Bohl is excited for spring ball

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 43 times

SDPokeFan wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:35 pm 7-5, New Mexico Bowl. Wash, rinse, repeat.
For ONCE, I agree.

Gawd, it's truly sad I'm agreeing with SDPokeFan. :roll: .
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

McPeachy wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:18 am Hell, I am excited as well. Usually am.

If it wasn't for parents of athletes telling our recruiters and coaches how much NIL $$$ it will take for them to play at UW, I would have zero angst this spring.
Spring attrition is a wild card.

New football is great.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 12 times

When or if they go 8-4 this season all of those in the Bohl must go crowd are really going to have their work cut out. 8-4 probably equals a 3 year extension.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 292 times
Been liked: 125 times

Some of the folks on this board really had “all of the red licked off their candy”…….
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

Wyokie wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:58 pm
SDPokeFan wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:35 pm 7-5, New Mexico Bowl. Wash, rinse, repeat.
For ONCE, I agree.

Gawd, it's truly sad I'm agreeing with SDPokeFan. :roll: .
Haha….welcome!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:02 pm When or if they go 8-4 this season all of those in the Bohl must go crowd are really going to have their work cut out. 8-4 probably equals a 3 year extension.
8-4 would most likely mean losses to Texas Tech and Texas with 2 losses against MW foes. If I know the pokes, we'll probably win 1 of the 2 against Boise/AF but drop some turd against one of the Nevada teams on the road. 8-4 would be a good season. If we could throw the damn ball, we could be a championship type team. The MW is not great. Also, this would be the year we win 5 games since there's optimism.

The best news we could hear out of Spring/Fall camp is that some QB has risen and taken the starting job form Peasley. Peasley is fine and is a baller but not championship type QB. I suspect that we can only see marginal improvement from him as a QB. Therefore the passing game will not take a giant leap forward under him. It needs that giant leap. I hope he proves me wrong.
W-Y, Until I Die!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 61 times

laxwyo wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:17 pm
PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:02 pm When or if they go 8-4 this season all of those in the Bohl must go crowd are really going to have their work cut out. 8-4 probably equals a 3 year extension.
8-4 would most likely mean losses to Texas Tech and Texas with 2 losses against MW foes. If I know the pokes, we'll probably win 1 of the 2 against Boise/AF but drop some turd against one of the Nevada teams on the road. 8-4 would be a good season. If we could throw the damn ball, we could be a championship type team. The MW is not great. Also, this would be the year we win 5 games since there's optimism.

The best news we could hear out of Spring/Fall camp is that some QB has risen and taken the starting job form Peasley. Peasley is fine and is a baller but not championship type QB. I suspect that we can only see marginal improvement from him as a QB. Therefore the passing game will not take a giant leap forward under him. It needs that giant leap. I hope he proves me wrong.
Yeah...8 wins is the best we'll do next year. No offense = no championship and getting beat by elite offenses and a head scratcher loss where some QB gets hot....so ....8 wins at best.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

307bball wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:03 pm
laxwyo wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:17 pm

Yeah...8 wins is the best we'll do next year. No offense = no championship and getting beat by elite offenses and a head scratcher loss where some QB gets hot....so ....8 wins at best.
8 wins might be enough to get into the MWC championship game next year. I don't see 2 dominant teams in the MWC that could run the table without losing really. So losing 2 MWC games might be good enough to get into the MWC championship.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

I really wish Bohl would open up the program a bit more to let fans get excited about Spring Ball.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

Not sure how "excited" we should be as long as Mike Grant is our WRs coach and Passing Game Coordinator.

Also, our OoC is pretty brutal and I don't see us coming out of that with more than one, maybe two wins (Texas and TTU are almost certainly losses, App State will be difficult, Portland State will likely be a win but might not be a pushover). Which has no bearing on conference standings, but leaves us going into conference play possibly beat up up a bit, both physically and mentally.

Having said that, Haener and Mims both moving on should weaken Fresno a bit, and Hoke is doing Hoke things at SDSU (lol)...leaving one of either Boise State or Air Force as the biggest potential roadblock to the MWCCG. Though I wouldn't count out USU; sure, they had a bizarre year but also dealt with a lot of key injuries (including injuries to three QBs) and showed some resiliency after some embarrassing losses.

Once again, we have a completely reasonable shot at the championship game...perhaps moreso now that there's no divisions...but the OoC is a meatgrinder (we saw how that beat us up last year and affected conference play) and I don't trust the offensive system we have.

Top 4 team, sure. Top 2? It's gonna be just as much of a struggle as always.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

laxwyo wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:17 pm Peasley is fine and is a baller but not championship type QB.
You do realize Peasley was a not-insignificant contributor to a championship run at USU, right? Lmao. The dude literally came to us from a championship team that he actively played for.

The only reason he didn't get even more playing time is because Anderson stubbornly stuck by "his" guy (Bonner) in spite of everyone screeching at times to let Peasley have a shot. The two were otherwise pretty neck-and-neck in the talent and ability department. Most USU fans were pretty disappointed at losing Peas; the blow was just eventually softened by the surprising emergence of Legas this year. Y'all need to get out more.

It's also interesting to me how quickly people [rightly] point out that Williams...who finally hit his stride and got us a winning record and a blowout bowl win in which he personally dominated....was absolutely buried on the depth chart at USU. You know....the exact same championship USU system in which Peasley was a borderline starter in, en route to a championship.

Peasley is the best QB we've had since JA17, is easily the best and most experienced QB on campus...and is absolutely capable of leading us to a championship.

A thin WR corps, a terrible WR coach and passing game coordinator, poop QB development and coaching, bad game management, and a mindbogglingly archaic offensive philosophy are going to be the main factors holding Peasley (and literally any other QB) back at Wyoming.

Watching you guys hold your breath for the emergence of another JA17....a generational talent whose raw ability allowed him to [mostly] rise above a sh*tty system...is hilarious.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:53 am
laxwyo wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:17 pm Peasley is fine and is a baller but not championship type QB.
You do realize Peasley was a not-insignificant contributor to a championship run at USU, right? Lmao. The dude literally came to us from a championship team that he actively played for.

The only reason he didn't get even more playing time is because Anderson stubbornly stuck by "his" guy (Bonner) in spite of everyone screeching at times to let Peasley have a shot. The two were otherwise pretty neck-and-neck in the talent and ability department. Most USU fans were pretty disappointed at losing Peas; the blow was just eventually softened by the surprising emergence of Legas this year. Y'all need to get out more.

It's also interesting to me how quickly people [rightly] point out that Williams...who finally hit his stride and got us a winning record and a blowout bowl win in which he personally dominated....was absolutely buried on the depth chart at USU. You know....the exact same championship USU system in which Peasley was a borderline starter in, en route to a championship.

Peasley is the best QB we've had since JA17, is easily the best and most experienced QB on campus...and is absolutely capable of leading us to a championship.

A thin WR corps, a terrible WR coach and passing game coordinator, poop QB development and coaching, bad game management, and a mindbogglingly archaic offensive philosophy are going to be the main factors holding Peasley (and literally any other QB) back at Wyoming.

Watching you guys hold your breath for the emergence of another JA17....a generational talent whose raw ability allowed him to [mostly] rise above a sh*tty system...is hilarious.
Pretty good post - But it's not like Peasley has ever at any point lit the world on fire. He has flashes every now and then, but is inconsistent. Hope he can find consistency. He misses fairly consistently on deep balls. I am not convinced he is the best we can do here at UW. Still won't matter a whole lot as you've said, but I do think there could be some improvement in the passing game with better, more consistent QB play.

No one is "holding their breath" for the emergence of the next Josh Allen. I have literally never read anything like that on this message board. Everyone and their grandma knows JA was one of a kind, special and we will likely never have another QB of his caliber here at UW. Most are just blindly hoping for improvement in the passing game because... what else can a fan do at this point.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Lmao, yeah, I'm sure Anderson, who watched Peasley every day, let his team perform under their capabilities because he is stubborn. I realize your evidence is fans posting on a message board, which is really solid, but I think there might be more to it.

I don't know. Maybe something like the dude is a 50% completion % regardless of system and receivers or maybe because of his demonstrated inconsistency within and across games.

Peasley's talent level is equal to the WR corps'. Blame coaching which certainly contributes, but missing throws and dropping catches are also contributing.

I realize you are probably related to Peasley. I like the kid but he has to do better just like the WRs and coaches.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

I agree the system, coaching and WR corps are as you describe but I am not sold on Peasley. I saw him miss too many open receivers, seemingly unable to read his progressions ,and hold onto the ball too long to be tossing around him as being the best and most experienced QB we had since Allen. Heck at times even Chambers and Williams showed flashes of ability but they also had the same issues as Peasley. How much is due to the system and coaching v. plyer ability is the real question in my mind. .
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

doreno5 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:06 pm

I agree the system, coaching and WR corps are as you describe but I am not sold on Peasley. I saw him miss too many open receivers, seemingly unable to read his progressions ,and hold onto the ball too long to be tossing around him as being the best and most experienced QB we had since Allen. Heck at times even Chambers and Williams showed flashes of ability but they also had the same issues as Peasley. How much is due to the system and coaching v. plyer ability is the real question in my mind. .
Peasley walked into an open QB position while Williams walked into an entrenched starter and then was hurt. Williams had some pretty damn good games for us and then some stinkers. IMO Williams is a better QB than Peasley and would the starter had he stayed and Peasley transferred here. Williams destroyed conference champion Utah St. No one is waiting for JA to come back, but someone who could throw like Bonner would win us a championship. Maybe it's system but Peasley only completed like 54% of his passes in that system.

I know everyone else is sour on Clemons, but I still think he looks fairly talented. With some real reps, I think he could be good. Sure, he had a bad game against undefeated in conference Boise St and made a terrible decision on the endzone pass, but he had one week of reps before playing the best team in the division. I think he passes the test when he's out there and with meaningful reps, I think he ceiling is higher than Peasley. All I'm really saying is that unless Peasley gets a lot better, it's a bad omen if someone doesn't beat him out for the starting gig.
W-Y, Until I Die!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Agree that Clemons is more talented than Peasley. Clemons throws a much more accurate ball, just doesn’t have the reps/experience. I would love to see Clemons rise above Peasley as peasley seems low ceiling tbh
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:54 pm Agree that Clemons is more talented than Peasley. Clemons throws a much more accurate ball, just doesn’t have the reps/experience. I would love to see Clemons rise above Peasley as peasley seems low ceiling tbh
I would actually be really stoked if someone rose above both of them and took the job. It would bode well if Svoboda or Gibbs won the starting gig considering what we know what we have at starting QB already.
W-Y, Until I Die!
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Peasley has a great 40 time, one of the top speeds on the team.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Its Year 10, show me/us SOMETHING GOOD SOMETHING DIFFERENT!!!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

marcuswyo wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:27 pm Peasley has a great 40 time, one of the top speeds on the team.
Running hasn't been the problem...