What we're going to have to do to retain our staff this year....

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

PokeTransplant wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:45 pm
flyfishwyo wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:38 am Coaches don't stay because of the support they get in good years. They stay because of the support they get in down years.
What about performance in a year where they bring back 95% of the team and commence to Sh#t the bed? Is that a decent metric of coaching performance? Not saying Linder has to go, but WTF? This team was supposedly stacked with depth and talent and uh....not so much....
I think it has become evident that the supposed high level of incoming talent was smoke and mirrors. Not saying Linder doesn't deserve some blame...but it would be blame for bringing in a bunch of sixth man level talent more than bad coaching.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

307bball wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:40 am

What about performance in a year where they bring back 95% of the team and commence to Sh#t the bed? Is that a decent metric of coaching performance? Not saying Linder has to go, but WTF? This team was supposedly stacked with depth and talent and uh....not so much....
I think it has become evident that the supposed high level of incoming talent was smoke and mirrors. Not saying Linder doesn't deserve some blame...but it would be blame for bringing in a bunch of sixth man level talent more than bad coaching.
Seems like bad coaching, too. He put out a much better product at Northern Colorado with probably similar talent to what is currently on the floor now. He hasn't gotten it figured it out yet. It's past time to get things figured out.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:10 am

Seems like bad coaching, too. He put out a much better product at Northern Colorado with probably similar talent to what is currently on the floor now. He hasn't gotten it figured it out yet. It's past time to get things figured out.
Fair enough...Having watched them...I am moving the needle towards this being a low talent team outside of Maldo and Ike.

I still think Linder is a good coach and his not making huge mistakes. This is not like What became obvious with Edwards with an inability to direct the team. I can kind of see what they are trying to do on offense but the defense is really average and the rebounding has been just bad. If they don't hit shots, it's kind of going to go poorly. My guess is that Linder thinks these guys can shoot so he's trying to get more shots up. He's either wrong or we are in the midst of a statistical anomaly from the standpoint of field goal percentage.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

This entire team was built around Ike and, to a lesser extent, Maldonado. They practiced all offseason with that personnel. They built their identity around that group. The rug got yanked out just before the season started.

I feel like Linder is adjusting as best he can. He's missing 2 all-conference players. Show me a team in the league that wouldn't struggle with that.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

WYO1016 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:33 pm
This entire team was built around Ike and, to a lesser extent, Maldonado. They practiced all offseason with that personnel. They built their identity around that group. The rug got yanked out just before the season started.

I feel like Linder is adjusting as best he can. He's missing 2 all-conference players. Show me a team in the league that wouldn't struggle with that.
CSU lost Roddy and Stevens and their season didn't go down the crapper entirely... unlike ours.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:41 pm
WYO1016 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:33 pm

CSU lost Roddy and Stevens and their season didn't go down the crapper entirely... unlike ours.
Stevens is still with them isn't he? Even so...I think Ike/Maldo > Roddy/Stevens... even if CSU supporting cast is better than our supporting cast (which is unfortunately true)...Basketball is decided more by the top line talent than the supporting cast.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

307bball wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:53 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:41 pm
Stevens is still with them isn't he? Even so...I think Ike/Maldo > Roddy/Stevens... even if CSU supporting cast is better than our supporting cast (which is unfortunately true)...Basketball is decided more by the top line talent than the supporting cast.
Stevens was out until like last week. They were able to not completely suck ass without him. I truly thought that would be us without Ike. but we found a way to lose even with Maldo IN the lineup! It's been a bitter disappointment. Our team is truly Allen Edwards level. Just stand around and jack a three late in the shot clock. Yippee!
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 50 times

flyfishwyo wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:38 am Coaches don't stay because of the support they get in good years. They stay because of the support they get in down years.
Just keep on bitching and not showing up for games. Then, when things turn around jump back on the bandwagon. Let's see what that gets us.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 115 times

flyfishwyo wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:23 pm

Just keep on bitching and not showing up for games. Then, when things turn around jump back on the bandwagon. Let's see what that gets us.
^ This ^

We go from "how are we ever going to keep Linder at Wyoming" to this stuff. As someone mentioned above, the team was built around Ike...and when he went down with the injury, it is like starting all over with a new philosophy and direction. I still believe come March 12th, we will be celebrating a championship.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
307bball
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:28 am

^ This ^

We go from "how are we ever going to keep Linder at Wyoming" to this stuff. As someone mentioned above, the team was built around Ike...and when he went down with the injury, it is like starting all over with a new philosophy and direction. I still believe come March 12th, we will be celebrating a championship.
No basketball team "deserves" our patronage. I'm a degenerate basketball fan and will go watch marginal talent just to get my fix but for schools like Wyoming....you win or you play in front of empty stadiums...that's just reality.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand

307bball wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:44 pm

^ This ^

No basketball team "deserves" our patronage. I'm a degenerate basketball fan and will go watch marginal talent just to get my fix but for schools like Wyoming....you win or you play in front of empty stadiums...that's just reality.
We, as fans, don't "deserve" a conference championship. In college athletics, we vote with our attention. If we want better, then we show up even when the team loses some games. We trust that the coaches we hire are doing their best to win more games. They trust us to support the program so they can recruit more talent and develop players. When that trust breaks down, somebody moves on.

I trust Linder and DeWeese are going to get it figured out. Probably won't be a conference championship kind of year, but I'd rather have him here than somewhere else in the MWC. I have questions about why we aren't guarding the 3 point line like we have in the last 2 years. I don't know where our offense is going to come from without Ike, Jeffries, and sometimes Maldo. I still can't tell which players and combinations give us the best chance to win. But the sky isn't falling. I trust Linder and Co are trying to figure it out. He's done it before. This isn't Edwards or Schroyer. I'm going to lower my expectations for the season and continue to watch this unfold.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

The way we’re playing, I can barely watch them on tv. You think people going to drop a wad of cash?
W-Y, Until I Die!
307bball
WyoNation Addict

flyfishwyo wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:34 pm We, as fans, don't "deserve" a conference championship. In college athletics, we vote with our attention. If we want better, then we show up even when the team loses some games. We trust that the coaches we hire are doing their best to win more games. They trust us to support the program so they can recruit more talent and develop players. When that trust breaks down, somebody moves on.

I trust Linder and DeWeese are going to get it figured out. Probably won't be a conference championship kind of year, but I'd rather have him here than somewhere else in the MWC. I have questions about why we aren't guarding the 3 point line like we have in the last 2 years. I don't know where our offense is going to come from without Ike, Jeffries, and sometimes Maldo. I still can't tell which players and combinations give us the best chance to win. But the sky isn't falling. I trust Linder and Co are trying to figure it out. He's done it before. This isn't Edwards or Schroyer. I'm going to lower my expectations for the season and continue to watch this unfold.
Meh... Like I said... When it comes to college basketball, I'm a hopeless degenerate, but make no mistake... The product so far this season will have very few people interested in plunking down thier cash and traveling to watch it.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

307bball wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:25 pm
flyfishwyo wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:34 pm We, as fans, don't "deserve" a conference championship. In college athletics, we vote with our attention. If we want better, then we show up even when the team loses some games. We trust that the coaches we hire are doing their best to win more games. They trust us to support the program so they can recruit more talent and develop players. When that trust breaks down, somebody moves on.

Meh... Like I said... When it comes to college basketball, I'm a hopeless degenerate, but make no mistake... The product so far this season will have very few people interested in plunking down thier cash and traveling to watch it.
The product and hustle tonight was by far the best all season IMO.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand

I listened to Linder's interview on my way home from the game tonight. He asked for some fan support. The crowd was pretty thin. He even mentioned how much it means to the players and coaches when they know the fans are behind them when they're struggling.

He didn't ask for blind allegiance. Just asked for fans to show up and support the team. They played better overall than the last few games. Still some rough spots and plenty of things to work on, but better.

Not everyone on this board can make every game. I get that. I miss a few every year and I live in Laramie. If you want Linder to stay and the program to get better players, then get here when you can. Attendance isn't everything, but it's a hell of a lot easier to keep players and coaches when there are people in the gym watching games. This team is worth it.

Otherwise, keep bitching and not showing up and see where that gets us.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:45 pm

Yeah, I agree. The defense was a little tighter around the arc. We didn't shoot very well and still won. Reynolds is becoming a scoring threat.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

flyfishwyo wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:10 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:45 pm

Yeah, I agree. The defense was a little tighter around the arc. We didn't shoot very well and still won. Reynolds is becoming a scoring threat.
We competed, and our team played hard. Bench and starter rotation was weird...
Dear Karma,

McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Well, after 12 games, going 5 & 7, not sure this is a concern any longer (retaining the staff). You never know...
Dear Karma,

PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 12 times

^ This ^

Planning around a single point of failure is no plan. There was no guarantee that Ike (or any player, for that matter) would remain healthy for the entire season. I can see people being upset about the level of support (butts in seats) that has been lacking. Programs that build a tradition of winning programs get to have that complaint when people don't show for a "down" year. UW sports doesn't have that luxury. Year after year of coach speak on "the most depth we have had", "the most mature team", "returning xx% of our scoring", "NCAA team -last year" means jack when you cannot follow through either as a coach, or as a player. Are the players not gelling, or is it a coaching thing? Those are two different things. Either players are not work together and accepting their roles and understand the overall philosophy of the coaches vision, or the coaches are not putting the right pieces in place that have shown the ability to execute the plan. Or have not sufficiently relayed/taught the plan to the new pieces. And I'll add, putting the ball in Maldo's hands for him to dribble away the shot clock to chuck up something or turn it over in the lane while 4 others watch is not a solid plan.

Anywho, I really do hope that this team does something special during the conference schedule to show me the errors of my ways. Because right now, I'm not seeing much to get excited about.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

PokeTransplant wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:14 pm

^ This ^

Planning around a single point of failure is no plan. There was no guarantee that Ike (or any player, for that matter) would remain healthy for the entire season. I can see people being upset about the level of support (butts in seats) that has been lacking. Programs that build a tradition of winning programs get to have that complaint when people don't show for a "down" year. UW sports doesn't have that luxury. Year after year of coach speak on "the most depth we have had", "the most mature team", "returning xx% of our scoring", "NCAA team -last year" means jack when you cannot follow through either as a coach, or as a player. Are the players not gelling, or is it a coaching thing? Those are two different things. Either players are not work together and accepting their roles and understand the overall philosophy of the coaches vision, or the coaches are not putting the right pieces in place that have shown the ability to execute the plan. Or have not sufficiently relayed/taught the plan to the new pieces. And I'll add, putting the ball in Maldo's hands for him to dribble away the shot clock to chuck up something or turn it over in the lane while 4 others watch is not a solid plan.

Anywho, I really do hope that this team does something special during the conference schedule to show me the errors of my ways. Because right now, I'm not seeing much to get excited about.
"That's a bingo!"

If the plan for the entire season was dependent upon a single player, it's pretty poor planning. I recognize the talent and experience Ike brings, but no executive goes into something without a pretty solid plan b. If the players' collective ability without him is this bad, it's easy to see how the rest of the team might actually subtract from his ability to be that guy. Last I checked, it IS a team sport.

I guess we'll see what happens as we limp forward...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory