UW and conference realignment

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 595 times
Been liked: 238 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:23 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:33 pm

Yeah, this isn't going to end well for us. Honestly, depending on how this goes, I'd almost prefer 8 or 9 regional teams and call it good. Is it time to start discussions with the Montana schools? Would they be interested?
WYO
AF
UNM
NMSU
UTEP
UM
MSU
usu, nv, or??
I agree with you and think this is where we are eventually headed when it all shakes out over the next 5-7 years. I don't think the Montana schools are interested in changing their situations. I think we will more likely see some hybrid of the left behinds and the WAC schools trying to move up to FBS.

https://www.deseret.com/2022/12/9/23501 ... y-join-fbs

Say Hello to...
Stephen F. Austin (WAC)
Abilene Christian (WAC)
Utah Tech (WAC)
Southern Utah (WAC)
Tarleton State (WAC)
Austin Peay (Atlantic Sun)
Eastern Kentucky (Atlantic Sun)
Central Arkansas (Atlantic Sun)
North Alabama (Atlantic Sun)
no. We'll be wherever CSU, NM, Nevada, and USU are. I also think UNLV Fresno and Boise will be with us too. Do the Montana schools and NDSU join us? We shall see.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 292 times
Been liked: 124 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:36 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:23 pm

I agree with you and think this is where we are eventually headed when it all shakes out over the next 5-7 years. I don't think the Montana schools are interested in changing their situations. I think we will more likely see some hybrid of the left behinds and the WAC schools trying to move up to FBS.

https://www.deseret.com/2022/12/9/23501 ... y-join-fbs

Say Hello to...
Stephen F. Austin (WAC)
Abilene Christian (WAC)
Utah Tech (WAC)
Southern Utah (WAC)
Tarleton State (WAC)
Austin Peay (Atlantic Sun)
Eastern Kentucky (Atlantic Sun)
Central Arkansas (Atlantic Sun)
North Alabama (Atlantic Sun)
no. We'll be wherever CSU, NM, Nevada, and USU are. I also think UNLV Fresno and Boise will be with us too. Do the Montana schools and NDSU join us? We shall see.
How much of this depends on if the other schools want us with them. It’s no secret if you read the Goat U message board, they don’t want us in their conference. They believe they are superior. Might be why I dislike Goat U so much. I see the same arrogance as BYU toward us. They definitely believe they are superior, even though………..Boot.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:33 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:51 am

This article just came out:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pac-12-expan ... 53449.html

This would reduce the conference to about 8 and could result in some sort of poaching of the WAC/CUSA I suppose. Wyoming might end up in a conference with the likes of the Sam Houston States of the world unfortunately.
Yeah, this isn't going to end well for us. Honestly, depending on how this goes, I'd almost prefer 8 or 9 regional teams and call it good. Is it time to start discussions with the Montana schools? Would they be interested?
WYO
AF
UNM
NMSU
UTEP
UM
MSU
usu, nv, or??
Is the new Ms Commish doing anything to enhance/protect the MW conference. I hear nothing!
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:23 pm Before we get to the point where there is no more music and no more chairs to sit in how about Burman gets up off his ass and does something bold like making application in getting the Pokes into the B12?
Interesting MW ADs pay. Burman is last.

https://nevadasportsnet.com/news/report ... in-2022-23
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

Another thing to watch will be what the entire landscape will look like. I just saw a report that the "P2" schools will likely make 30 million MORE than schools in the other conferences. That's not sustainable (to keep pace) for the schools left in the other "P3". Realistically, a few key additions to the Power 2 and we might be looking at a completely new power structure modeled after the NFL.

The formation of the P2 label will have the same effect as the P5/G5 labels. Will the P2 separate entirely?

This is going to get interesting in the next 5-10 years.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 50 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:21 pm
flyfishwyo wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:09 pm

It would reduce the size and quality of the MWC to a conference that would be basically equivalent to the new PAC. I'm not sure all of those schools would leave to join the PAC if the money was the same as the MWC.
Cal
Stanford
SDSU
WSU
OR State
csu
bsu
unlv
Fresno

Would be quite a bit better than

WYO
UNM
AF
usu
NV
SJSU
HI
??
Cal and Stanford aren't staying in that group. They would go independent if they're left out. Without them it's like the MWC plus Oregon St and Washington State.

Guys, if you want it to make sense look at the athletic budgets and then subtract the money each gets from their conference TV deal. That'll give you a pretty good idea of where each school is right now.

The PAC is going to lose more schools and can't replace them with a school of similar value. There isn't anyone even close to their region who can bring value to a TV deal.

The four corners schools will leave for the Big 12 for slightly more money, and a bigger voice. Oregon and Washington are valuable. They're going to the B1G. It may take a while, but it'll happen. Cal and Stanford may go, too. If they don't they'll look to separate from the leftover PAC because there isn't enough money in that deal to make it worth their time. Good chance they could become independent. Maybe Stanford joins the B1G with Notre Dame.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 141 times

The one thing really saving our ass is the tv deal for the pac expiring. Teams will want to leave if they can and tv won’t want to make a deal until they know who’s in the league. Time might kill the PAC.
W-Y, Until I Die!
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

laxwyo wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:05 pm The one thing really saving our ass is the tv deal for the pac expiring. Teams will want to leave if they can and tv won’t want to make a deal until they know who’s in the league. Time might kill the PAC.
I can’t think any network is real interested in a contract until they have confidence of Oregon and Washingtons plans. I don’t see them staying.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 50 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:15 pm
laxwyo wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:05 pm The one thing really saving our ass is the tv deal for the pac expiring. Teams will want to leave if they can and tv won’t want to make a deal until they know who’s in the league. Time might kill the PAC.
I can’t think any network is real interested in a contract until they have confidence of Oregon and Washingtons plans. I don’t see them staying.
And then it's a free-for-all. Any school with TV value is going somewhere else.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 60 times

flyfishwyo wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:23 pm
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:15 pm

And then it's a free-for-all. Any school with TV value is going somewhere else.
It absolutely is a free-for-all. If you can make 3x or more what you are making now...why not? Even if it comes at the expense of traditional rivalries...who cares? If you are Washington...you can still schedule Washington State...but you will probably be at a decided advantage going forward if your program has double the resources (or more). Seems like if you can make the move, there is no reason not to, or at least the reason not to has nothing to do with money and is only about tradition or an outdated notion of amateurism in athletics.

This represents the stick that Wyoming is at the short end of. For our population, we have robust support. The problem is that peer institutions are in population centers that come with far higher built in market size. We me have about the same (roughly) fan base of UNLV or UNM today...but we don't have a population that will support much growth of that fan base. Wyoming is basically utilizing it's population as supporters of the University far more efficiently than most of the MW. The only way Wyoming could grow it's market is if it had gone the Boise State route and become nationally relevant and built a national following. That obviously did not happen.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:23 pm I don't think the Montana schools are interested in changing their situations.
For what it's worth, I recall having this discussion with some fans of one of the Montana schools a while back, and they said they literally aren't in a financial position to make the jump, even if they wanted to.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 103 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:42 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:36 pm
How much of this depends on if the other schools want us with them. It’s no secret if you read the Goat U message board, they don’t want us in their conference. They believe they are superior. Might be why I dislike Goat U so much. I see the same arrogance as BYU toward us. They definitely believe they are superior, even though………..Boot.
Their fans can believe that all they want. The administration knows that these schools all make each other better.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

WYO1016 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:36 am
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:42 pm

Their fans can believe that all they want. The administration knows that these schools all make each other better.
suds, Fresno, bsu, and csu will jump at almost any alternative to the MWC. Yeah, the PAC tv deal will be a lot less than it is now but won't be worse than the MWC's even if they only hold onto 4 or 5 teams.

Who knows how this plays out but those 4 and probably others will jump at a PAC invite even if only wsu and osu left. It's improvement by subtraction. Subtract small market, small value teams, and pick the best remaining G5 teams in 3 time zones to roll in under the pac name. Absorb most of the remaining money and take advantage of the PAC's playoff spot.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

I just don't understand what D1 means to schools like us anymore, basketball yes football nope sorry...
.tired of being a perennial doormat
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

stymeman wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:22 am I just don't understand what D1 means to schools like us anymore, basketball yes football nope sorry...
.tired of being a perennial doormat
I don't know what it will be called but I'm wondering if we'll be at d1, fbs, or whatever after 2025. My hunch is that this major realignment will take focus and center on access to the playoff. I'll bet a lot of teams get left out when the playoff/bcs is renegotiated.
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

If CSU had any value in the Denver market, they would have been taken by the Big XII when they did their exhaustive expansion search and then decided to stay put. So what was said above is true, Wyoming is as valuable as CSU in the Denver market, with no value whatsoever.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 222 times

cowpoke pride wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:35 am If CSU had any value in the Denver market, they would have been taken by the Big XII when they did their exhaustive expansion search and then decided to stay put. So what was said above is true, Wyoming is as valuable as CSU in the Denver market, with no value whatsoever.
CSU's lack of value in the Denver market is directly related to their relative lack of success in football and basketball over the past 20 years. The Denver market is full of CSU grads...just uninterested grads due to the athletic failures. If they were consistently going to bowl games, they would be gone.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Starting to wonder if Stanford, cal, Oregon, and Washington go big. 4 corner schools go b12.

Pac12 becomes wsu, osu, bsu, sdsu, Fresno, unlv, smu, + a few from usu, csu, rice, af or?

The pac12 imploding will not be good for us and I'm afraid that is getting more possible by the day.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 297 times
Been liked: 119 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:52 am Starting to wonder if Stanford, cal, Oregon, and Washington go big. 4 corner schools go b12.

Pac12 becomes wsu, osu, bsu, sdsu, Fresno, unlv, smu, + a few from usu, csu, rice, af or?

The pac12 imploding will not be good for us and I'm afraid that is getting more possible by the day.
It is all a guessing game at this point. Best case scenario for WYO and our lazy-assed athletic department...(not gonna happen):

Utah
Oregon State
Washington State
Arizona State
Arizona
Airforce
CSewe
Fresno State
SDSU
Utard State
Boise State
Wyoming
New Mexico
UNLV
Nevada
SJSU

Hawaii - Go Independent you fools!
Utah - Go with little brother bWHYu to the BIGXX
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
WyoGeezer
Buckaroo
Been liked: 2 times

Mighty Utah, Arizona and Arizona State back with lowly Air Force, CSU, Wyoming and New Mexico? WOW! Roll the calendar back to 1978. No BYU? Great!