Sheep are PAC12 Targets

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

if UNLV hasn’t been invited anywhere based on market yet, CSU sure as hell isn’t. Vegas metro is close to Denver but UNLV is only school in the area while no one cares about CSU. Yes, they are probably a better candidate than Wyoming but that’s not saying much. If they get invited anywhere it’s because it’s closing time and PAC just looking to go home with anyone and survive.
Last edited by laxwyo on Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
W-Y, Until I Die!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:17 pm Good points by many. But just imagine the extra dollars that would be available that could be sent to the football team if we didn't have to fund a few sports nobody cares about? Eliminate golf, swimming, women's soccer, volleyball, cross country. That's a lot of extra dough available if those programs didn't exist.
One huge problem...ever hear of a law called Title IX plus Wyoming has to have a minimum of sports to be a full member of the MW.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 12 times

I've been around since 1958 so yeah I'm aware of all of that. But thanks for the refresher course.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

Are they really targets though? No. Just an op-ed poop dart thrown at a poop dart board.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

McPeachy wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:04 am Are they really targets though? No. Just an op-ed poop dart thrown at a poop dart board.
Depends on what you mean by "real". If you mean "does thier name come up when a conference is doing thier due diligence?" .... That seems plausible. But if you mean a conference is starting the expansion/invitation process with CSU at or near the top of the list...I don't think that is happening.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

laxwyo wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:08 pm if UNLV hasn’t been invited anywhere based on market yet, CSU sure as hell isn’t. Vegas metro is close to Denver but UNLV is only school in the area while no one cares about CSU. Yes, they are probably a better candidate than Wyoming but that’s not saying much. If they get invited anywhere it’s because it’s closing time and PAC just looking to go home with anyone and survive.
They is a good point...UNLV seems that they would be a plum target from a market perspective. Something about them feels like a commuter school though. Vegas is a very transitory city so perhaps the lack of deep generational fans hurts them?

Definitely lots of things play into the profile of the university that gets the attention and invitations to the more prestigious conferences.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

McPeachy wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:04 am Are they really targets though? No. Just an op-ed poop dart thrown at a poop dart board.
Exactly. Such a stupid thread here
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Everything hinges on timing and the playoff negotiations (in 2 years, I think).

Until the new playoff format is agreed to and extended, nobody knows what will happen. If the playoff moves to the P2, then A LOT changes. If pacwhatever, maintains an autobid while g5 loses autobid, the pac will poach. If pacwhatever loses p5 or whatever status, then they will fold or seek to be best if whatever remains.

The next step will completely remake college football. Arguing over who gets relegated to the dregs with us is a fool's errand. We know we'll be with the dregs. After that, does it really matter?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:27 am
Nobody is putting a gun to anybody's head and forcing a discussion about how the landscape of college football is affecting Wyoming athletics. If all you want to do is discuss narrowly about actual contests then, by all means, go right ahead. Otherwise, the content of this thread (and others that people feel compelled to weigh in on merely to opine about how dumb the topic is) is squarely within the bounds of what matters to a lot of Cowboy fans.

FWIW...I don't think CSU will get "called up to the majors" once the dust is settled, but, as I pointed out before.....I would imagine they are in a few discussions that we are not.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:09 am Everything hinges on timing and the playoff negotiations (in 2 years, I think).

Until the new playoff format is agreed to and extended, nobody knows what will happen. If the playoff moves to the P2, then A LOT changes. If pacwhatever, maintains an autobid while g5 loses autobid, the pac will poach. If pacwhatever loses p5 or whatever status, then they will fold or seek to be best if whatever remains.

The next step will completely remake college football. Arguing over who gets relegated to the dregs with us is a fool's errand. We know we'll be with the dregs. After that, does it really matter?
I think it does matter who is the left behinds. The CSU and Air Force rivalries matter to a lot of Wyoming fans. The interest in football and basketball would likely wane if we were to lose those conference rivals. Best case scenario for Wyoming is that the PAC mostly holds and SDSU is the only departure.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:17 am
LanderPoke wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:27 am
Nobody is putting a gun to anybody's head and forcing a discussion about how the landscape of college football is affecting Wyoming athletics. If all you want to do is discuss narrowly about actual contests then, by all means, go right ahead. Otherwise, the content of this thread (and others that people feel compelled to weigh in on merely to opine about how dumb the topic is) is squarely within the bounds of what matters to a lot of Cowboy fans.

FWIW...I don't think CSU will get "called up to the majors" once the dust is settled, but, as I pointed out before.....I would imagine they are in a few discussions that we are not.
I think the definition of majors has changed. The Big 10 and SEC are the majors. The Big 12 and ACC are AAA. The PAC is currently AA. The rest of the FBS conferences are somewhere between Rookie Ball and Single A.

CSU stands a much better chance than Wyoming of moving somewhere else.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:33 am
307bball wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:17 am

In what regards?

Facilities? No.
Wins/Losses? No.
Attendance? No.

Demographics / Population? Ok. So, are you saying that is the "better chance"? Does CSewe really have more eyeballs watching them than Wyoming? Recent studies wouldn't indicate so.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:40 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:33 am

In what regards?

Facilities? No.
Wins/Losses? No.
Attendance? No.

Demographics / Population? Ok. So, are you saying that is the "better chance"? Does CSewe really have more eyeballs watching them than Wyoming? Recent studies wouldn't indicate so.
Location, demographics, student enrollment and even funding.

Sorry but Laramie is one of the most difficult colleges to get to without a major airport and with roads in and out being closed an average of 20 days per year. Population growth is expected to be relatively minimal (while the front range continues to blow up). Enrollment at UW is stagnant and expected to decline next year. I don't think it would matter if we won every football or basketball game for the next 5 years, no 'big boy' conference is looking at Wyoming as a potential target.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:48 pm
McPeachy wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:40 pm

In what regards?

Facilities? No.
Wins/Losses? No.
Attendance? No.

Sorry but Laramie is one of the most difficult colleges to get to without a major airport and with roads in and out being closed an average of 20 days per year. Population growth is expected to be relatively minimal (while the front range continues to blow up). Enrollment at UW is stagnant and expected to decline next year. I don't think it would matter if we won every football or basketball game for the next 5 years, no 'big boy' conference is looking at Wyoming as a potential target.
I don't think UW's enrollment is anticipated to decline. It's stable. There was a slight decline the past two-three years due to pandemic-related retention issues which are national issues. This year was the third largest freshman class ever. I think another large class is anticipated in the fall and the University is working on retaining students, as well. I foresee growing attendance at UW
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:29 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:48 pm

I don't think UW's enrollment is anticipated to decline. It's stable. There was a slight decline the past two-three years due to pandemic-related retention issues which are national issues. This year was the third largest freshman class ever. I think another large class is anticipated in the fall and the University is working on retaining students, as well. I foresee growing attendance at UW
Nope, projected incoming class is well behind where it was last year. Things could change but expectations are for a decrease.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:42 pm
Nope, projected incoming class is well behind where it was last year. Things could change but expectations are for a decrease.
Whether it declines, stays stable or goes up...it will not be in the ballpark of CSU anytime soon. as of the fall of '21, I believe they had a 3x undergraduate enrollment advantage. Of the 12 MW schools Wyoming ranks ahead of only AFA. Just to move up one spot we would have to nearly double our current enrollment (based on 2021 numbers).

UW is doing great when you compare it to it's past self (mostly). But that is not the comparison that matters. How does it stack up against "peer" institutions? If you consider the MW to be in that category...there is not many ways that Wyoming has some great advantage. It's not like we are getting left in the dust though...so there's that.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Source?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:48 pm

Source?
Trustworthy.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:49 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:48 pm
Source?
Trustworthy.
ha. OK
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:51 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:49 pm

Trustworthy.
ha. OK
BTW - it is not just Wyoming that is potentially facing incoming class decline potentials over the next few years. There are less students to go around overall.