It's nut crunch time!

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 61 times

Who thought with three weeks of play remaining that Wyoming would be in sole possession of #1 in the MWC conference?...not me. But here we are and it feels good.

It feels like the MWC, 1-9 is a hot opponent or a cold night away from losing any game. There are no teams that can withstand a key injury or a star player getting hometowned into foul trouble either. The pokes have had all of those happen at one point or another and have come out on top...but it's been in nail-biting fashion.

The race for the MWC regular season title looks like it is a three-horse race between Wyoming, BSU, and CSU. SDSU is waiting in the wings with only three losses (same as CSU) but they need some chaos to happen to vault to the top. Of the remaining schedules of the top three teams, each team has two games against top four MWC opponents. CSU has both of them at home and have the fewest remaining games. Wyoming and BSU have one at home and one on the road. Wyoming has the most games remaining (i.e. the most chances to trip up). How many losses will the MWC regular season champion have? Of those three teams ... I think CSU has the highest chances of not taking another loss. I see BSU and Wyoming both taking at least one more loss and maybe two. If Wyoming or BSU take three losses I think that puts them out of contention. I put the over/under on losses for the winner of the conference at 3. This means that CSU has the least margin for error but also the easiest path. Wyoming obviously has the most control over their destiny but it's a winding road.

Pole position is an uneasy and unfamiliar place for this pokes fan. Being the top means a target on your back. Linder and this team have done marvelously so far and I'm enjoying the ride.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

To be the best, you have to beat the best. Go get em Pokes. Give them all the help you can CowPoke fans.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

WYCowboy wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:14 am To be the best, you have to beat the best. Go get em Pokes. Give them all the help you can CowPoke fans.
Indeed...I wish we could take over Moby as we've done in the past but the rams are having a pretty good attendance year.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

307bball wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:53 am
WYCowboy wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:14 am To be the best, you have to beat the best. Go get em Pokes. Give them all the help you can CowPoke fans.
Indeed...I wish we could take over Moby as we've done in the past but the rams are having a pretty good attendance year.
The Wyoming game is already sold out for Moby. We just need to go in there and beat them.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Beat the Bozos 1st and foremost!!! 1 at a time, Mashburn worries me
aranderson
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

We make it through this week without a loss we are in a very very good position to tie for the title or take it outright. The scariest game in my opinion we have left other than CSU is at UNLV. I firmly believe we hold serve at home and those two would be our biggest games with hiccup possibilities. Not saying the PIT won't be tough, but I think our boys are ready for that. UNLV and Moby are a whole other animal. At worst I believe we finish 26-5 at best we sweep the rest of the season and win the conference outright and go 28-3. Two wins at the tourney and someone gets us in the finals we finish either 28-6, or at best 30-4. I'm getting way ahead here but it's hard not to look at the so many ways this could go and the heights this team could climb to.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

aranderson wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:02 pm We make it through this week without a loss we are in a very very good position to tie for the title or take it outright. The scariest game in my opinion we have left other than CSU is at UNLV. I firmly believe we hold serve at home and those two would be our biggest games with hiccup possibilities. Not saying the PIT won't be tough, but I think our boys are ready for that. UNLV and Moby are a whole other animal. At worst I believe we finish 26-5 at best we sweep the rest of the season and win the conference outright and go 28-3. Two wins at the tourney and someone gets us in the finals we finish either 28-6, or at best 30-4. I'm getting way ahead here but it's hard not to look at the so many ways this could go and the heights this team could climb to.
I agree with everything you said. We should beat everyone on the remaining schedule if we play up to are capability with the only 2 losses possibly being at CSU and at UNLV. We could sweep or we could lose those 2.

I would say we can probably beat UNLV but beating CSU in Moby this year won’t be easy.

Then win at least one game in the tournament and we are good.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 141 times

My gut says we drop the game in fort fart but win the rest. If we've truly arrived, we'll demolish a not good New Mexico team at the pit. I think it'll be too close for comfort. They've won a few games so they might be feeling good about themselves
W-Y, Until I Die!
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

Better take care of New Mexico or ranking and seeding is as good as gone.
aranderson
Cowpoke

Wyo2dal wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:17 am Better take care of New Mexico or ranking and seeding is as good as gone.
Our ranking is as good as gone if we lose to CSU. We have no margin for error to keep it. We lose at all it's gone. I could be wrong only by the fact that CSU isn't far behind in the rankings. Also if this team truly has arrived and doesn't take another loss in the regular season, and with 3 games against Quad 1 and 2, we could climb as high as top 15 in my opinion. But yes get by New Mexico first and let the dreaming continue.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

Good discussion...love thinking of the possibilities! Here are my thoughts on the regular season.

Scenario #1: Win out...simple, elegant, dominant. Winning out would put this year into the all-time category for the pokes. Would probably result in the best seed in the big dance Wyoming has ever gotten depending on how the conference tournament goes.

Scenario #2: Lose to CSewe.... Still a great season. Still win the conference (i think...If BSU wins out would we not tie?) Still the possibility of a great seed with a good MWC tournament showing.

Scenario #3: Lose 2+ games... This scenario has a lot of range. With just two losses I think we are in the mix for the conference title but would most likely be tied with somebody. Three or more losses drops us from the respect we are getting nationally and indicate that we peaked early. I don't think we lose three though.

Obviously I want #1. CSU seems to have something cooking right now though.

Keep the mojo going Pokes! LETS GO!!!!!
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

Wyoming Highest and Lowest seed and NCAA Tournament History

1981 : 5 seed Lost round of 32

1988 : 7 seed Lost round of 64

1982 : 8 seed Lost round of 32

2002 : 11 seed Lost round of 32

1987 : 12 seed Lost Sweet Sixteen

2015 : 12 seed Lost round of 64

No seeding :

1941 lost in Elite 8

1943 National Champions

1947 Lost Elite 8

1948 Lost Elite 8

1949 Lost Elite 8

1952 Lost Elite 8

1953 Lost Sweet Sixteen

1958 Lost round of 24

1967 Lost Sweet Sixteen

Highest Seed a 5

Lowest seed a 12

307bball
WyoNation Addict

Ok..the first test in "nut crunch time" is in...aaaaaand it's a fail. We finally got burned by stuff that I think we all saw in bits and pieces. Maldo really played poorly...his tendency to turn it over at times really took off in the game tonight. This team has some great cohesion but they cannot defend slashing guards to save their lives. I actually think we have a better chance of beating CSU then we do going to Vegas and beating UNLV. I think we match them better.

Well...nice to get ranked...and then get beat..
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

I called for us to go 5-3 our last 8 with losses

@UNM(check)
@Dopey, er CSU
@UNLV
To finish 25-6, 14-4
Although NONE of em will be easy. Hold serve at home, 4 more, 2 away, those are losses, but sure hope Im wrong.....Beat the Zooomies to get it started again
307bball
WyoNation Addict

stymeman wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:15 am I called for us to go 5-3 our last 8 with losses

@UNM(check)
@Dopey, er CSU
@UNLV
To finish 25-6, 14-4
Although NONE of em will be easy. Hold serve at home, 4 more, 2 away, those are losses, but sure hope Im wrong.....Beat the Zooomies to get it started again
In my blackened and scarred Cowboy fan heart I read your prediction and knew you were right but I didn't want to believe it. I actually think it's possible we beat CSU and lose at UNLV.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

307bball wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:01 am
stymeman wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:15 am I called for us to go 5-3 our last 8 with losses

@UNM(check)
@Dopey, er CSU
@UNLV
To finish 25-6, 14-4
In my blackened and scarred Cowboy fan heart I read your prediction and knew you were right but I didn't want to believe it. I actually think it's possible we beat CSU and lose at UNLV.
San Diego State is playing very well right now. Fresno is a good team that will want revenge. This team could go anywhere from 2-5 to 5-2 over the final 7 games.

I don’t think the wheels will fall off but we have all seen that story before. I’ll predict a 4-3 finish which puts us squarely in the bubble mix heading into the MWCT.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:16 am
307bball wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:01 am

@UNM(check)
@Dopey, er CSU
@UNLV
To finish 25-6, 14-4
San Diego State is playing very well right now. Fresno is a good team that will want revenge. This team could go anywhere from 2-5 to 5-2 over the final 7 games.

I don’t think the wheels will fall off but we have all seen that story before. I’ll predict a 4-3 finish which puts us squarely in the bubble mix heading into the MWCT.
I feel like we are all abused spouses preparing to re-traumatized. What must fans of top notch programs feel like?