Bad News

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

laxwyo wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:48 pm
Wyovanian wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:43 pm
We are still very early in the era of NIL and the transfer portal, and we're seeing example after example of buyers' remorse and unmet expectations. I think there's a pattern of diminishing return emerging. No one was throwing NIL offers at any one of those three, and no one will. They'll be fortunate if any of them are playing D1 Basketball next season, as most programs are going to take a caveat emptor perspective with them. They've done as much, if not more damage to themselves as they have to UW Basketball.
When you lose players early, you just can't replace them all with high school players. You'll need to hit on some transfers.
Up until now, there's no history of, or to this. Everyone is learning about judicious use of the portal, both the schools and the players. Just ask Texas A&M and Marcus Williams. He was a FOY and now he's in a CBB backwater. None of these clowns came in as having even been starters at USC or Ucla...

Sorry if I'm not donning a helmet for a falling sky here...
Last edited by Wyovanian on Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:36 am
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:47 pm

The link earlier in this thread leads me to believe they were cut from the program.
This was an early tweet. While this seems unlikely to me (threats), I read this as they could have pushed through the rest of the season but chose not to.

I'd have to call Anderson's Tweet as likely apocryphal, based on likeliness and the history of such hyperbole.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

Thumbnail stat, but thinking about portal players who have shown success in met expectations at their new programs, I'd say the success rate for transfers is around 25-30%. The game can be learned, but character is crucial for high achievement in anything, and that cannot be taught. Like it or not, all three of those former players came into the program with a history of quitting, as does almost every transfer portal athlete. Quitting is not a good character trait.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Poke in New England wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:55 am

The link earlier in this thread leads me to believe they were cut from the program.
Per 7220 sports, sources in LA and Laramie confirmed it was the players decision to leave.
Loserville Population: 3
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 292 times
Been liked: 125 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:50 am

Cody Tucker has pretty good sources it seems and can’t imagine he’d say this without some real information.

Anderson and Agbonkpolo have not transferred out of Wyoming. They were dismissed from the program on Tuesday — not for any scandalous behavior or unwelcome incident, but simply because Wyoming coach Jeff Linder didn’t like how they were playing. This was an unhappy collaboration between a coach and new players. The arrangement is over, as reported by Ryan Thorburn of the Casper (Wyo.) Star-Tribune:
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

This was an early tweet. While this seems unlikely to me (threats), I read this as they could have pushed through the rest of the season but chose not to.

I wonder why we never heard about death threats against, Swen, and stone, and, and and and. Hard for me to believe.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:06 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:50 am

Cody Tucker has pretty good sources it seems and can’t imagine he’d say this without some real information.

Anderson and Agbonkpolo have not transferred out of Wyoming. They were dismissed from the program on Tuesday — not for any scandalous behavior or unwelcome incident, but simply because Wyoming coach Jeff Linder didn’t like how they were playing. This was an unhappy collaboration between a coach and new players. The arrangement is over, as reported by Ryan Thorburn of the Casper (Wyo.) Star-Tribune:
IMO -This is basically the ‘official’ university release that Thorburn is conveying. My bet is the players quit and then there was a negotiation. My guess it is something like this - Players keep their mouths shut and don’t disparage the program and the official release will be dismissed from the team. If the official release is they ‘quit’ then their NCAA playing careers are likely over because they have to sit a year and lose a year of eligibility. But if they are dismissed or released from the program, then they qualify for an NCAA transfer waiver. Just my pure guess on how all this went down but it would track with a lot of social media and make sense.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:37 pm

I wonder why we never heard about death threats against, Swen, and stone, and, and and and. Hard for me to believe.
A statement like that is pretty eyebrow raising and you would expect it to be backed with more facts or reported on by someone (which law enforcement agency, anonymous threats or threats from specific individuals, etc…). With nothing more, the credibility is suspect IMO.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:56 am
laxwyo wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:48 pm

When you lose players early, you just can't replace them all with high school players. You'll need to hit on some transfers.
Could be JUCO guys. Before the transfer portal, Linder used JUCOs at Northern Colorado and hit the jackpot with Drake Jeffries here.
There is some merit to Juco transfer being better quality since they’re overlooked coming out of high school and don’t have obvious flaws that a portal player would have. Overlooked guy moving up after doing all he could to keep his dream alive versus higher recruited dudes with sus character issues and underperforming at bigger programs. Almost need to develop psychological profiles. For example, might be better to look at portal players leaving after their freshmen year looking for playing time vs portal players that had been with a team for several years and hadn’t shown much.
W-Y, Until I Die!
wyosports
Buckaroo
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

The program and Linder are getting hammered in the basketball community. You have these players and their families, aau coaches in Texas and California, college coaches, and nba players, that are all talking about UW basketball in negative light. As one poster mentioned above it doesn’t matter if it’s true, it’s what they are saying and that is what people see and read.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

wyosports wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:04 pm The program and Linder are getting hammered in the basketball community. You have these players and their families, aau coaches in Texas and California, college coaches, and nba players, that are all talking about UW basketball in negative light. As one poster mentioned above it doesn’t matter if it’s true, it’s what they are saying and that is what people see and read.
Meh, does it matter. The minute Linder starts running his program based on what people think, or people’s opinions will be the downfall. He needs to the run the program on finding the best talent he can recruit, and build the program.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

wyosports wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:04 pm The program and Linder are getting hammered in the basketball community. You have these players and their families, aau coaches in Texas and California, college coaches, and nba players, that are all talking about UW basketball in negative light. As one poster mentioned above it doesn’t matter if it’s true, it’s what they are saying and that is what people see and read.
nba players? who has said anything?
W-Y, Until I Die!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 61 times

It's crazy.... Bohl get killed for not using the portal enough... Linder's program gets a black eye for going big into the portal.... We all wanted those three players to be great contributors on a championship caliber team. The reality is that they may just not be that good. That's the bummer in this whole situation. When you swing and miss like this.... It just sucks. The poison pill was swallowed the minute those guys signed with Wyoming. This is bad for them and bad for us. You just want to put it behind you and learn.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 61 times

laxwyo wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:51 pm
The reality of the situation doesn't matter. The Cali three are just fine with being painted as having been treated unfairly. If they all turn out to flame out... Doesn't matter. Damage done.
wyosports
Buckaroo

I agree 100 percent that Coach has to do things his way and build the program based on his values and expectations. I just think this stuff makes it harder. Ethan is best friends with the Mobley twins ( dad is assistant w/USC) plays for Cleveland in the NBA. Also, we have an assistant who has many friends and ties to NBA players. Once again all I am saying is this can’t make coaches job easier.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

307bball wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:55 pm
laxwyo wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:51 pm

The reality of the situation doesn't matter. The Cali three are just fine with being painted as having been treated unfairly. If they all turn out to flame out... Doesn't matter. Damage done.
I disagree. In a few weeks it’ll be “history”. These weren’t starters - really didn’t provide much. The ewes Russia gate will be more damaging to goat U than this will be to UW. Linder will find some transfers. We’ll be fine.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Are you one of the players. Is that you Max?? Lmao . The three losers that left were insignificant career bench players that thought they were way better than they were. No one cares
wyosports
Buckaroo

Yes, that’s me. LMAO.I think you are wrestling fan, check my post on the wrestling store thread. I am sure those players watched a lot of wrestling and are familiar with Jory Volk and the injuries to Hayden or the loss of an assistant to Oklahoma and transfer of Buchanan. No I am not one of the former players, just a 60 year old that loves UW.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:59 pm
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:37 pm

A statement like that is pretty eyebrow raising and you would expect it to be backed with more facts or reported on by someone (which law enforcement agency, anonymous threats or threats from specific individuals, etc…). With nothing more, the credibility is suspect IMO.
I guess "apocryphal" is too big of a word 'round here...
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

poop.