Transfers...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

doreno5 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:21 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:53 am CJ Coldon foregoes his last year at OU to enter NFL draft. I’ll be interested to see where he goes. His announcement was positive toward Wyoming and commented on how Wyoming took in a ‘young black man’ and treated him like family.
With the portal Wyoming and most of the rest of the conference have basically become the equivalent of minor league baseball for the Power 5 conferences. The Mountain West is now AA or AAA baseball.
Yes this is the reality.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Lots of QBs will make more money in college than being drafted in the 5-7th rounds or Undrafted FA.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

In the nfl if he ever starts he’ll probably say CJ Cordon, Oklahoma and not CJ Coldon Wyoming
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:36 pm In the nfl if he ever starts he’ll probably say CJ Cordon, Oklahoma and not CJ Coldon Wyoming
Since CJ Cordon never played at Wyoming or Oklahoma...that is probably not true :D

Joking aside though...That whole starting lineup in the NFL where they say where they are from is kind of a sneaky promotional tool for whatever school you played at. I mean...It's up to the players where they claim to be from pretty much, right?

As far as Coldon specifically, now that the stigma and penalty to transfer has been obliterated, the reasons that these guys leave programs can be completely trivial nowadays. Broke up with your girlfriend? well...then transfer. Don't like a professor? transfer. Students at Universities everywhere transfer all the time for less. I get it that college athletes have a different position but is that proper? I think the answer can be nuanced. Ari Wasserman wrote recently for the Athletic on the topic of what is going on at Michigan and rumors of violations:
The biggest con in the history of sports was the amateurism model.
I think I have come to agree with him. We are trained to view college athletes through a moral lens that is very outdated...
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

[/quote]
The biggest con in the history of sports was the amateurism model.[/quote][/i] I think I have come to agree with him. We are trained to view college athletes through a moral lens that is very outdated...
[/quote]

This is where Baseball got it right. Create a minor league system for players who want to take a professional route. Those players who want to develop and be a student athlete can take the College route. College was never intended to be a minor league system for Professional athletes. I get it, intentions and reality can be two very different things. The Ivy league made the right call back in the 80's. The NFL should have been required to create a minor league system and not use CFB for the purpose of feeding them all of their rosters.

What's going to end up happening with CFB is an implosion. When you bit the hand that feeds you it's ultimately going to fail. The rich will only get richer until it's maybe 10 teams that can compete, then 5, etc. How does that keep fan interest in CFB if only handful of teams have a chance?
I'm good for 3!
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 82 times

Cornpoke wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:00 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:53 am CJ Coldon foregoes his last year at OU to enter NFL draft. I’ll be interested to see where he goes. His announcement was positive toward Wyoming and commented on how Wyoming took in a ‘young black man’ and treated him like family.
If his goal was to get to the NFL he could surely do that at Wyoming. If he loves UW that much then stay. To Bohls credit he has put a lot of players in the NFL. Was it worth one year of NIL at OU and to also have to compete for a starting job? How much did he make?
Likely the difference between being a 6th or 7th round pick (Marcus Epps) or a undrafted free agent (Tashaun Gipson or Tyler Hall) and being a 3rd or 4th rounder.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

Cornpoke wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:32 am
This is where Baseball got it right. Create a minor league system for players who want to take a professional route. Those players who want to develop and be a student athlete can take the College route. College was never intended to be a minor league system for Professional athletes. I get it, intentions and reality can be two very different things. The Ivy league made the right call back in the 80's. The NFL should have been required to create a minor league system and not use CFB for the purpose of feeding them all of their rosters.

What's going to end up happening with CFB is an implosion. When you bit the hand that feeds you it's ultimately going to fail. The rich will only get richer until it's maybe 10 teams that can compete, then 5, etc. How does that keep fan interest in CFB if only handful of teams have a chance?
The baseball model is exactly what all NCAA sports and pro leagues should be using. Want to go pro right out of high school? Great! Have fun! Want to play a couple years before entering the draft? JUCO is here for it! Want to get a degree before you look for greener pastures? 4 year universities have your back.

If the NBA and NFL could agree that the draft requirements are fresh out of high school, after 2 years of playing college athletics (redshirts don't count), or after 4 years of playing in college this whole thing would be so much better.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

doreno5 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:00 am

If his goal was to get to the NFL he could surely do that at Wyoming. If he loves UW that much then stay. To Bohls credit he has put a lot of players in the NFL. Was it worth one year of NIL at OU and to also have to compete for a starting job? How much did he make?
Likely the difference between being a 6th or 7th round pick (Marcus Epps) or a undrafted free agent (Tashaun Gipson or Tyler Hall) and being a 3rd or 4th rounder.
Eh there is zero way to prove this.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 82 times

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:24 pm
Lets revisit after the draft. Chad Muma was drafted in the 3rd round and was the 7th LB picked. If he had gone to a power 5 school you can bet he would have gone higher in the draft.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

doreno5 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:53 pm
Lets revisit after the draft. Chad Muma was drafted in the 3rd round and was the 7th LB picked. If he had gone to a power 5 school you can bet he would have gone higher in the draft.
Why?
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

I don't agree. And further, does it matter outside of round 1? $$$$ is all the same.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Reality is that we don't play in big games compared to P5.

Youth and playing CFB is a fleeting moment in life. I'm sure some of these guys (nfl-level talent) want the rare opportunity to play on the biggest stage. If they have the talent, I honestly don't blame them. I get the commitment thing and love WYO, but would never begrudge someone for trying their craft at the highest level possible. If they don't make the nfl, football is most likely over after college.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Commits from JUCO defensive end Ethan Day and Vanderbilt grad transfer receiver Devin Boddie Jr.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Devin Boddie stats: https://vucommodores.com/roster/devin-boddie-jr/

Not much this year but more involved for Vandy last year. Looks like a decent depth addition for next year.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 119 times

This is a subjective opinion, which I disagree. You have no way to prove this.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

I don't really care who's in who's out until training camp and 1st game of the year, that's really when it counts in Year 10 for Bohl...Get Er Done!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

No. There’s no better place for borderline talent to play than Wyoming. If you’re not all MW, you probably not nfl prospect. You might not even be nfl talent being all MW, but if you get drafted and flake out, then you are money ahead . If a kid is definite nfl prospect, I could see where switching teams might help draft status.
W-Y, Until I Die!
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:15 pm Devin Boddie stats: https://vucommodores.com/roster/devin-boddie-jr/

Not much this year but more involved for Vandy last year. Looks like a decent depth addition for next year.
Dude must love to block.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

I know the Karen's on the board don't like this but....

Playing in front of 17k with the division championship on the line versus playing in front of 80-100k weekly.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Wyoming adds another JUCO commit. CB Tyrecus Davis.

I think a focus on JUCO transfers might be a good idea while everyone else fights over FBS transfers. Obtain real talent without the competition of pre transfer portal years for top JUCO players.