2023 Recruiting: Late Signing Period

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

LawPoke wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:18 pm
PokeTransplant wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:40 pm

Still, it would be refreshing for coach to take this opportunity to "open the kimono" so to speak and take control of the narrative as to what really happened, and his plan going forward. Is he really looking to just grab warm bodies as a stopgap, or is he going to play the long game with regards to re-building the program? I have very low expectations for next year, but would like to at least hear the plan for getting the fans excited for Cowboy basketball again.
No question. I'm not sure how I would play it if I was Linder. I would be primarily concerned about getting the class signed. What I don't know is whether a public mea culpa would help or hurt.

In any event, based on my initial rummaging through the names of those we are targeting - it looks like we are looking for any port in the storm. O/U for wins next year: 11.5
Is that the current Vegas O/U? I don't even know how we could begin to predict that without even knowing who our players are. If we have a young team that wins 12 games next year but that shows a lot of promise, I'd probably be OK with that considering where we are coming from.

I agree with PokeTransplant and that was my earlier point. I hope we don't just fill a roster with some guys just to fill a roster (unless we have 3-4 seniors/grad-transfers). If we have to play next season with 3-4 or so open scholarships, then that's what we should do rather than to offer the scholarships to just available players with limited upside and marginal D1 talent.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:02 pm

No question. I'm not sure how I would play it if I was Linder. I would be primarily concerned about getting the class signed. What I don't know is whether a public mea culpa would help or hurt.

In any event, based on my initial rummaging through the names of those we are targeting - it looks like we are looking for any port in the storm. O/U for wins next year: 11.5
Is that the current Vegas O/U? I don't even know how we could begin to predict that without even knowing who our players are. If we have a young team that wins 12 games next year but that shows a lot of promise, I'd probably be OK with that considering where we are coming from.

I agree with PokeTransplant and that was my earlier point. I hope we don't just fill a roster with some guys just to fill a roster (unless we have 3-4 seniors/grad-transfers). If we have to play next season with 3-4 or so open scholarships, then that's what we should do rather than to offer the scholarships to just available players with limited upside and marginal D1 talent.
When Linder had nearly a full roster to fill before, I seem to remember that he and the staff made an effort to space out the scholarships. Problem is - what did that get us? How can you map out a multi-year plan to keep scholarship talent coming through the program each year when one bad season opens the floodgates out of the program? I don't envy him thats for sure.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

Coaching staff is excited about something today

LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:02 pm

No. Just me laying out an O/U - where I would put the line right now.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

WYO1016 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:48 pm Coaching staff is excited about something today

Mason Walters just committed.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Mason Walters has 1 year of eligibility remaining according to his earlier Twitter post. So this is definitely not a program builder but a stop-gap measure.

SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

I can’t get real excited about signing an NAIA player. Don’t care how good he was at that level. It’s half a step above half acre ball.
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 12 times

SDPokeFan wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:38 pm I can’t get real excited about signing an NAIA player. Don’t care how good he was at that level. It’s half a step above half acre ball.
Considering the schools that also showed interest, I can take a little comfort that we didn't get beat out by one of the other schools on that list. But then again, we have become pretty much any school on that list......

Still, Welcome Mr. Walters to UWyo and the Cowboys! I wish only the best for you achieving your athletic and academic goals at the school that helped me achieve the success I have enjoyed during my career after attending that great University.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

SDPokeFan wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:38 pm I can’t get real excited about signing an NAIA player. Don’t care how good he was at that level. It’s half a step above half acre ball.
I hope that Mason contributes and helps us compete and win. I don't think that we can compete for a top-half finish with the kids I am seeing Linder targeting. We will be lucky to win 10 games with them.

I think that Linder is behind the 8 ball for the upcoming season and has a huge hill to climb. In my view, this is a disaster of Linder's own making. He should be on a very short leash next year.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Welcome to Wyoming, Mason!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

LawPoke wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:56 am
I hope that Mason contributes and helps us compete and win. I don't think that we can compete for a top-half finish with the kids I am seeing Linder targeting. We will be lucky to win 10 games with them.

I think that Linder is behind the 8 ball for the upcoming season and has a huge hill to climb. In my view, this is a disaster of Linder's own making. He should be on a very short leash next year.
Yeah. I am not getting warm fuzzies, but it's still early, I suppose.
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

Another signing it looks like, no word on who it is yet.
wyosports
Buckaroo
Has liked: 4 times

Looks like the guard from Florida is on his visit. I think this would actually be a really good get if it is him.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

wyosports wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:25 am Looks like the guard from Florida is on his visit. I think this would actually be a really good get if it is him.
Well if he commits then he can’t say he didn’t know what to expect. From Florida but in a big Laramie April snowstorm currently.
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke

247 is reporting that Nigel Cook has committed to play at Wyoming. Definitely has some hops and looks like decent 3 pt shooter with some long range.
https://247sports.com/Video/Nigle-Cook- ... -11659012/
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

PokeTransplant wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:06 am 247 is reporting that Nigel Cook has committed to play at Wyoming. Definitely has some hops and looks like decent 3 pt shooter with some long range.
6'6" shooter with hops. I like. Hope he can pack on some pounds in a college strength program.
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke

Poke in New England wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:03 pm
PokeTransplant wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:06 am 247 is reporting that Nigel Cook has committed to play at Wyoming. Definitely has some hops and looks like decent 3 pt shooter with some long range.
6'6" shooter with hops. I like. Hope he can pack on some pounds in a college strength program.
Still have questions about our strength and conditioning program for BB. Doesn't seem like our guys grow into their frame like similar kids at other programs do....
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Kobe Newton of Fullerton College signs. He is a a guard with 2 seasons of eligibility left.

https://www.fchornets.com/sports/mbkb/2 ... _kobe_6t25
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Anyone else getting this vibe? Hoping for similar results!!

bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

PokeTransplant wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:23 pm
Poke in New England wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:03 pm

Still have questions about our strength and conditioning program for BB. Doesn't seem like our guys grow into their frame like similar kids at other programs do....
Nate Barnhart was in the program 2 years and looked like he could barely bench press a broom handle.
So I think your concern is warranted.