Bad News

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

307bball wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:40 pm
wyosports wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:35 pm From what I have heard this is just the beginning of what is to come, between players, coaches, and recruits, I would expect the program to look very different next year.
Well...I think the odds of Ike staying for next year just went from "not great" to "nonexistent".
I’d say they might have improved. I didn’t see him interacting a great deal with the transfers on the bench. I could be wrong but that was my impression based on the glimpses.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Don't get me for being an attacker of players but I had a feeling about these 3 that if it got to be too much for them they'd turn into California quitters and tuck tail and run....the once a Cowboy always a Cowboy Does NOT apply here....don't let the door kick ya and good luck at the Juco level here on out.
Hence another reason I'm glad I'm not coming over tonite and thank goodness for TV at times!
WYOMING its not for everybody thank God
Losers
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

Those three player made a high profile splash by all coming to Laramie...at best this creates a perception with California coaches and media that Wyoming is not a good place to go....this is if they never amount to much anywhere else. Worst case, some details emerge that paints the program in such a negative light in terms of player friendliness that it affects recruiting across the board. Not good either way.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 50 times

McPeachy wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:41 pm
laxwyo wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:38 pm I know everyone is a big Linder fan, but how much of this season is on his shoulders? What happens if Ike bounces and we're just as bad next year? At some point, the buck stops at the coach.
True, the buck stops with Linder.

That said, he has to have team standards, and enforce them to the highest level. He can't allow rules (whether conduct, grades, effort, etc.) to be bent or manipulated.
I agree. It's always on the coach. That being said, I think he can handle it. I trust he'll deal with this situation better than most of coaches we've had in the last 20 years.

None of the California guys match the profile of what he usually recruits: play great defense, shoot a high 3pt%, LOVE the game, gym-rat types. My guess is he took the "best available" guys he could find in the portal last year because he felt like they needed instant contributors to help Ike and Maldo this season. That didn't work out becasue Ike got hurt and the new guys didn't match expectations. Anderson was close, but the others have been a bust. I don't know why they left or how it went down but I bet whoever he brings in will be an improvement for our program. And the California guys will probably end up in a position that's better for them.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

I was going to skip the game tonight. I am going to go now and support the players that play for the program. I hope the quitters get to watch the Pokes pull off an upset from their couch tonight.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

307bball wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:59 pm Those three player made a high profile splash by all coming to Laramie...at best this creates a perception with California coaches and media that Wyoming is not a good place to go....this is if they never amount to much anywhere else. Worst case, some details emerge that paints the program in such a negative light in terms of player friendliness that it affects recruiting across the board. Not good either way.
If anything, is says, don't come to Wyoming, if you don't want to work hard, play hard, and be coached. And...I don't know - a coach shouldn't be a friend. Just like a parent. My opinion of course.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 90 times

The PR arm of UW and the Athletic Department had better get on the stick. The players' parents are burning it down on the way out - even asserting that they had to basically evacuate their kids because they were receiving death threats. True or not - this sort of garbage could devastate recruiting and our rebuild. A mamby-pamby, bland press release won't cut it.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 603 times
Been liked: 240 times

Was going to say this. Lots of butthurt going on from the parents. Wenzel’s dad defending Linder though
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 302 times
Been liked: 128 times

laxwyo wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:38 pm I know everyone is a big Linder fan, but how much of this season is on his shoulders? What happens if Ike bounces and we're just as bad next year? At some point, the buck stops at the coach.
I don’t think it’s “if” Ike bounces……it’s when. Not hoping for it - my bet is “he gone”. I’ll bet a Poke cap on it.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

LawPoke wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:12 pm The PR arm of UW and the Athletic Department had better get on the stick. The players' parents are burning it down on the way out - even asserting that they had to basically evacuate their kids because they were receiving death threats. True or not - this sort of garbage could devastate recruiting and our rebuild. A mamby-pamby, bland press release won't cut it.
As bad as it is, at least we didn’t do what goat U did with Russia-gate.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

laxwyo wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:22 pm
Thor's comment made me chuckle.

We needed the bodies but other than that, not much is lost.
I hope they grabbed a few kids from Laramie High School boys bb team this afternoon……
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

I wish I could figure out how to post pics on a post here. I found some posts on Facebook from Jake Kymans aunt.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 90 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:47 pm I wish I could figure out how to post pics on a post here. I found some posts on Facebook from Jake Kymans aunt.
What was the gist of her posts?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:23 pm
I don’t think it’s “if” Ike bounces……it’s when. Not hoping for it - my bet is “he gone”. I’ll bet a Poke cap on it.
Ike not at the game tonight.

Reynolds is.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

LawPoke wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:20 pm
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:47 pm I wish I could figure out how to post pics on a post here. I found some posts on Facebook from Jake Kymans aunt.
What was the gist of her posts?
Whatever went down, “it isn’t good”. Personally I agree with other posters and I support Linder, and think it had to do with playing time and lack of effort in practices.

Another poster said that”other Wyoming kids, said there was a confrontation by the 3 and the coaches on the bus ride back to Laramie”.

I really feel that with this season a bust at this point, the Pokes will be better off. Don’t need a cancer in the program. Sure hope Ike stays.
jwy_poke
Buckaroo

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:36 pm

Reynolds is.
More treatment in Denver. He will play next year for the Pokes.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:36 pm

Reynolds is.
Ike getting rehab in Denver is what I heard
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

LawPoke wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:12 pm The PR arm of UW and the Athletic Department had better get on the stick. The players' parents are burning it down on the way out - even asserting that they had to basically evacuate their kids because they were receiving death threats. True or not - this sort of garbage could devastate recruiting and our rebuild. A mamby-pamby, bland press release won't cut it.
BTW - I call BS on the death threats. That is wholly unbelievable. No one cared enough about any of the three to threaten them. They were invisible here, therefore no one would possibly feel strong enough about them to care that much
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:57 am
BTW - I call BS on the death threats. That is wholly unbelievable. No one cared enough about any of the three to threaten them. They were invisible here, therefore no one would possibly feel strong enough about them to care that much
Agree. Social media sucks, you can basically put whatever you want out there, and a plethora of uneducated asshats is going to buy it. Ridiculous.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
wyosports
Buckaroo
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

I wish I could be as optimistic as most of you about what the future holds for the program under Linder. In the next 30 days we will be down to five, maybe six players on scholarship for next year. That leaves a lot of recruiting to be done and more than likely without your best recruiter. Bringing in new coach that can recruit and trying to find 6-8 new players will not be easy. I hope that I am wrong, but I can't see how next year gets better.