Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

LawPoke wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:28 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:10 pm
Hockey exploding in popularity? That’s news to me
Really? The NHL is wildly popular. And growing. Eagles games are tremendously popular. Denver, Colorado College, NoDak and Omaha college hockey is crazy popular.

247,000 boys and 21,000 girls participated in wrestling in the 2018-2019 season (were the stats I found with only a quick search). 567,000 played hockey (including 25,000 girls) in the same year.

30 years ago, 195,000 played hockey. Now over a half a million (actually closer to 600k) do. Maybe not in WY outside of Casper, Cheyenne and Jackson, but nationally -yeah. Popular as hell
There's a good reason why Denver, Colorado College, North Dakota, and Omaha are popular. They are doing something neither OUR football nor basketball teams can do..............WIN!!!!!!!!! :tickedoff:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

Wyokie wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:03 pm
LawPoke wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:28 pm

Really? The NHL is wildly popular. And growing. Eagles games are tremendously popular. Denver, Colorado College, NoDak and Omaha college hockey is crazy popular.

247,000 boys and 21,000 girls participated in wrestling in the 2018-2019 season (were the stats I found with only a quick search). 567,000 played hockey (including 25,000 girls) in the same year.

30 years ago, 195,000 played hockey. Now over a half a million (actually closer to 600k) do. Maybe not in WY outside of Casper, Cheyenne and Jackson, but nationally -yeah. Popular as hell
There's a good reason why Denver, Colorado College, North Dakota, and Omaha are popular. They are doing something neither OUR football nor basketball teams can do..............WIN!!!!!!!!! :tickedoff:
Wyokie for the…win!! Our “revenue” bellcow sports are a damned disaster right now. Apathy is building to a level I haven’t seen in quite a while. We are a…checks notes…women’s soccer school!!!
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

So the Avs just came back from a 2 goal deficit in the 3rd period and won in OT against Edmonton. Amazing game! Hockey is awesome!!! No wrestling match could be that fun to watch. Sorry. Not possible.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

WestWYOPoke wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:09 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:07 pm

Not reaching. It’s the truth. Women’s collegiate wrestling is the second fastest growing collegiate sport. The fastest shouldn’t count (esports).

https://athleticdirectoru.com/articles/ ... wrestling/

Also - soccer requires more schollies than wrestling.
Ore, I agree with everything from your previous post, doesn't make much sense to get rid of wrestling in lieu of those other sports listed. Especially if success is the goal as Wyoming has a much better chance to succeed at wrestling than they ever would at baseball, hockey or men's soccer.

However, Peachy does have 1 thing correct, the max number of scholarships for mens soccer is the exact same as wrestling, 9.9.
Thanks for the information. For some reason I thought D1 soccer had the same amount as baseball and volleyball.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Hockey lol
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:55 amHockey lol
Wrasslin lol.
"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

McPeachy wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:02 am

There is as much of a market for skiing as wrasslin'. Well, maybe not, but at least WYO won a NC skiing - somewhat recently, and WYO already has the training facilities. More importantly, and all joking aside, I don't think you are correct with your sentiments on men's soccer and Title IX, as when you delete a men's sport (wrasslin') and substitute a men's sport (soccer), no action is necessary to comply with title IX numbers...as it is likely an even numbers swap. And although I hate a lot about soccer, you and I know it is a much better "get" across the board, in every capacity, than wrasslin'.

Girls wrasslin' Ore? Really? You are reaching a bit there...LMAO.
Not reaching. It’s the truth. Women’s collegiate wrestling is the second fastest growing collegiate sport. The fastest shouldn’t count (esports).

LOL - come on man! Girls wrasslin ranks right up there with the WNBA (actually quite less) in viewership and financial support. That is my point. Would men's soccer at UW bring in more viewership and financial support that women's wrasslin? Yes. More than men's wrasslin? Highly, highly likely. Those demo studies are up to the AD department though, so we will never know.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:11 am

LOL - come on man! Girls wrasslin ranks right up there with the WNBA (actually quite less) in viewership and financial support. That is my point. Would men's soccer at UW bring in more viewership and financial support that women's wrasslin? Yes. More than men's wrasslin? Highly, highly likely. Those demo studies are up to the AD department though, so we will never know.
Would the support offset the increase it costs is the real question. For men's soccer, I don't know. I'd imagine we would need to create a new indoor facility to really create a worthwhile program. But for Hockey and Baseball, I can tell you the up front capital costs and continuing maintenance costs would dwarf any increase in revenues. Unless you have an indoor facility, who wants to go watch (let alone play) a baseball game in Laramie in March or April???

Women's wrestling make so much sense because it is a growing sport and because the costs are quite low due to the current existence and facilities for the men's program.

Long story short - out of the ideas you have expressed and unless Wyoming gets a monster designated gift (like $25 million plus), men's soccer is the only one that lies in the realm of remote possibilities. I personally believe that golf and tennis make little sense as women sports in Laramie and believe that Women's wrestling makes a ton more sense.
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Sounds like a few of you guys have never been to a UW wrestling duel. The gym is jam packed with extra seating brought in, even on a down year. You guys just don't understand the sport and therefore don't enjoy it. Too bad you can't enjoy the sport that we've been most consistently good at over the course of the last decade.
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Regarding hockey -- my experience is that the kids who played hockey were the rich kids. It's prohibitively expensive to get into for most families. So much you have to pay for to get all the equipment and ice time for the clubs. Wrestling, not that way at all. There is no way that as many high school kids in Wyoming will ever participate in hockey as wrestling and it's gonna be hard to build a program here, regardless of all the capital investment it would take.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

'PokeForLife wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:37 pm Regarding hockey -- my experience is that the kids who played hockey were the rich kids. It's prohibitively expensive to get into for most families. So much you have to pay for to get all the equipment and ice time for the clubs. Wrestling, not that way at all. There is no way that as many high school kids in Wyoming will ever participate in hockey as wrestling and it's gonna be hard to build a program here, regardless of all the capital investment it would take.
The few that I knew were not good enough athletes to do anything else, so they had to do hockey, a niche sport, where they would never ride the bench because they would take any and all participants gladly
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:39 pm
'PokeForLife wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:37 pm Regarding hockey -- my experience is that the kids who played hockey were the rich kids. It's prohibitively expensive to get into for most families. So much you have to pay for to get all the equipment and ice time for the clubs. Wrestling, not that way at all. There is no way that as many high school kids in Wyoming will ever participate in hockey as wrestling and it's gonna be hard to build a program here, regardless of all the capital investment it would take.
The few that I knew were not good enough athletes to do anything else, so they had to do hockey, a niche sport, where they would never ride the bench because they would take any and all participants gladly
f-word LOL.
"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy

Seems easier to get into now. When I was young it was prohibitive not only due to the gear, but the extensive travel required. Seems like local leagues are able to support multiple teams minimizing travel now.

Have friends with young kids in wrestling (grade school) and they spend a fortune on travel. I guess it’s all relative.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Subcanis wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:23 am

f-word LOL.
Might be different in say Minnesota. Non athletes generally play hockey
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:39 pm
Subcanis wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:23 am

f-word LOL.
Might be different in say Minnesota. Non athletes generally play hockey
You have some truly bizarre takes on so, so many things.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Wyoming gets demolished in 2 duals over the past few days.

3-32 to North Dakota State
3-42 to South Dakota State

Only Cowboy to get a win was true freshman Jore Volk winning both his matches. What a terrible downturn for Wyoming wrestling. We used to smoke SDSU and NDSU regularly. Worst Wyoming team probably ever. I’m sure Volk is thinking of his options being a talented world champion. Maybe it’s time for a reset of the program. IDK. Demoralizing.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

I agree with your statement that it is a very down year for Wyo wrestling.

However, these are not the NDSU and SDSU teams of past years. NDSU is #14 and SDSU is #16 in team dual rankings. For comparison, perennial power Oklahoma State is #12.

Doesn't excuse UWs poor performance, but those schools are no pushovers anymore.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

WestWYOPoke wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:10 pm I agree with your statement that it is a very down year for Wyo wrestling.

However, these are not the NDSU and SDSU teams of past years. NDSU is #14 and SDSU is #16 in team dual rankings. For comparison, perennial power Oklahoma State is #12.

Doesn't excuse UWs poor performance, but those schools are no pushovers anymore.
Wyoming used to be ranked in that range consistently just a few years ago. Now we are probably one of the worst teams in the country. This is more than a down year. We aren’t even competitive really.

Duals this year:
3-34 loss to Oklahoma State
11-25 loss to Air Force
3-33 loss to Northern Iowa
7-37 loss to Iowa State
10-28 loss to Missouri
3-32 loss to North Dakota State
3-42 loss to South Dakota State

Cal Baptist and Utah Valley are next. Those teams are not good at all. I guess we will see if we can beat anyone.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

Interesting. Competitive hockey is one of the most physically & athletically demanding sports there is. To put a bunch of "not good enough" athletes on the ice is doing a major disservice to them as individuals, and to hockey as a sport.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

McPeachy wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:12 am
Interesting. Competitive hockey is one of the most physically & athletically demanding sports there is. To put a bunch of "not good enough" athletes on the ice is doing a major disservice to them as individuals, and to hockey as a sport.
Think about it this way. Like 90%+ of kids at least try basketball at some point in their lives, I would guess. The good ones stick with it, join leagues and end up playing. So out of 90%+ of a population you're going to capture the very best athletes.

How many do you suppose even try hockey... ever? fewer than 5% of kids? Other than places like minnesota, where a good number of kids actually do it, anyone that wants to do it, and has the $$$, can play at a "high level". It's simply a numbers game. It's like calling an Olympic bobsledder a world class athlete.

There's like what , three black people in the entire NHL?