Gator Collective

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

We are in the infancy of NIL. As seasons go by, there will be more and more situations like this and issues that arise. The most foreseeable consequence is a drop in direct donations (a result of money being diverted to NIL) that could cause some serious Title IX issues and endanger certain sports.

Harder to forecast is the fallout from what will essentially be failed ROI with many of these recruits. The fact is, a plurality of highly-touted recruits fail to really launch. Big money donors aren't generally in the habit of throwing good money after bad. Another complication I see is big money donors over-estimating their influence over athletic departments and their respective programs. There are plenty of highly principled (perhaps egotistical) head coaches and AD's who won't be afraid to tell an overzealous, overbearing donor/ fan when to f--- off. As much as ego seems to be a character issue with someone like Bohl, it's also the very trait that would motivate him to stand up to fan influence, regardless of their potential as a financial resource. Could anyone imagine someone like Mike Leach kowtowing to a wealthy Law School alumnus?

In short, there's too many possibilities to extrapolate much of a long-term prognostication of how NIL shakes out over the next few years, or decade, or decades. Lots of unintended consequences. It might turn out to be a shallow money trench laden with landmines, it might turn out to be five miles of goldmine. No one can really be sure, so while it's worth observing, it's probably not worth losing sleep over...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:00 pm
307bball wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:54 pm

Is that level of player a significant upgrade to our guys? I would have figured that was about the level of our players already.
Me too. If Texas Tech's backups are better than our starters, then we are going to be steamrolled.
Why wouldn’t a second stringer from a good program like Iowa be similar to or better than most of our starters? P5 teams are said to be much deeper than the other group of 5 teams and a backup is likely similar to our starters. I am confused. What have the results been against P5 team in the Bohl tenure. 1-8? Have we not been getting steamrolled?
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:35 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:00 pm

Me too. If Texas Tech's backups are better than our starters, then we are going to be steamrolled.
Why wouldn’t a second stringer from a good program like Iowa be similar to or better than most of our starters? P5 teams are said to be much deeper than the other group of 5 teams and a backup is likely similar to our starters. I am confused. What have the results been against P5 team in the Bohl tenure. 1-8? Have we not been getting steamrolled?
In general...I don't think that the second team at the average p5 program is better that Wyoming's starting team.... Now there are individual position groups that will vary but I'm not trading the average p5 backup for an average MWC starter.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Short of something like the out of state millionaires, billionaires, and Pepsi Wyoming suddenly funneling in money, I don't see the school and CJC dishing out even half that kind of money to fresh out of high school kids and players buried on the depth charts at places like Alabama and Georgia.