching the situation where if he continues to succeed there are programs with whom we can't match dollars. In this situation, we can up the pay and lose him or we can nickel and dime it and lose him.

2. The bad coach scenario. This is way too common at Wyoming. In this scenario...the best you can hope for is that the terribleness of the coach becomes clear as quick as possible, otherwise some early success (like the CBI championship) will financially lock us into underperformers. In this case, you are paying the tax of always having staff turnover and a drying up fan base. I honestly don't know how you avoid upping the pay of coaches that have early success. In the business of sports, these coaches want their money and recruits notice if there is the stench of coaching instability.

I think the best option for Wyoming is to get comfortable with hiring as many good coaches as you can...tough to do that though. AD's, like coaches, also look for other positions. Imagine we had a killer AD with an eye for up and coming coaching talent. How long would he be at Wyoming? Not long I bet.