Who will be back for 23-24

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 224 times

Something positive - we won’t finish any worse in the MWC standings next year.
sandiegopoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 15 times

Pokes4L wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:37 pm
Don’t think it’s fair to blame the portal… i think if you find the right kids they will stay. Look at the top programs… not many guys leaving those spots.
I stayed at the same hotel as Arkansas at last year's first and second round and worked out in the gym with Eric Musselman every day. We ended up talking about the portal. He said it's a double edged sword, in that you can look for people you need and couldn't get last year, but you can also provide a way out to people who aren't fitting in to your program. The people you want to keep, you have to re-recruit every year.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 292 times
Been liked: 124 times

SDPokeFan wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:51 pm All this transfer crap makes it really hard to even get interested in the team. You don't know who is going to be on the team from one minute to the next. If Graham leaves this team may not win a game next year.
I’m not sure how to take no news on Ike, regarding transfer. Is it good he hasn’t declared early, or is it better for him to delay, if that’s his intent. I look for news about 3 x’s a day. Not sure how to look at it.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

I’m betting on Ike being back. I’m guessing there is already an NIL deal in place.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:50 pm I’m betting on Ike being back. I’m guessing there is already an NIL deal in place.
Pretty sure, by dint of our deal with Adidas, all of our players get NIL money. Whether or not it's adjustable, I'm not certain...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Wyovanian wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:29 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:50 pm I’m betting on Ike being back. I’m guessing there is already an NIL deal in place.
Pretty sure, by dint of our deal with Adidas, all of our players get NIL money. Whether or not it's adjustable, I'm not certain...
My guess is Something more substantial not related to adidas.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

I saw a post on Facebook where Graham was spending time in a Cheyenne grade school. He stated he was doing crafts and shooting hoops with the kids. I’m encouraged. He spent some time last week at a Boys and Girls club. Making me think he’s here to stay and investing into the Wyoming community.🤞
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:28 pm
I saw a post on Facebook where Graham was spending time in a Cheyenne grade school. He stated he was doing crafts and shooting hoops with the kids. I’m encouraged. He spent some time last week at a Boys and Girls club. Making me think he’s here to stay and investing into the Wyoming community.🤞
Yea - this is a big part of my thinking.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:18 am

Pure class in Graham Ike. That’s the type of kid I want in the B&G. Many of the players are like this, Jeffries (gave a bunch of stuff to my son he signed) had him come down on the court after the Nevada game last year, Wenzel talked with him at a Cowboy football game, Dusell, and Maldo is just a great person. Graham will do a lot for this program off the court, and will likely help recruitment. I hope he has a nice NIL deal.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 595 times
Been liked: 238 times

Graham and many of the cowboys seem like really decent people. Good job, men
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

I am more optimistic about Ike staying at UW next year, and how much he will help in recruiting players. I really think Linder learned some things about recruitment this year, and think he could really build around Ike, Wenzel, Powell, Dusell, and whoever he recruits………. I’m optimistic about next year. That’s what I said about 22-23, but that was last season.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

If Ike was returning, why doesn't he just say so? I'm guessing he's keeping his options open because he really doesn't stand to benefit by returning to UW. It will take a miracle of miracles for us to be in the top 1/2 of the conference. And with such a weak team around him, he will be double teamed constantly. That won't be good for his stat line.
wyo 1
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 4 times

bladerunnr wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:36 am If Ike was returning, why doesn't he just say so? I'm guessing he's keeping his options open because he really doesn't stand to benefit by returning to UW. It will take a miracle of miracles for us to be in the top 1/2 of the conference. And with such a weak team around him, he will be double teamed constantly. That won't be good for his stat line.
Weak team around him? I didn’t know the roster was full now, who did we pick up?
Linder is the same coach that had the #1 recruiting class in the conference when he first got here, I believe he probably knows who and what he wants again. IMO, it’s way to early to write off next year especially if Ike comes back.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

bladerunnr wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:36 am If Ike was returning, why doesn't he just say so? I'm guessing he's keeping his options open because he really doesn't stand to benefit by returning to UW. It will take a miracle of miracles for us to be in the top 1/2 of the conference. And with such a weak team around him, he will be double teamed constantly. That won't be good for his stat line.
Why does an athlete need to declare that they are not leaving?

But I think the NIL deal is done.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 103 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:48 pm
Wyovanian wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:29 pm

My guess is Something more substantial not related to adidas.
If money was the only factor Graham would have been gone after last season.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 66 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:52 am
Why does an athlete need to declare that they are not leaving?

But I think the NIL deal is done.
That's a good point, actually. No, he doesn't have to say anything. For some inexplicable reason, I thought he would reveal his decision on social media.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

I am pretty much thinking the same thing. My sense is that he is all-in on Coach Linder and seems to be cut from similar mental cloth as Hunter Moldenado. Besides, Laramie is a short drive for his family from his home in metro Denver.

Did anyone notice that Wentzel is staying, and it was his dad that spoke up for Coach after the midsection exodus, even though Coach has reportedly been particularly hard on Wentzel? There will eventually be a sort for players who fit.

My guess is that we are only really losing two players to the Portal who would have stayed in a bygone era. I'm also sure that kids who aren't pro-bound will eventually see the risk of the Portal and be more likely to stick around.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

WyoExpat wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:25 pm
I am pretty much thinking the same thing. My sense is that he is all-in on Coach Linder and seems to be cut from similar mental cloth as Hunter Moldenado. Besides, Laramie is a short drive for his family from his home in metro Denver.

Did anyone notice that Wentzel is staying, and it was his dad that spoke up for Coach after the midsection exodus, even though Coach has reportedly been particularly hard on Wentzel? There will eventually be a sort for players who fit.

My guess is that we are only really losing two players to the Portal who would have stayed in a bygone era. I'm also sure that kids who aren't pro-bound will eventually see the risk of the Portal and be more likely to stick around.
In fairness, Wenzel has already used the transfer portal and he would most likely have to sit out a year if he were to transfer again. But I do think he has the right attitude.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:16 pm If the Wyoming basketball team had zero returning players next year... Would we be worse?
We might find out...
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 34 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:03 pm
307bball wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:16 pm If the Wyoming basketball team had zero returning players next year... Would we be worse?
We might find out...
No kidding. We are about four players from starting over entirely. Might as well be a JUCO if we're going to have an entirely new team every year.