NIL

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 142 times

Probably would be an NCAA violation, but could UW charge or have the option to donate an extra $2 per ticket sold to go to a NIL cooperative? Something like what stores do when they ask you to donate or round up to starving children That would be some good coin to distribute to Athletes. the money would have to go straight to whatever cooperative started. We need to think outside the box. Thoughts? Other Suggestions?
W-Y, Until I Die!
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 126 times

laxwyo wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:51 am Probably would be an NCAA violation, but could UW charge or have the option to donate an extra $2 per ticket sold to go to a NIL cooperative? Something like what stores do when they ask you to donate or round up to starving children That would be some good coin to distribute to Athletes. the money would have to go straight to whatever cooperative started. We need to think outside the box. Thoughts? Other Suggestions?

I have no idea if it’s legal or not, but we have to pay processing fees equal/more than that. I’d put in a few xtra bucks to go to the cause.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 304 times
Been liked: 119 times

laxwyo wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:51 am Probably would be an NCAA violation, but could UW charge or have the option to donate an extra $2 per ticket sold to go to a NIL cooperative? Something like what stores do when they ask you to donate or round up to starving children That would be some good coin to distribute to Athletes. the money would have to go straight to whatever cooperative started. We need to think outside the box. Thoughts? Other Suggestions?
STOP IT. That kind of forward thinking is against everything the UW AD has done (or not done) the last 15 years. ;)
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 229 times

McPeachy wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:27 am
STOP IT. That kind of forward thinking is against everything the UW AD has done (or not done) the last 15 years. ;)
It's not really worth considering at all IMO. NCAA rules clearly prohibit schools from directly paying athletes for the use of their name, image and likeness. But more importantly, pay like that coming directly from the University would then transform the athletes into state employees. Talk about a whole host of new issues.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:58 am
McPeachy wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:27 am

It's not really worth considering at all IMO. NCAA rules clearly prohibit schools from directly paying athletes for the use of their name, image and likeness. But more importantly, pay like that coming directly from the University would then transform the athletes into state employees. Talk about a whole host of new issues.
Perhaps it's time to separate the CJC from the University. Make it an independent non-profit conduit...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Wyovanian wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:04 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:58 am

Perhaps it's time to separate the CJC from the University. Make it an independent non-profit conduit...
Not a bad idea...run it as a 501 C3 - make the CJC stand on their own 2 feet for everything, with the BOD and the Admin of said non-profit be appointed by the President, Governor, and Trustees - and held accountable to higher standards / expectations.
Dear Karma,

OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:11 pm
Wyovanian wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:04 pm

Not a bad idea...run it as a 501 C3 - make the CJC stand on their own 2 feet for everything, with the BOD and the Admin of said non-profit be appointed by the President, Governor, and Trustees - and held accountable to higher standards / expectations.
I do like the idea of the CJC being independent but then I am pretty sure CJC donation requirements for tickets likely could not be a requirement. This would be akin to giving public funds to a private business.

But then again I generally disagree with the idea of paying college athletes similar to professional sports models. This would be a poor use of money IMO.

Also, the IRS is already heavily scrutinizing these NIL collectives and I am doubtful that they will fit under a 501(c)(3) designation for long (meaning donations would not be tax deductible).
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:19 pm
McPeachy wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:11 pm

I do like the idea of the CJC being independent but then I am pretty sure CJC donation requirements for tickets likely could not be a requirement. This would be akin to giving public funds to a private business.

But then again I generally disagree with the idea of paying college athletes similar to professional sports models. This would be a poor use of money IMO.

Also, the IRS is already heavily scrutinizing these NIL collectives and I am doubtful that they will fit under a 501(c)(3) designation for long (meaning donations would not be tax deductible).
You can disagree with NIL all you want, but that particular ship has already sailed. To ignore it or wish it away is nothing but sand planting one's head.

CJC as a 501-C3 would be the opposite of what you described- private (non-profit) funds going to a public institution. Both could operate under memorandum-of-understanding vis a vis donations and season tickets.

I might add that by dint of players promoting an independent CJC, the payment of NIL money to them would probably be perfectly legal.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Wyovanian wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:46 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:19 pm

You can disagree with NIL all you want, but that particular ship has already sailed. To ignore it or wish it away is nothing but sand planting one's head.

CJC as a 501-C3 would be the opposite of what you described- private (non-profit) funds going to a public institution. Both could operate under memorandum-of-understanding vis a vis donations and season tickets.
You're right that the NIL ship has sailed. And from a legal standpoint, it is absolutely right. The question for each university/program is do they want to participate in such an arms race? Do we really want to target our donor dollars to give 18 year old kids millions? From my perspective - the answer should be no and there will certainly be a divide amongst programs creating further division in 'college' athletics.

If I had to guess, I'd guess that the California transfers did receive some NIL 'guarantees' to come to Wyoming. Especially because Ethan Anderson's mom posts about mentoring athletes and their NIL dollars. Was that donor money well spent?
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:58 pm
Wyovanian wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:46 pm

You're right that the NIL ship has sailed. And from a legal standpoint, it is absolutely right. The question for each university/program is do they want to participate in such an arms race? Do we really want to target our donor dollars to give 18 year old kids millions? From my perspective - the answer should be no and there will certainly be a divide amongst programs creating further division in 'college' athletics.

If I had to guess, I'd guess that the California transfers did receive some NIL 'guarantees' to come to Wyoming. Especially because Ethan Anderson's mom posts about mentoring athletes and their NIL dollars. Was that donor money well spent?
As far as ANY "donor money", it came from the donors directly, NOT from a pool of public donations. You'd have to ask the "donors" behind any NIL payments about that.

We can either play ball (no pun intended) with the reality of NIL, or we can fold our revenue programs. Even FCS schools will be in the thrall of NIL. It is what it is. Participate or give up. Sounds like you would opt for the latter.
wyosports
Buckaroo
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

A friend of mine who was a division one head coach for 20 plus years, now owns a NIL company in Las Vegas and works directly with 4 schools in the Mountain West. It’s a big business and schools at all levels are participating. In my opinion UW will need to have a long term plan to deal with this issue if we are going to stay competitive.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

wyosports wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:59 pm A friend of mine who was a division one head coach for 20 plus years, now owns a NIL company in Las Vegas and works directly with 4 schools in the Mountain West. It’s a big business and schools at all levels are participating. In my opinion UW will need to have a long term plan to deal with this issue if we are going to stay competitive.
It's also a turbulent business right now. Investing directly in speculative talent of 18-year-olds is going to have its pitfalls. I'll keep my powder dry and watch and see how things shake out over a few recruiting classes...

But you're right- it is the "new normal" to use a very tired cliche...
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

The CJC could sell beer and $1 from every beer goes to NIL. How many beers they sell per game? x 6 home games. Fixed. :lol:
W-Y, Until I Die!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

laxwyo wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:43 am The CJC could sell beer and $1 from every beer goes to NIL. How many beers they sell per game? x 6 home games. Fixed. :lol:
Good idea, I could get on board with that. The University could license beer and wine sales to a 3rd party non-profit NIL collective. The University takes a fee and lets the collective do whatever it wants with the earnings. Frankly, the collective would probably come up with some interesting ideas to promote beer and wine sales (i.e. different and rotating beers). The University then could shift some of the liability by requiring the collective to carry commercial liability insurance. Seems like a win-win.

Wow, very good idea that makes a lot of sense on several levels.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Wyovanian wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:58 pm

As far as ANY "donor money", it came from the donors directly, NOT from a pool of public donations. You'd have to ask the "donors" behind any NIL payments about that.
It would be the same people. An NIL collective is unlikely to acquire much in the ways of new big donors here in Wyoming. So the donor money would basically be redirected from facilities and capital improvements to the pockets of 18 year olds.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:43 am
laxwyo wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:43 am The CJC could sell beer and $1 from every beer goes to NIL. How many beers they sell per game? x 6 home games. Fixed. :lol:
Good idea, I could get on board with that. The University could license beer and wine sales to a 3rd party non-profit NIL collective. The University takes a fee and lets the collective do whatever it wants with the earnings. Frankly, the collective would probably come up with some interesting ideas to promote beer and wine sales (i.e. different and rotating beers). The University then could shift some of the liability by requiring the collective to carry commercial liability insurance. Seems like a win-win.

UW already takes 50% (if not more) of all sales. TOP LINE SALES. Not profits. You think those greedy mufu's are going to give that up for NIL? I don't!
Dear Karma,

WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Realistically, a Mountain West level NIL collective is going to probably have to shell out at least half a million a year to be competitive. I don't know if beer sales are going to cut it for that amount.

San Jose and Boise both have NIL collectives set up already from what I can tell.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:20 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:43 am

UW already takes 50% (if not more) of all sales. TOP LINE SALES. Not profits. You think those greedy mufu's are going to give that up for NIL? I don't!
They need to find ways to funnel money from the university to the nil program. There’s some money in booze and what appears to be an easy way to “move it”. Honestly, if we’re not borderline pushing ncaa infractions on nil, we’re not trying hard enough. Until they reign in nil and transfers, it’s the Wild West. We need to get the peace makers out.
W-Y, Until I Die!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

laxwyo wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:22 pm
McPeachy wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:20 am

They need to find ways to funnel money from the university to the nil program. There’s some money in booze and what appears to be an easy way to “move it”. Honestly, if we’re not borderline pushing ncaa infractions on nil, we’re not trying hard enough. Until they reign in nil and transfers, it’s the Wild West. We need to get the peace makers out.
Agree, but the current UW admin is simply not good at working outside their typical comfort zone / four walls. That is my primary bitch, we need people in that department that have fresh new ideas, sparkling personalities that don't judge, and a path for future greatness mapped out and in process. The same old poop day in day out just isn't working, and hasn't worked for 10 years plus. I would be good with a complete flush of the department - but that takes balls - another thing lacking at UW.
Dear Karma,

Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:39 am
laxwyo wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:22 pm

Agree, but the current UW admin is simply not good at working outside their typical comfort zone / four walls. That is my primary bitch, we need people in that department that have fresh new ideas, sparkling personalities that don't judge, and a path for future greatness mapped out and in process. The same old poop day in day out just isn't working, and hasn't worked for 10 years plus. I would be good with a complete flush of the department - but that takes balls - another thing lacking at UW.
Unfortunately, it is the established culture of most public employees, and academia, NOT to challenge themselves out of their comfort zone, and NOT to indulge in the executive thought experiment of "How do I help things to the point that my current position is no longer necessary?" Most of them view themselves, and their colleagues who agree, as indisepnsable in perpetuity to the enterprise.