Wyoming Wrestling

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

This is shaping up to be the worst wrestling team since pre-Branch. Air Force destroyed Wyoming in a dual. What the heck happened!?!?

https://gowyo.com/news/2022/12/11/wrest ... tid=Zxz2cZ
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Uhhh, not great
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Much improved effort as Wyoming took 2nd in the Reno Tournament behind Michigan State and ahead of Indiana. This tournament is nowhere close to the competition level of the Las Vegas Cliff Keen tournament (in fact, Oklahoma State sends its JV), but Wyoming wrestlers had 2 pins of ranked Michigan State wrestlers!

https://gowyo.com/news/2022/12/18/wrest ... pions.aspx
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Good to see they wrestled better. Looks like we have two good wrestlers in Hastings and Wright. Another decent wrestler in Moody. Need some more dawgs in the programs
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Wyoming loses to Northern Iowa 3-33. Hastings picks up the only win.

Cowgirls soccer is undoubtedly the best program at the university now.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:45 am Wyoming loses to Northern Iowa 3-33. Hastings picks up the only win.

I am gonna piss off the wrastlin' fans with this post...but it is just my opinion.

Wrestling is a dying NCAA sport...has been dying for 30 years. Wyoming should dump the program, and invest in a sport that would generate more buzz...more fan income / donations, and more media coverage. Hockey, Baseball, Skiing, Men's Soccer (barf), etc.

Bad part is, it would take some serious hard work to make happen, and hard work isn't in the vocab of our athletic department. That department wants to do as little as possible to achieve mediocracy. They have no aspirations nor concern to make things great at UW athletically. The status quo = pay checks.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:45 am Wyoming loses to Northern Iowa 3-33. Hastings picks up the only win.

Hideous
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

McPeachy wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:00 am

I am gonna piss off the wrastlin' fans with this post...but it is just my opinion.

Wrestling is a dying NCAA sport...has been dying for 30 years. Wyoming should dump the program, and invest in a sport that would generate more buzz...more fan income / donations, and more media coverage. Hockey, Baseball, Skiing, Men's Soccer (barf), etc.

Bad part is, it would take some serious hard work to make happen, and hard work isn't in the vocab of our athletic department. That department wants to do as little as possible to achieve mediocracy. They have no aspirations nor concern to make things great at UW athletically. The status quo = pay checks.
No!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Except it is not a dying sport at the NCAA or other levels in recent years. Numbers actually show it is the quickest growing sport for females at the high school level with stable numbers for male participants over the last few years. If anything, Wyoming should add women’s wrestling and cut another sport like tennis or golf. This would save money in terms of facility needs as the men’s and women’s team could essentially share the costs.

Hockey and baseball would be the definition of stupidity from a money perspective. Big money pits. There is no market for skiing. Men’s soccer makes no sense from a title ix (and equal scholly perspective) because we would need to increase men’s scholarship numbers unless we add another women’s sport or drop football.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:17 am

Except it is not a dying sport at the NCAA or other levels in recent years. Numbers actually show it is the quickest growing sport for females at the high school level with stable numbers for male participants over the last few years. If anything, Wyoming should add women’s wrestling and cut another sport like tennis or golf. This would save money in terms of facility needs as the men’s and women’s team could essentially share the costs.

Hockey and baseball would be the definition of stupidity from a money perspective. Big money pits. There is no market for skiing. Men’s soccer makes no sense from a title ix (and equal scholly perspective) because we would need to increase men’s scholarship numbers unless we add another women’s sport or drop football.
There is as much of a market for skiing as wrasslin'. Well, maybe not, but at least WYO won a NC skiing - somewhat recently, and WYO already has the training facilities. More importantly, and all joking aside, I don't think you are correct with your sentiments on men's soccer and Title IX, as when you delete a men's sport (wrasslin') and substitute a men's sport (soccer), no action is necessary to comply with title IX numbers...as it is likely an even numbers swap. And although I hate a lot about soccer, you and I know it is a much better "get" across the board, in every capacity, than wrasslin'.

Girls wrasslin' Ore? Really? You are reaching a bit there...LMAO.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:02 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:17 am

There is as much of a market for skiing as wrasslin'. Well, maybe not, but at least WYO won a NC skiing - somewhat recently, and WYO already has the training facilities. More importantly, and all joking aside, I don't think you are correct with your sentiments on men's soccer and Title IX, as when you delete a men's sport (wrasslin') and substitute a men's sport (soccer), no action is necessary to comply with title IX numbers...as it is likely an even numbers swap. And although I hate a lot about soccer, you and I know it is a much better "get" across the board, in every capacity, than wrasslin'.

Not reaching. It’s the truth. Women’s collegiate wrestling is the second fastest growing collegiate sport. The fastest shouldn’t count (esports).

https://athleticdirectoru.com/articles/ ... wrestling/

Also - soccer requires more schollies than wrestling.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:07 pm
McPeachy wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:02 am

Not reaching. It’s the truth. Women’s collegiate wrestling is the second fastest growing collegiate sport. The fastest shouldn’t count (esports).

https://athleticdirectoru.com/articles/ ... wrestling/

Also - soccer requires more schollies than wrestling.
Ore, I agree with everything from your previous post, doesn't make much sense to get rid of wrestling in lieu of those other sports listed. Especially if success is the goal as Wyoming has a much better chance to succeed at wrestling than they ever would at baseball, hockey or men's soccer.

However, Peachy does have 1 thing correct, the max number of scholarships for mens soccer is the exact same as wrestling, 9.9.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

Wrestling is dumb. Should dump it. Outside of Iowa, Oklahoma State and Pennsylvania, no one cares about it or understands it. A bit of an overstatement, but not really.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

LawPoke wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:49 pm Wrestling is dumb. Should dump it. Outside of Iowa, Oklahoma State and Pennsylvania, no one cares about it or understands it. A bit of an overstatement, but not really.
There are a crap load of wrestling fans nationwide. Huge numbers of kids participate in HS wrestling. It’s a worthwhile sport. Certainty more so than freaking hockey
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:25 pm
LawPoke wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:49 pm Wrestling is dumb. Should dump it. Outside of Iowa, Oklahoma State and Pennsylvania, no one cares about it or understands it. A bit of an overstatement, but not really.
There are a crap load of wrestling fans nationwide. Huge numbers of kids participate in HS wrestling. It’s a worthwhile sport. Certainty more so than freaking hockey
Hockey is exploding in popularity. But to each his own.

In our best Branch years, UW wrestling averaged 933 people at matches. WYoming volleyball attracts 1200 per game at home. Seems UW wrestling doesn’t attract many fans - perhaps despite its popularity? I don’t know.

The 62 D1 hockey teams sit in a similar footprint as Wrestling schools. Canisius College hockey has similar attendance to UW wrestling’s apex attendance.

It is a matter of personal preference I guess. I’ve never gotten into wrestling. Apparently few UW fans or students do considering the paltry attendance.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

LawPoke wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:00 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:25 pm

In our best Branch years, UW wrestling averaged 933 people at matches. WYoming volleyball attracts 1200 per game at home. Seems UW wrestling doesn’t attract many fans - perhaps despite its popularity? I don’t know.

The 62 D1 hockey teams sit in a similar footprint as Wrestling schools. Canisius College hockey has similar attendance to UW wrestling’s apex attendance.

It is a matter of personal preference I guess. I’ve never gotten into wrestling. Apparently few UW fans or students do considering the paltry attendance.
Hockey exploding in popularity? That’s news to me
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:10 pm
LawPoke wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:00 pm

Really? The NHL is wildly popular. And growing. Eagles games are tremendously popular. Denver, Colorado College, NoDak and Omaha college hockey is crazy popular.

247,000 boys and 21,000 girls participated in wrestling in the 2018-2019 season (were the stats I found with only a quick search). 567,000 played hockey (including 25,000 girls) in the same year.

30 years ago, 195,000 played hockey. Now over a half a million (actually closer to 600k) do. Maybe not in WY outside of Casper, Cheyenne and Jackson, but nationally -yeah. Popular as hell
Last edited by LawPoke on Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

LawPoke wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:28 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:10 pm
Really? The NHL is wildly popular. And growing. Eagles games are wildly popular. Denver, Colorado College, NoDak and Omaha college hockey is crazy popular.

247,000 boys and 21,000 girls participated in wrestling 2018-2019 season were the stats I found with only a quick search). 567,000 played hockey (including 25,000 girls) in the same year.
Interesting. I only know a few people who have ever played hockey

The numbers I found were 40k high school hockey players vs 263k HS wrestlers
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:31 pm

Really? The NHL is wildly popular. And growing. Eagles games are wildly popular. Denver, Colorado College, NoDak and Omaha college hockey is crazy popular.

247,000 boys and 21,000 girls participated in wrestling 2018-2019 season were the stats I found with only a quick search). 567,000 played hockey (including 25,000 girls) in the same year.

Hockey is experiencing a huge surge. And I couldn’t be more pumped about it.
"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:31 pm

These were the articles I found. Again, this isn’t an exhaustive search.

https://sportseventsmediagroup.com/hock ... le-on-ice/

https://youth1.com/wrestling/wrestling- ... y-rise?amp