Border War....1987

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

Great game last night. How does this game compare to triple overtime 1987 or Leckner's last second '88 tourney game?
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

So, last night is a classic.

I was at both the 87 triple-OT win in Ft. Fun and the 88 Tourney Clauzell-to-Leckner-football-pass-turnaround-three games.

The Leckner 3 pointer was by far the most exciting basketball game I've ever seen. Both teams were fighting like hell, and it hurt how loud we were yelling the whole time. It helps that we won, and it got us to the tourney final where we could punch our card to the NCAA.

I would put last night's game second. It was a tough game where both teams went all out, played hard-ass defense, and was just generally great basketball against a RIVAL

The triple-OT was freakin' insane by the time it was over. It had to be 90 degrees in the top deck of Moby Gym. But the Pokes were not at their best that night. It shouldn't have been much of a contest. Somehow CSU's hair-backed tub of lard center dominated against a future NBA draft pick and two talented backups. I think there were a lot turnovers. So it goes in third by a long shot.
Lost Poke
Cowpoke

I should also mentioned that the 88 tourney game had a very satisfying side-benefit: we won it in Provo, with a huge number of BYU fans there rooting against us. They weren't happy we won.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Last nights game was up there and very intense and good.

I would say the Leckner shot was the biggest though. I was at that game in Provo and sitting right behind the basket that Leckner took the shot at and made it.

There were a LOT of Wyoming fans there that year. Everyone was going crazy.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Lost Poke wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:41 am I should also mentioned that the 88 tourney game had a very satisfying side-benefit: we won it in Provo, with a huge number of BYU fans there rooting against us. They weren't happy we won.
Yeah, I actually had some Utah fans sitting right behind me and they were pricks. After Leckner made that shot I turned around and stuck my finger right in their face and started laughing at them cause they were talking poop the whole game.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
WyoGeezer
Buckaroo
Been liked: 2 times

I too was at the triple overtime game in Moby Gym (NOT Arena!). At halftime some CSU students paraded a big banner that said ... WE'D RATHER LOSE TO LARAMIE THAN LIVE THERE! Now that Fort Collins has been destroyed by over-population ... Well, what can I say? Laramie for me any day! ... Past or present! After the game, my friend and I went to a bar and talked about the game with some CSU fans that were there. A calm and pleasant conversation. The venom and hatred wasn't as well-developed as it is now.

At the WAC Tournament in Albuquerque, our seats were right across the aisle from the New Mexico fans. During the Semi-Final game, I thought there was gonna be violence between us and them. After we won, the Lobo fans completely changed. The went from threats to congratulations ... GREAT GAME!
GREAT WIN! NOW BEAT THE HELL OUT OF UTEP! Weird!

Speaking of CSU ... do you remembet the Banana Insanity?
nwpoke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

Well hell. I'm old. Both great games for sure. But there're more!

Either 78-79 or a year later, the beginning of the Brandenburg Ascendancy. Tubs, Garnett, Ollie and the rest, in the indoor rodeo arena on a portable court. Tubs took the PA to ask the crowd to quit throwing stuff - worse refs than Randy hall threatening to call technicals on the crowd. Triple OT. We may have run out of controlled substances, the game was so long and so intense. Our guys discovered We really were that good- We sent world-class whiner Danny ainge home to Provo with his tail between his legs. That may have been the genesis of the epithet of "you're despicable"; a tag awarded us by the leader of Bywho. Good Lord they hated losing to us egalitarian hicks. we wore that tag with pride thru at least the dembo years.

Our guys now are that good...all y'all that can, go support them. Meanwhile, I'll continue to watch the tube annoy my neighbors, and grin all the while. Go pokes!
Lost Poke
Cowpoke

nwpoke wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:00 pm Well hell. I'm old. Both great games for sure. But there're more!

Either 78-79 or a year later, the beginning of the Brandenburg Ascendancy. Tubs, Garnett, Ollie and the rest, in the indoor rodeo arena on a portable court. Tubs took the PA to ask the crowd to quit throwing stuff - worse refs than Randy hall threatening to call technicals on the crowd. Triple OT. We may have run out of controlled substances, the game was so long and so intense. Our guys discovered We really were that good- We sent world-class whiner Danny ainge home to Provo with his tail between his legs. That may have been the genesis of the epithet of "you're despicable"; a tag awarded us by the leader of Bywho. Good Lord they hated losing to us egalitarian hicks. we wore that tag with pride thru at least the dembo years.

Our guys now are that good...all y'all that can, go support them. Meanwhile, I'll continue to watch the tube annoy my neighbors, and grin all the while. Go pokes!
Our car didn't have a radio, but it was in the shop. So we had borrowed one from a friend that DID have a radio (and and 8-track....), so mom was listening to the game as we were driving. Larry B was trying to cover up the crowd sounds, but eventually mom turned it off to protect little ears....good times.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

WyoGeezer wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:25 am Speaking of CSU ... do you remembet the Banana Insanity?
I NEVER heard of this!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!