Remainder of Season Outlook

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

johnywyo wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:57 pm The book on Linder was that he was great judge of evaluating talent. Also a student of the European game, this is what is totally confusing, as this years team has regressed horribly. I was also wondering where Seattle Cowboy, if that’s what his moniker was has not chimed in at all this season. He seemed to think like many here and in the press that this team was set for some terrific competition. It’s obvious from Linder’s remarks as the season has progressed that this team he has put together has enough juice to play ball, but they seem to not want to win bad enough. I’m simply trying to make sense of this disaster of the season as it has evolved this year.
I think the injury bug has hurt us in a lot of ways this year. For instance, we finally have enough healthy players to practice 5-on -5. First time since NOVEMBER we've had a moderately healthy team.

https://7220sports.com/tucks-takes-refr ... ogs-85-62/
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

Well....8 games remaining and a whopping two wins in conference. We know now that Ike will not be returning this season, if ever. Outside of the first half against AFA, we still have not played competitively away from the AA...I predict that will continue. That means we have 4 home games left to pick up three wins to get us to a double digit win total...how sad is that! Maybe we win In FC, CSU is really floundering and could definitely have a terrible night and just not be able to win. That game will come down to what team plays worse...neither are any good. The other road games are just unwinnable, at the pit and and at the top two MWC teams....all losses.

So the remaining home games are UNLV, AFA, USU, and Nevada. If Nevada and USU play their average games...they will beat us. I think we probably beat AFA and UNLV at home.

The wild card game to me is the Border War...The battle for the bottom of the conference!! CSU's remaining games look a little easier than ours..maybe? Come on Pokes...lets beat the sheep and finish out of last place!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

307bball wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:45 am Well....8 games remaining and a whopping two wins in conference. We know now that Ike will not be returning this season, if ever. Outside of the first half against AFA, we still have not played competitively away from the AA...I predict that will continue. That means we have 4 home games left to pick up three wins to get us to a double digit win total...how sad is that! Maybe we win In FC, CSU is really floundering and could definitely have a terrible night and just not be able to win. That game will come down to what team plays worse...neither are any good. The other road games are just unwinnable, at the pit and and at the top two MWC teams....all losses.

So the remaining home games are UNLV, AFA, USU, and Nevada. If Nevada and USU play their average games...they will beat us. I think we probably beat AFA and UNLV at home.

The wild card game to me is the Border War...The battle for the bottom of the conference!! CSU's remaining games look a little easier than ours..maybe? Come on Pokes...lets beat the sheep and finish out of last place!
What a depressing reality. Having to hope things go well to avoid last place.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:17 am
307bball wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:45 am Well....8 games remaining and a whopping two wins in conference. We know now that Ike will not be returning this season, if ever. Outside of the first half against AFA, we still have not played competitively away from the AA...I predict that will continue. That means we have 4 home games left to pick up three wins to get us to a double digit win total...how sad is that! Maybe we win In FC, CSU is really floundering and could definitely have a terrible night and just not be able to win. That game will come down to what team plays worse...neither are any good. The other road games are just unwinnable, at the pit and and at the top two MWC teams....all losses.

What a depressing reality. Having to hope things go well to avoid last place.
It truly is one of the all time mismatched expectation seasons....and not in a good way.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

We are really, really, really bad away from home
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

The Border War will more than likely be the battle for the 10 seed in the conference tournament.
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

Vancopoke wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:16 pm Other than the transfers, who is considered dead weight? Thought we had a solid team but man, was I wrong.
Well the transfers just took care of cleaning out the dead weight. 3 more scholarships to use to improve the team with next year
307bball
WyoNation Addict

Revisiting this...

I predicted that we would pick up 5 wins in conference back on Jan. 9. My prediction that they would all come at home has been nullified by the win at UNM and losses to UNLV and AFA at home, but they have a shot at getting two of the last four games to get to what I predicted...even if it's not a great shot. Will we be favored in any of the remaining games? Probably not. The best chance of a victory is at CSU followed by the Nevada and USU game in some order. Maybe there is a scenario where SDSU has the conference title sewn up and is unmotivated but I highly doubt that. This season has been an utter dumpster fire.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

And if you think about it, there is so much parity in college basketball and such a lack of dominant teams, had we had the team we thought we were going to have at the outset of the season, it likely could have made a relatively deep and exciting run in the NCAA tournament.
Z-money
Buckaroo
Been liked: 1 time

307bball wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:46 pm
Z-money wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:37 pm I watch the Pokes every year. I know I am seeing things from the perspective of having crazy high preseason expectations, but this feels like one of the worst years in recent memory. At this point in the season we're doing as bad as the last year of Edwards' tenure (when we went on the short MWC tourney run in 2020). Having this bad of a non-conference season isn't like us, even in off years. It's a bad year. It's over. All I care about at this point is that I hope we don't lose any dudes to the portal.
If we just traded everybody for the "average" college basketball player....would we be worse?
I guess we’re about to find out.