ACS!! BEST EVER?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 238 times

It is crazy saying things like 'best ever' QB at wyoming as a freshman...but SERIOUSLY! Since I have been closely following Wyoming football (Wallwork-present), we have never had a QB that literally carried the team on his shoulders like this kid.

I hope every potential recruit saw this game and saw that with a few more pieces this team can be very SPECIAL!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

OrediggerPoke wrote:It is crazy saying things like 'best ever' QB at wyoming as a freshman...but SERIOUSLY! Since I have been closely following Wyoming football (Wallwork-present), we have never had a QB that literally carried the team on his shoulders like this kid.

I hope every potential recruit saw this game and saw that with a few more pieces this team can be very SPECIAL!
I really hope there were some offensive linemen that saw how awful our current line is at blocking and realized that they can come and play as true freshmen. That would be pretty sweet. :popcorn:
gbpoke
Cowpoke

OrediggerPoke wrote:It is crazy saying things like 'best ever' QB at wyoming as a freshman...but SERIOUSLY! Since I have been closely following Wyoming football (Wallwork-present), we have never had a QB that literally carried the team on his shoulders like this kid.

He certainly is a different breed of QB than what we've had in Laramie for the last 15-20 years. He certainly may be one of the best ever freshmen QB that have come through here. I'm not sure if the likes of Welniak or Burnett played as freshmen or not. I think Welniak only started as a Junior and Senior. We also had a string of JC QBs come through as well like Corontzos and I think Wallwork as well. Other than Sween 4 seasons ago I can't think of any freshmen that have started for the Pokes in recent memory.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

No I mean, regardless of class, I think ACS has carried this team more than any other QB for any season that I have seen at UW. How many wins do we really have this year without ACS?
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

OrediggerPoke wrote:No I mean, regardless of class, I think ACS has carried this team more than any other QB for any season that I have seen at UW. How many wins do we really have this year without ACS?
1 or 2. Maybe 3.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

Everyone loved Sween after his Fr. year, lets let ACS earn it over his career before we crown him best-ever. He needs a conference championship for that in my book, but this is a great first step.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 317 times
Been liked: 124 times

calpoke25 wrote:Everyone loved Sween after his Fr. year, lets let ACS earn it over his career before we crown him best-ever. He needs a conference championship for that in my book, but this is a great first step.
Completely agree. It is go time now...time to really step it up and make things happen. Avoiding the sophmore slump will be step number 1.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote:
calpoke25 wrote:Everyone loved Sween after his Fr. year, lets let ACS earn it over his career before we crown him best-ever. He needs a conference championship for that in my book, but this is a great first step.
Completely agree. It is go time now...time to really step it up and make things happen. Avoiding the sophmore slump will be step number 1.
Considering how many difference makers we've recruited at wideout, I have a feeling he'll avoid that sophomore slump thing. :)
Snowman_55
Ranch Hand

Lets hope that he has some play makers at WR and some linemen that step up next year because ACS definitely has a lot of potential. I am not ready to call him the greatest QB. Though I will admit he has made more plays out of nothing than an QB I've seen at Wyoming.
Everyday I wake up and realize it's a great day because I am not a BYU or CSU fan! GO POKES!!!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

Snowman_55 wrote:Lets hope that he has some play makers at WR and some linemen that step up next year because ACS definitely has a lot of potential. I am not ready to call him the greatest QB. Though I will admit he has made more plays out of nothing than an QB I've seen at Wyoming.
Just watching Ogbonna in that last Snow College game, I'm confident that we have at least one playmaker. Anthony Amos looks very promising in this video as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q27jUMFozAc

Look at the first catch and how he accelerates from a dead stop after breaking that last tackle to still outrun the last would-be tackle.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times

There is no doubt we have a solid QB to build this team on, but we have some weaknesses and holes to fill now. The Oline needs to improve and the Dline loses all the starters. I believe DC & English would like to go back to the 4 - 3 Dline, so that means we need some Dlinemen. The cupboard is not completely bare though, and it's looking like this coaching staff knows how to recruit (the New Mexico Bowl isn't going to hurt either). The MWC is getting stronger from top to bottom very fast, a very tough schedule, and like McP said, we don't want a sophomore slump. Several posters on the MWC board from the top 3 teams in the MWC have said after the New Mexico Bowl win that Wyoming will not finish higher than 5th next year and are at least a couple years away from knocking one of the top 3 out. What does that sound like to you? I know one thing, we will have at least 13 talented and experienced sophomores here next year, and unless DC and his staff leave, we will have a coaching staff that knows how to coach and win.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

WYCowboy wrote:There is no doubt we have a solid QB to build this team on, but we have some weaknesses and holes to fill now. The Oline needs to improve and the Dline loses all the starters. I believe DC & English would like to go back to the 4 - 3 Dline, so that means we need some Dlinemen. The cupboard is not completely bare though, and it's looking like this coaching staff knows how to recruit (the New Mexico Bowl isn't going to hurt either). The MWC is getting stronger from top to bottom very fast, a very tough schedule, and like McP said, we don't want a sophomore slump. Several posters on the MWC board from the top 3 teams in the MWC have said after the New Mexico Bowl win that Wyoming will not finish higher than 5th next year and are at least a couple years away from knocking one of the top 3 out. What does that sound like to you? I know one thing, we will have at least 13 talented and experienced sophomores here next year, and unless DC and his staff leave, we will have a coaching staff that knows how to coach and win.
I'm thinking that we might be able to knock AFA to 5th next year and take over 4th. As AFA is really good against the Rush, but has shown problems with the pass. And with several solid WR's coming in next season, I think we are going to at least be able to do that.
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

Not sure if he is the best ever, but he sure is to my son. I think we will take this photo and put it on a gold shirt with ACS over the photo, and IS THE BEST under the photo, in brown lettering. We will probably get a helmet display case to put his signed hat in along with a photo of them together with the hat. My son wants a poster for his room made out of it as well.

I've been griping all year about not getting photos with the team, well I guess all we had to do was drive to NM for it, well worth it. I still wish we could have gotten some with the seniors but ACS was actually easier to get to in the crowd, and my son was very motivated. Awesome, Awesome weekend!
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
gbpoke
Cowpoke

Fullback41 wrote:Not sure if he is the best ever, but he sure is to my son. I think we will take this photo and put it on a gold shirt with ACS over the photo, and IS THE BEST under the photo, in brown lettering. We will probably get a helmet display case to put his signed hat in along with a photo of them together with the hat. My son wants a poster for his room made out of it as well.

I've been griping all year about not getting photos with the team, well I guess all we had to do was drive to NM for it, well worth it. I still wish we could have gotten some with the seniors but ACS was actually easier to get to in the crowd, and my son was very motivated. Awesome, Awesome weekend!

Totally awesome story! Great picture too.
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy

gbpoke wrote:
Fullback41 wrote:Not sure if he is the best ever, but he sure is to my son. I think we will take this photo and put it on a gold shirt with ACS over the photo, and IS THE BEST under the photo, in brown lettering. We will probably get a helmet display case to put his signed hat in along with a photo of them together with the hat. My son wants a poster for his room made out of it as well.

Totally awesome story! Great picture too.
GREAT PIC!!!!!!

PS: I think AFA and UU are ours next year. :winky:
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

That is an awesome picture and story!

I still stand by my belief that no QB at UW (since at least before wallwork) has meant more to the team in a single season than ACS. While sophmore slumps and injuries are very possible, for this year, he really carried the team.
Dread_Pirate_Cowboy
Ranch Hand

The numbers lie about ACS. 201 passing and 71 rushing don't show how many times he got 6 yards out of nothing when he had to have 5. Great game and good season no doubt.

BUT, Randy Welniak was better. Not saying ACS won't get there because I think he will. Welniak only started his senior season due to injuries, etc., and pretty much single handedly lead WYO to an undefeated WAC season (which was a rarety back then for any WAC team). Randy was very much in the same role as ACS in that he'd scramble to make the first downs whenever we just had to have it. Welniak would have been the prototype spread offense QB if there was such a thing back then. Don't forget that Welniak's team was picked to finish middle of the road as it had lost its QB and top two recievers from the previous year's WAC championship team.

Also fyi, Corontzos was a 3 year starter at UW and not a JC player. Sween was great as a freshman then got screwed up the longer he played under Glenn's OC's. Don't think that will happen with DC and ACS. Big difference on the sideline between some used car salesman screaming at you non-stop and a coach who tries to keep your head in the game and keep you up.
"Good?...Bad?.....I'm the guy with the Gun!" -- Ash Williams
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 115 times

Almost the same story with my cousin's son at the Border War. ACS is a class act, and we are damn lucky to have a kid like him leading the way for our team!
http://wyomingcowboysblog.com/2009/11/2 ... /#comments
Pittsburgh Nellie
Ranch Hand

Here I thought my story was an anomaly, but it seems to be the norm with ACS.

Here it was after the Bowl game. Espn interviewed him, he was getting swarmed by people and he stopped everything to get a picture with 5 year old son. Then, he also happened to be on the plane ride with me from ABQ to PHX. He was so classy and humble. Him and Ian Watts were both on the flight. The Watts family looked like a good ol' American family. Seemed very down-to-earth and friendly.

I have some great pictures I need to post. That weekend was so memorable. People can hate on Wyo all they want, but that weekend coming together as friends from all over was a blast.

I have since come home and watched the replay of the game. I can honestly say I have never seen a team play with more heart than the Pokes did. The defensive stepped up when they had to. Unrein's strip of the ball was un....real. The D line stuffing them 4 times was unreal. No one has ever done that to Matthews.

I am already excited for next year. We still have steps to take in order to break into the "top tier" of the MWC, but we are on the right path.
gbpoke
Cowpoke

Dread_Pirate_Cowboy wrote:
Also fyi, Corontzos was a 3 year starter at UW and not a JC player.

I don't know who I was thinking about. I thought he was, but I also thought he was later than he was too. He was right after Welniak. Was Walwork a JC? Good grief not sure what I was thinking. Thanks for that correction.