Wyoming Wrestling

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
rich22
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 6 times

wyosports wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:21 pm I find it funny when people voice their opinion and then throughout names to try and back up it up. I never talk with high school coaches, so I will not speak to that, but the former wrestler from Cheyenne that you say didn't like Branch made me laugh my ass off. (I just texted his dad your comments and will be happy to share his response.) I guess depending on the high school program you would get different thoughts on Branch. However, Gillette seems more than happy to send kids to wrestle for him, and unless things have changed Hastings seems to have a good relationship with him, just based on what I saw last week in Tulsa. It is tuff to compare wrestling with the other sports at UW when the Big 12 has 3 to 4 top 10 programs, and 3 to 4 more in the top 20. The MWC in football and basketball might have two legitimate top 20 teams in a year and both would be at the bottom on list. As someone pointed out in a different thread, UW admin had better start thinking outside the box or it will not matter what sport it is UW will have trouble keeping the top end players. The schools that have contracts with NIL companies use them mainly to help with their star players. (Football-Neyor, Basketball - IKE, Wrestling Buchanan) They find national companies to sponsor these types of players and pay their NIL contracts, and then help the University find local businesses and companies to help with your average starter. There are more and more schools that we compete against using these NIL companies to gain any advantage possible. Since we can't seem to beat them, then maybe we should join them!
I did say that it was "in my opinion". I don't know Bryce at all, so if you have spoken to his dad then you would know better than me by a long ways. He was and still is an awesome ambassador for UW. I wouldn't expect him to come out and say he didn't get along with a coach at any level but especially at UW. He transferred from NC state and he never spoke bad about anything there. He is too classy to do that. I just said in my opinion after watching him celebrate with coach Kyle and barely give Coach Branch a high five after each victory. After seeing their interactions throughout the years before and after press conferences, it gave me the vibe that they really didn't get along. Maybe that was just their relationship and I read to much into it. I guess I was wrong. I assumed too much and should not have mentioned his name in this conversation. I really would like to hear his Dad's comments though. Maybe it would change my mind about Coach Branch in general.

The point of all of my post is that I just don't see much improvement since 2019. I see a downward trajectory and it is very downward this year. I am not saying we have to Compete year in and year out with the Oklahoma State's of the world but I would think we could compete with NDSU, SDSU and Norther Iowa. This year we didn't. We lost 3-33, 3-32 and 3-42 to those 3 schools. It wasn't competitive. Oredigger's comment "However, what is giving me hope is the way the team competed at the Big 12s compared to the rest of the year. " gives me some hope as well. I hope that is a sign of things to come. Also, I think Gillette has sent 1 kid since 2019 to UW wrestling. I don't know if they had more that they could send to a D1 school so maybe they still like sending kids to UW. I am not sure but that isn't some overwhelming amount to prove your point. I think that might be the only Wyoming kid recruited since 2019 to UW.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

rich22 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:02 am
wyosports wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:21 pm I find it funny when people voice their opinion and then throughout names to try and back up it up. I never talk with high school coaches, so I will not speak to that, but the former wrestler from Cheyenne that you say didn't like Branch made me laugh my ass off. (I just texted his dad your comments and will be happy to share his response.) I guess depending on the high school program you would get different thoughts on Branch. However, Gillette seems more than happy to send kids to wrestle for him, and unless things have changed Hastings seems to have a good relationship with him, just based on what I saw last week in Tulsa. It is tuff to compare wrestling with the other sports at UW when the Big 12 has 3 to 4 top 10 programs, and 3 to 4 more in the top 20. The MWC in football and basketball might have two legitimate top 20 teams in a year and both would be at the bottom on list. As someone pointed out in a different thread, UW admin had better start thinking outside the box or it will not matter what sport it is UW will have trouble keeping the top end players. The schools that have contracts with NIL companies use them mainly to help with their star players. (Football-Neyor, Basketball - IKE, Wrestling Buchanan) They find national companies to sponsor these types of players and pay their NIL contracts, and then help the University find local businesses and companies to help with your average starter. There are more and more schools that we compete against using these NIL companies to gain any advantage possible. Since we can't seem to beat them, then maybe we should join them!
I did say that it was "in my opinion". I don't know Bryce at all, so if you have spoken to his dad then you would know better than me by a long ways. He was and still is an awesome ambassador for UW. I wouldn't expect him to come out and say he didn't get along with a coach at any level but especially at UW. He transferred from NC state and he never spoke bad about anything there. He is too classy to do that. I just said in my opinion after watching him celebrate with coach Kyle and barely give Coach Branch a high five after each victory. After seeing their interactions throughout the years before and after press conferences, it gave me the vibe that they really didn't get along. Maybe that was just their relationship and I read to much into it. I guess I was wrong. I assumed too much and should not have mentioned his name in this conversation. I really would like to hear his Dad's comments though. Maybe it would change my mind about Coach Branch in general.

The point of all of my post is that I just don't see much improvement since 2019. I see a downward trajectory and it is very downward this year. I am not saying we have to Compete year in and year out with the Oklahoma State's of the world but I would think we could compete with NDSU, SDSU and Norther Iowa. This year we didn't. We lost 3-33, 3-32 and 3-42 to those 3 schools. It wasn't competitive. Oredigger's comment "However, what is giving me hope is the way the team competed at the Big 12s compared to the rest of the year. " gives me some hope as well. I hope that is a sign of things to come. Also, I think Gillette has sent 1 kid since 2019 to UW wrestling. I don't know if they had more that they could send to a D1 school so maybe they still like sending kids to UW. I am not sure but that isn't some overwhelming amount to prove your point. I think that might be the only Wyoming kid recruited since 2019 to UW.
From Gillette over the last several years, we landed Terren Swartz, Warren Carr, Trevor Jeffries and Trent Olsen. Swartz has been a starter this year but probably not the results he would hope for. Carr is still with the program as far as I know. Jeffries had a few starts here and there (usually due to injuries) and I do believe stayed in the program for all of his eligibility. Olsen was expected to be a big signing but then was gone in a year.
wyosports
Buckaroo
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

My bad rich22, should have taken your comments as nothing more than your opinion from what you observed. By the way you are not 100% wrong about what you said, he did and still does really likes those two assistant coaches you mentioned. I think there was a period when Branch played the bad cop, and the assistants played the good cop. Maybe a little love and hate relationship at the time, but much respect from wrestler to coach. From what I have heard Branch has become softer over the last couple years and has changed the way he handles the kids. Only time will tell, but after 50 plus years of being a Cowboy fan the only way I can keep doing it is by telling myself wait until next year! Also, I believe the Catlin (HWT) kid from Gillette is coming next year. He took a visit to Nebraska and from what I have read was offered a scholarship.
rich22
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 6 times

wyosports wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:34 am My bad rich22, should have taken your comments as nothing more than your opinion from what you observed. By the way you are not 100% wrong about what you said, he did and still does really likes those two assistant coaches you mentioned. I think there was a period when Branch played the bad cop, and the assistants played the good cop. Maybe a little love and hate relationship at the time, but much respect from wrestler to coach. From what I have heard Branch has become softer over the last couple years and has changed the way he handles the kids. Only time will tell, but after 50 plus years of being a Cowboy fan the only way I can keep doing it is by telling myself wait until next year! Also, I believe the Catlin (HWT) kid from Gillette is coming next year. He took a visit to Nebraska and from what I have read was offered a scholarship.
Wyosports, I shouldn't have name dropped like that without the facts. You were right. Also, that makes sense about Bryce and Coach Branch and actually helps me root for Coach Branch more. From an outsiders perspective it was all adding up to me in my mind. I was hearing things here and there and assuming some things as well. Again, I hope Coach Branch turns it around and we compete again with the top teams in our conference. I think he was a great fit at Wyoming, I just don't know if he has this ship going in the right direction. I also know its going to be hard in all sports to keep kids happy 100% of the time.

That is awesome news about Catlin. I hope he does well. I think he will.

BTW I am usually a "wait until next year" type of guy. Brown and Gold glasses are pretty thick. Hopefully I am completely wrong and next year we see improvement.
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

Does this mean the Thunder Basin HW isn't coming??

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

303cowboy wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:09 am Does this mean the Thunder Basin HW isn't coming??

I would assume the TB hwt is coming too. We desperately need a hwt. Have to bring in multiple to find a good one.

I thought the Illinois kid we brought in last year might have stepped up, but not yet
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

wyosports wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:31 am Your list is very interesting and makes my point. Of all the people you listed only Bridges was a starter who could have returned for his fourth year, (went to law school and never wrestled again, not like he transferred.) Davidson lost his job to Buchanan who was a freshman at the time and new there was not a spot for him to wrestle at UW, transferred to Nebraska and finally broke the lineup this year as a HWT. Turner was removed from the team for repeated violations, and the others you listed never were starters. I have to laugh that you listed Hockett who transferred to OU, he now sits behind the best freshman 174 pounder in the country. (He got bad advise) Like I said before there have been kids who have left the program, but most of them new they would never have beat out the wrestlers in front of them. Most kids that wrestle do not want to train year-round to be part of the program for four years and never get the chance to compete. There is an old joke in wrestling that if you are not first, then you are last.
I forgot Tate Samuelson. He just pinned his guy in the first round.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 82 times

LawPoke wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:53 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:31 pm
Interesting. I only know a few people who have ever played hockey

The numbers I found were 40k high school hockey players vs 263k HS wrestlers
These were the articles I found. Again, this isn’t an exhaustive search.

https://sportseventsmediagroup.com/hock ... le-on-ice/

https://youth1.com/wrestling/wrestling- ... y-rise?amp
Speaking from the perspective of someone who wrestled in high school and never saw hockey game until my step-son started playing as a 11 year old, I would much rather watch a hockey game than a wrestling match. Wrestling is not a fan friendly sport, live hockey is far more exciting and interesting than any of the other major sports. It is however expensive. The gear, travel and facilities are not cheap..
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

303cowboy wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:52 am
It was a disastrous year. Hope Branch can turn it around
wyosports
Buckaroo

I wonder what Buchanan is thinking tonight, OU fired their head coach today. Also, wonder what that means for the former UW assistant who left in October. Maybe a little karma.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

wyosports wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:25 pm I wonder what Buchanan is thinking tonight, OU fired their head coach today. Also, wonder what that means for the former UW assistant who left in October. Maybe a little karma.
Officially he ‘stepped down.’ Do you know the reason?

Because Buchanan didn’t actually compete for OU, I wonder if he is free to transfer. The NCAA has basically granted waivers for athletes to enter the portal again when there is a coaching change. Would be great if he came back to Laramie.
wyosports
Buckaroo

He was basically let go, told he could resign or be fired. The reason was his record, this was the second season in a row that OU didn't have an AA and for a program that invests that much $ into wrestling the AD wants better results. OU is the only D-1 school in wrestling that is looking for a new coach, and with the new SEC money they are looking to make a splash hire. Buchanan can leave without any penalty. As for UW, does anyone know who the kid is we are getting through the transfer portal, coach posted that we are getting a NCAA qualifier. The latest high school rankings have five of our eight incoming freshmen in the top 100 recruits. (That is eleven kids in the top 100 over the last three classes and does not include Catlin who became a 2 x AA a couple weeks ago.) Fingers crossed, but I think we are on the right track!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:38 am
wyosports wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:25 pm I wonder what Buchanan is thinking tonight, OU fired their head coach today. Also, wonder what that means for the former UW assistant who left in October. Maybe a little karma.
Officially he ‘stepped down.’ Do you know the reason?

Because Buchanan didn’t actually compete for OU, I wonder if he is free to transfer. The NCAA has basically granted waivers for athletes to enter the portal again when there is a coaching change. Would be great if he came back to Laramie.
Guessing Buchanan will end up at some Big Ten school. Maybe he will join what's hisface bball player at Wisconsin. He squandered his best chance to be a national champion this past year and shat all over those that developed him in the process.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

wyosports wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:36 am He was basically let go, told he could resign or be fired. The reason was his record, this was the second season in a row that OU didn't have an AA and for a program that invests that much $ into wrestling the AD wants better results. OU is the only D-1 school in wrestling that is looking for a new coach, and with the new SEC money they are looking to make a splash hire. Buchanan can leave without any penalty. As for UW, does anyone know who the kid is we are getting through the transfer portal, coach posted that we are getting a NCAA qualifier. The latest high school rankings have five of our eight incoming freshmen in the top 100 recruits. (That is eleven kids in the top 100 over the last three classes and does not include Catlin who became a 2 x AA a couple weeks ago.) Fingers crossed, but I think we are on the right track!
I sure hope these new recruits kill it. Other than Volk, who is awesome (please don't transfer), our recent super awesome recruits have not panned out.
wyosports
Buckaroo

Most of them are still pretty young. (RF or F) Only time will tell. If you belong to Flowrestling you can go out and watch archived videos of these kids wrestle against some of the best kids in the country. 6 of the 9 high school kids won state championships, and 2 of the other 3 lost to guys who are ranked in the top 10 nationally. I have heard the staff think the HWT from Colorado has as much upside as anybody they have ever recruited, only been wrestling two years and has already beat some very accomplished wrestlers. Can't wait to see him and Catlin compete against each other, two huge kids.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Chase Zollman in the portal. Also Guillermo Escobedo, Darren Green and Hayden Lieb.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:54 pm Chase Zollman in the portal. Also Guillermo Escobedo.
Zollman will be a 6th year next year so I’m assuming he graduated. Was Escobedo even on the roster this year?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:58 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:54 pm Chase Zollman in the portal. Also Guillermo Escobedo.
Zollman will be a 6th year next year so I’m assuming he graduated. Was Escobedo even on the roster this year?
Yeah. Went to tournaments
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

Interesting thread from Mark Branch this morning on the Twitter, give it a click to read all of his thoughts.
ImageImageImageImage