All right, Utah State

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

Huge game this week against the Aggies.
- Homecoming
- Need to win to stay in the division race
-A possibility we'll face Levi Williams as the starting QB
- Rivalry

Their starting QB (who started the year as second string), Legas, got a concussion last week. I wonder if he will be back. Williams came in and then left with an ankle injury and their fourth stringer came in and looked pretty good. I would prefer to face a hobbled Williams out of any of them.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:54 am Huge game this week against the Aggies.
- Homecoming
- Need to win to stay in the division race
-A possibility we'll face Levi Williams as the starting QB
- Rivalry

Their starting QB (who started the year as second string), Legas, got a concussion last week. I wonder if he will be back. Williams came in and then left with an ankle injury and their fourth stringer came in and looked pretty good. I would prefer to face a hobbled Williams out of any of them.
I don't think Utah State will start Williams even if he is healthy. Bohl would have that box loaded and completely shut down WIlliams' legs.
sandiegopoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 15 times

I just see it as a must-win. They have been hot and we need to get hot. Go Pokes!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 115 times

I can't imagine what this feels like for Peasley or Williams. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 82 times

I know that TV determines when the game kicks off but 7:30 PM is not likely to help in person attendance. A huge part of home field advantage is a loud and rowdy crowd making noise.
aranderson
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

I really don't know what to expect in this game, however what I do expect is if they play their true freshman quarterback, our defense should eat him alive. One constant is we have a darn good defense, and I fully expect our guys to try and replicate last year's outcome. Especially if Peasley is on we should win. I'm worried but I feel a complete game finally coming.

Pokes 34
Aggies 10
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

aranderson wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:27 pm I really don't know what to expect in this game, however what I do expect is if they play their true freshman quarterback, our defense should eat him alive. One constant is we have a darn good defense, and I fully expect our guys to try and replicate last year's outcome. Especially if Peasley is on we should win. I'm worried but I feel a complete game finally coming.

Pokes 34
Aggies 10
I don't see this team blowing out anyone. The games against Northern Colorado and New Mexico were much closer than the scores and neither of those teams are any good.

I did have a chance to watch the USU-CSU game. That freshman QB is pretty talented. It will be a fight.
J-Bone
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 11 times

Weather looks decent, but a little windy. I’ll be bringing four people. Can’t wait!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

aranderson wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:27 pm One constant is we have a darn good defense
I don't believe this to be true. We have played weak competition to the say the least and here is how we stack up nationally in FBS on defense out of 130 FBS teams:

78th in Total Defense at 388 Yards per game
69th in scoring defense at 26.3 pts per game
80th in passing defense at 241 yards per game
73rd in rushing defense at 147 yards per game
99th in turnovers generated with just 8
71st at 3rd down defense allowing conversions 39 percent of the time
84th at 4th down defense allowing conversions 56 percent of the time

The only measurable stat that I say we are 'good' in is the 2 defensive touchdowns which ties us for 7th. I guess when the offense is 121 out 130 FBS teams in total offense, then our defense appears better because our offense is so bad.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

I did find a statistic where we are good! Penalties per game we are 6th at 4.14 per game.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 115 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:12 pm
aranderson wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:27 pm One constant is we have a darn good defense
I don't believe this to be true. We have played weak competition to the say the least and here is how we stack up nationally in FBS on defense out of 130 FBS teams:

The only measurable stat that I say we are 'good' in is the 2 defensive touchdowns which ties us for 7th. I guess when the offense is 121 out 130 FBS teams in total offense, then our defense appears better because our offense is so bad.
We are small, but we are slow! - the late John Deti
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 82 times

The ones that hurt the most are the lack of turnovers, passing yards allowed ,and 3rd down defense. In the past Wyoming has lived off of generating turnovers. Hopefully they will get a few this weekend.
aranderson
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

doreno5 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:35 pm

The ones that hurt the most are the lack of turnovers, passing yards allowed ,and 3rd down defense. In the past Wyoming has lived off of generating turnovers. Hopefully they will get a few this weekend.
You can say what want about who we have played, however the teams we have lost to skewed the stats and two of the three are clearly the best teams we will see all season. Our defense is far better than the stats dictate and you are giving them credit for. However that is truly my opinion on the latter part of my statement.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

The offense needs to have a great game
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

aranderson wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:49 pm
doreno5 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:35 pm

You can say what want about who we have played, however the teams we have lost to skewed the stats and two of the three are clearly the best teams we will see all season. Our defense is far better than the stats dictate and you are giving them credit for. However that is truly my opinion on the latter part of my statement.
It works both ways. We have played 2 really bad teams too that have skewed the stats favorably to our defense (New Mexico and Northern Colorado). New Mexico has arguably the worst offense in the entire country.

Now - I do think our defense is a bit better than stats show largely because our offense has been unable to sustain long drives for the most part leaving the defense on the field for long periods. With a better offense, our defensive stats would look better. That said, anyone that has watched this secondary knows it is one of the worst (of not the worst) during Bohl’s tenure. The secondary is a major weak point.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:59 pm The offense needs to have a great game
A repeat of last year’s USU game would be welcome!

I agree, the offense is the key here.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 64 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:43 pm
aranderson wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:27 pm I really don't know what to expect in this game, however what I do expect is if they play their true freshman quarterback, our defense should eat him alive. One constant is we have a darn good defense, and I fully expect our guys to try and replicate last year's outcome. Especially if Peasley is on we should win. I'm worried but I feel a complete game finally coming.

Pokes 34
Aggies 10
I don't see this team blowing out anyone. The games against Northern Colorado and New Mexico were much closer than the scores and neither of those teams are any good.

I did have a chance to watch the USU-CSU game. That freshman QB is pretty talented. It will be a fight.
No offense, but that freshman qb was nothing to write home about. He was 3-9 for 40 yards and he ran for 40 yards. He led them on 1 scoring drive the last 2 1/2 quarters of the game. He threw behind receivers, and he fell down at least twice without anyone touching him. If he's their starter, we have very little to worry about.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

Pokes opened as a 3.5 point favorite
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

bladerunnr wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:38 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:43 pm

Pokes 34
Aggies 10

No offense, but that freshman qb was nothing to write home about. He was 3-9 for 40 yards and he ran for 40 yards. He led them on 1 scoring drive the last 2 1/2 quarters of the game. He threw behind receivers, and he fell down at least twice without anyone touching him. If he's their starter, we have very little to worry about.
Pretty much every freshman is going to struggle the first time out. Especially when he literally had ZERO reps in practice!

He had a decent release with a strong arm and is very mobile. He reminds me of Cordeiro from SJSU. He will be much better than Levi Williams IMO.

I remember when we played Hawaii several years ago and everyone was like we got this…Hawaii is starting a freshman…
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 12 times

The Pokes aren't playing for much this Saturday night. The only thing they could possibly be playing for is to maintain their chance to win the Mountain Division and head back to the MWC championship game for the first time since 2016.

Godbout not playing.

Eckler will be back.

Pokes 30
USU 20